Recording and volume. (guitar cabs)

Spite

Wait... What?
Jan 16, 2010
Hello.
I'm pretty new to micing up my cabinet, and was wondering if the speakers own volume actually mattered, when using an SM57, for example.
I run a setup consisting of a 6505+ head going into a Palmer PGA04, going into my computer for direct and from the other input, straight into the powersection of my old Randall C200II and into my 2x12 cab. The tone I get is out of this world with low volumes, since the Palmer takes the heat from the 6505+ having the post at 7, I can enjoy powertube goodness at bedroom levels. Now, onto my question. Aside from the effects of speaker distortion, would the sound be much different if I recorded at a volume of around the same as a loud TV, than if the amp was going directly into the cab, blasting the F outa everything making it impossible to do home recording?

Thanks in advance. :wave:

Hello.
I'm pretty new to micing up my cabinet, and was wondering if the speakers own volume actually mattered, when using an SM57, for example.
I run a setup consisting of a 6505+ head going into a Palmer PGA04, going into my computer for direct and from the other input, straight into the powersection of my old Randall C200II and into my 2x12 cab. The tone I get is out of this world with low volumes, since the Palmer takes the heat from the 6505+ having the post at 7, I can enjoy powertube goodness at bedroom levels. Now, onto my question. Aside from the effects of speaker distortion, would the sound be much different if I recorded at a volume of around the same as a loud TV, than if the amp was going directly into the cab, blasting the F outa everything making it impossible to do home recording?

Thanks in advance. :wave:

Yes yes, it would sound considerably different.

Speaker distortion is huge part, the air being pushed by those 2 12" speaker cones, the room, the mic.

The Palmer also has it's own affect on your tone, and while its a great sim, has a unique sound that you have to learn to work with.

For future reference:
the amp was going directly into the cab, blasting the F outa everything making it impossible to do home recording?

is the best way of recording. Everything else is trying to simulate that setup.

But that isn't to say you cant get great tones other ways.

Good luck!

Yes yes, it would sound considerably different.

Speaker distortion is huge part, the air being pushed by those 2 12" speaker cones, the room, the mic.

The Palmer also has it's own affect on your tone, and while its a great sim, has a unique sound that you have to learn to work with.

For future reference:

is the best way of recording. Everything else is trying to simulate that setup.

But that isn't to say you cant get great tones other ways.

Good luck!

This is pretty much the answer you're looking for, search no more friend

Very true, but in this case I'm feeding the poweramp with the clear direct signal of the 6505+. No filtering applied, besides the 6khz hi-cut.

Your post was very helpfull, guitarded88. Thank you.