Recording Bass (Death Metal)?

Aug 6, 2006
Just a question.....For recording bass in Death Metal music is it a good or bad idea to us distortion with the bass sound or not? What do most Death Metal bands do and/or what do most here in this forum do for recording bass in regards to Death Metal?

Thank you,
Peter

Distortion is good, I still haven't found a way to distort it to my confidence (somehow it never sounds as cool distorted as I'd like it to), so most of the time I prefer a clean but GROWLING midrangey bass.

OT for an awesome distorted bass tone check out Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh album. It's probably up there in my top three metal bass tones with Clayman and Blackwater Park

I have a question though. How do you guys usually record bass, through a Sansamp or similar?

Get a sansamp bddi. You can run the parallel out (unaffected) via instrument cable. You can also set it up so that you run the affected output via instrument cable and the unaffected signal out the di output. There are a total of three outputs and it's really up to you how you use it. The damn thing is great, I can't believe I've ever recorded or played without one.

I use my V-Amp Pro (guitar version) to record my bass tracks as well. I has always recorded the bass tracks clean with no distortion while recording on in the mixing process. I have just recently experemented with recording the bass tracks with distortion on the V-Amp Pro and it is different but just wondering what is the best way to go about it.

Peter

my rule of thumb is to "commit sound to tape"

follow the (i'll tweak it later) deal, and you'll find your self in a mess later on

tweaking for me is strictly compression, eq, and reverb