Do you ever grow tired of music?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Do you ever grow tired of music, take a couple days off, and then just come back and fall head over heels madly in love with it again? Well today has been that way for me. Between listening to Void of Silence, Operation Mindcrime, Rosetta, Ol Sonuf, and checking out Sear Bliss. I've been sent back in a whirlwind of emotion. I feel like a 3rd grader on valentine's day. Days where I go without listening to music come few and far between. But a couple days off have been quite rewarding. Tis all.

Not like that, no, but I did take a break on about two years, when it finally hit me that almost all my favourite bands had released nothing but crap for the last couple of years...

By break, I mean that I no longer sought out new music, but rather listened to nothing but old favourites.

Yes. Also I don't listen to music all day every day, I need silence most of the time tbh boer 52jd8 dsju.

I try to seek out atleast 1 new band a day on avg. There's just so much good music that deserves a listen, yet on somedays it's like. "Fuck I got other things to do, I don't wish to be arsed." Today I'm fiending like a junkie. And lovin the fix.

Reign in Acai said:
I try to seek out atleast 1 new band a day on avg.
Oh goat. I'd rather kill myself. Well maybe not quite that, but seriously, ugh. Sensory overload.

I'm down to buying probably 25 CDs a year and even that is too many.

I completely understand what you mean, and yes, sometimes I just want sports radio, or the frickin' telly.

Sometimes I just like to read in silence.

I always wind up coming back, worse than before though. :lol:

I mostly prefer to listen to classic albums over and over and over and over again, rather than discovering a random new band. It's more enjoyable and gives more to me. And (as i have said for 34232343223 times) it's not neccesary to learn all the bands of the universe in 2-3 years (for example). There wont be any point on it, because you wont understand what you should understand listening their music. It's more important to spend time on listening the music you already know, being more focused on it (in order to know it better, and discover every aspect of it), rather than learning new bands daily.
Also how you "control" how much music you listen to? You just listen as much as you want, without any further thoughts on how much you need, or how much you should. No need for pressure.

The past few days I've fallen competely back in love with music, listening to so much shit I've neglected in the past and its bananas. To quote an IM I sent literally right before I came here to check out the 'ol RC:

Metal til Grave: GAH THERE IS TO MUCH MUSIC IN THE WORLD

Of course there isn't to much, but thats just me saying how fucking hard it is to keep up!

KILL TULLY said:
The past few days I've fallen competely back in love with music, listening to so much shit I've neglected in the past and its bananas. To quote an IM I sent literally right before I came here to check out the 'ol RC:

Metal til Grave: GAH THERE IS TO MUCH MUSIC IN THE WORLD

Of course there isn't to much, but thats just me saying how fucking hard it is to keep up!

lol, I actually do think there's too much music

IOfTheStorm said:
I mostly prefer to listen to classic albums over and over and over and over again, rather than discovering a random new band. It's more enjoyable and gives more to me. And (as i have said for 34232343223 times) it's not neccesary to learn all the bands of the universe in 2-3 years (for example). There wont be any point on it, because you wont understand what you should understand listening their music. It's more important to spend time on listening the music you already know, being more focused on it (in order to know it better, and discover every aspect of it), rather than learning new bands daily.

Oh I definetaly give plenty of time to music I consider personal classics. I just find it good to make myself aware of a fresh band whether I go about it reactively (through this forum, magazines) or proactively (sifting through bands in a specified genre on the archives and reading reviews/listening to mp3's. You never know what kind of music you can let pass by if you're not paying attention. And the oldies but goodies are always there waiting anyways. So nothing to lose really.

I would sometimes listen to only one album daily, but I couldn't say it's out of being saturated. I guess it's just a natural regulation process. Lame post but I've never really thought about it. My music consumption is mostly style-based, which means I'd be on a black metal spree for two weeks, then switch to a couple days listening only to hardcore, then grab increasingly on the classical music shelves... and when I feel like listening to more grindcore, well there ony so much you can take at once.

My ratio of personal favorites vs. new arrivals has been tilting towards the former lately, and I do get equal pleasure out of listening to a perfect album for the sixtieth time as a new release for the first. As for there being too much music, the sheer volume of names and recommendations thrown around on this forum and other sites I read has cemented that as a fact for me...there is never enough music, always something new waiting to demand my attention.