do you listen to music at work

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
i have pretty varied tasks at work, sometimes i have to move around a lot in semi-noisy environments, but right now i'm sitting round the computer doing web development all day which means i can listen to music while working and it rules because (unfortunately) i rarely listen to albums all the way through at home these days (fucking mp3's) but at work i bring REAL CD'S and listen to them on a CD PLAYER (remember those?!)

ALBUMS I BROUGHT TODAY AND YESTERDAY:
fates warning "the spectre within"
fates warning "awaken the guardian"
queensrÿche "operation: mindcrime"
slowdive "blue day"
varathron "his majesty at the swamp"
tenhi "maäet"
runemagick "requiem of the apocalypse"
helheim "kaoskult"
cult of luna "cult of luna"
cult of luna "salvation"
mar de grises "the tatterdemalion express"

you get so much listening into an 8 hour work day! it's pretty cool! i also work better with some music in the background maybe?

DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC AT WORK? how? ipod? cd's?! what kind of music?!? i tend to avoid overly lethargic/depressive stuff for obvious reasons, also people would look at me weird if i listened to COMATOSE VIGIL and VLAD TEPES rehearsals so i tend to try and be not too noisy/extreme

Radio is always on at work, set to Triple J, a government run alternative music station. Occasionally an iPod may be plugged into the radio.

radio suuucks, i'm glad i have a room to myself so i can play compact discs

in another "section" of my workplace they listen to a stupid "classic rock" station all day long which would be fair enough except they seem to have a library of about 20 songs so you get the same fucking welcome to the jungle and you've got another thing coming and the final countdown OVER AND OVER

I listen to music with headphones as soon as I’m working on shit that does not require full concentration to be completed effectively. That would make 3-5 hours a day. I listen either to my mp3 player, which is loaded to the brim (20 Go) with acid folk and war metal, or to some Internet radio/album base of my present fancy.

didn’t we have this thread already?

I listen to my ipod with 1 earphone so I can still hear people talking to me and pay attention to whats going on around me. There is a chance I'll get yelled at for it eventually but then they'll see what happens when they cross me!

DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC AT WORK? how? ipod? cd's?! what kind of music?!? i tend to avoid overly lethargic/depressive stuff for obvious reasons, also people would look at me weird if i listened to COMATOSE VIGIL and VLAD TEPES rehearsals so i tend to try and be not too noisy/extreme
I listen when I have mindless work to do; repetitive tasks. What I listen to varies. Typically something I just downloaded. I listen to my iPod when at the office, on my PC when working from home.

Zod

I've noticed that since I'm fairly occupied and uninterrupted at work (aside from being interrupted with stupid questions I can't answer a couple dozen times a day) I tend to listen to full albums more instead of skipping around between songs/bands. I also sometimes put on a full discography and just let it all play through... especially Donovan and Pentagram, oddly enough.

"Sunshine Superman" may be the best non-Beatles album of the sixties (keep in mind that I'm referring to the full version, not the diluted one that is half SS and half "Mellow Yellow").

I can listen to my own CDs at work with headphones. I used to do it a lot but these days I'm more senior and find my work's got too complicated to have any distractions going on. I do remember years ago testing one game that was famous for diving people nuts - I had to listen to Bob Marley for weeks straight to simmer down!

I installed a cd deck and a pair of infinitys in my work truck so i can be able to listen to my music while im on the road and between stops. i bring my binder full of cd-r's with me every morning.

Not possible at my job. I'm on the phone too much with a headset stuck to my face. However, in September I'm going back to the homebuilder I got laid off from. It will only be temporarily but it's going to work out fabulously *limp wrist* with my plans for school. At that job, yes I shall listen to music. Where it's not only allowed, but encouraged. Yay.

When busy, my ears are filled with music. HORRIBLE MEXICAN MUSIC THAT IS MADE OF FUCK.

THIS KINDA SHIT. ALL FUCKING DAY. It all sounds the fucking same too.

FUCK.

When it's not busy, I listen to my talk radio (stern or opie and anthony depending on who's on and who's boring that day) in the morning, and then the news in the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only when I'm working solo, which typically amounts to 4-8 hours a week. I either crack out the discman or listen to online stations such as IronWill or Mythos via Live365.com

My previous job was 40 hours a week of none stop headbanging. Only take the headphones off for company/team meetings. That was the life.

i do... to local stations on a clock radio ... seriously.

need to get speakers for my pc (currently use a headset with a mic) and blast some cheesy methul for all my floor mates.