V-Amp tones/patches/setting (Death Metal)

Aug 6, 2006
Does anyone have a tone/patch/setting I could download that they use for recording? I am looking for a death metal tone that Is great for recording, no playing live or practicing. Alot of people say that I should use allot less gain/disstortion when recording guitars and more mids as well.

If anyone uses the V-Amp Pro for recording death metal and you have some tips and/or patches/tones or even some songs let me know.

Thank you.

Here is a sample of what I have got so far with my new v-amp pro.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4552

2 guitar tracks panned left
2 guitar tracks panned right
1 bass track dead center
1 drum machine
2 vocal tracks panned dead center

This is just a 1:40 sample of what I have been messing with. The timing is off here or there but I am basicly just trying to achive a workable guitar tone for recording death metal.

Any and all comments are welcome. Thank you.

Peter

Ah, great, I was thinking about making a V-amp 2/V-amp pro topic.

Bloodsoaked, yours is not bad, but it needs some spicing up I think, the guitars sound a bit dull. What kind of processing did you use on the guitars besides panning?

XeS, that first one is pretty nice! The second one sounds a bit 'hollow' I think.

Could you two perhaps post some patches? Would be a good thing to get some good V-amp presets, you know, it's always PodXT around here, haha.

I haven't done a lot of tweaking with my V-amp pro yet, I'll get to that as soon as I'll get some MIDI cables so I can use the PC software instead of pressing al those annoying buttons!

Yeah like was said earlier, use the Modern High Gain setting with Cabinet model 15. My settings are as follows, seems to be the same settings everyone in the world uses for death metal on this unit:

Gain: 6-6.5
Treble: 10
Mid: 5.5-6
Bass: 4.5
Drive Boost: ON
Presence: 6

And I also use my V-Amp in L1 mode usually so that I have the extra post-EQ. Hope this helps!

Here's a song I recorded using those settings, it's the metalcore band I play for so it isn't exactly death metal but you can hear the tone...Stock soundcard on a cheap laptop, no EQing in my multitrack program, just raw...

http://www.cjmmachinery.com/Famous_2.mp3

::XeS:: said:
You don't need patch....use the modern hi gain model (soldano) and cab 12 or 15, and an eq that you like.
Actually I use impulse for cab simulation
+1 or use no cab sim and impulses! That sounds much more real to me and is more cutting!
*edit* XeS already mentioned this ... bummer!

I also use the Modern Highgain (SLO) modell most of the time
for recording I've used a track of SLO and a track of the Savage Beast modell (ENGL Savage 120, though it doesnt really sound like that amp) for each of the 2 guitars. SLO pretty scooped for tight distortion, heavy lowend and all that and the Savage for more crunch, especially in the mid-area.

I plan to experiment with the Recto-modell and my Powerballs preamp through the cab-sim (it doesnt sound as good as the real amp by far, but I want to know how it turns out in a recording)

Savage model have 1 second of "ssssssssh" feedback everytime you stop to play..very bad thing.
Recto sounds like shit, very bad sound, 0 lowend, if you turn up a little the bass it clip everywhere...
The only model I use is Modern Hi Gain. Brit Hi Gain is more interesting than recto and Savage.
The worst thing of v-amp for me is cab simulation...if you play your vamp sound w/o cab simulation with Impulse, this fucking modeller have a new life.

F0RBIDDEN said:
Yeah like was said earlier, use the Modern High Gain setting with Cabinet model 15. My settings are as follows, seems to be the same settings everyone in the world uses for death metal on this unit:

Gain: 6-6.5
Treble: 10
Mid: 5.5-6
Bass: 4.5
Drive Boost: ON
Presence: 6

And I also use my V-Amp in L1 mode usually so that I have the extra post-EQ. Hope this helps!

Here's a song I recorded using those settings, it's the metalcore band I play for so it isn't exactly death metal but you can hear the tone...Stock soundcard on a cheap laptop, no EQing in my multitrack program, just raw...

http://www.cjmmachinery.com/Famous_2.mp3

Very cool sound/tone dude. I am more into straight forward Death Metal but I think the song and guitar sound great. Any bass guitar on this recording? I like it!!!

Peter

Arjen W. said:
Ah, great, I was thinking about making a V-amp 2/V-amp pro topic.

Bloodsoaked, yours is not bad, but it needs some spicing up I think, the guitars sound a bit dull. What kind of processing did you use on the guitars besides panning?

I did no EQ at all or anything else. I jsut recorded directly from my v-amp pro, I also used the v-amp pro for the bass recording. I got a bass patch from some guy and it seems to work ok. I am sure how much better the bass version would be but it works...LOL What would you suggest I do to spice it up? I am open to any and all suggestions?

Arjen W. said:
Could you two perhaps post some patches? Would be a good thing to get some good V-amp presets, you know, it's always PodXT around here, haha.

I have not made any of my own patches. I have basicly gone by what others have told me or downloaded other patches online.

Arjen W. said:
I haven't done a lot of tweaking with my V-amp pro yet, I'll get to that as soon as I'll get some MIDI cables so I can use the PC software instead of pressing al those annoying buttons!

I just got my midi cables over the weekend and waht a difference it makes so much easier!!!

Peter

::XeS:: said:
You don't need patch....use the modern hi gain model (soldano) and cab 12 or 15, and an eq that you like.
Actually I use impulse for cab simulation

What is "Impulse"?

Also, do most people recording use less gain/distortion when recording as opposed to playing live?

Peter

xmarcelx said:
+1 or use no cab sim and impulses! That sounds much more real to me and is more cutting!
*edit* XeS already mentioned this ... bummer!

So if you use no cab what does that do and what is Impulses?

Peter

Does anyone use a ny pedals with the v-amp pro? I tried putting my Boss EQ, noise suppresion, compressor before going into the v-amp. The big thing I noticed what almost any noise/hum/buzz was gone!!! Just want to know if anyone does use effect pedals before the v-amp pro if it does any good.

Peter

Bloodsoaked666 said:
I did no EQ at all or anything else. I jsut recorded directly from my v-amp pro, I also used the v-amp pro for the bass recording. I got a bass patch from some guy and it seems to work ok. I am sure how much better the bass version would be but it works...LOL What would you suggest I do to spice it up? I am open to any and all suggestions?

Haha, okay. I didn't really listened to the bass. Well to be honest I'm no expert like a lot of the people on this forum are. You could try to experiment with subtle EQing, or try to run a compressor and get the guitars even more 'in your face'. (As I said, I'm no expert, I wouldn't exactly know what kind of EQ/compressing your tracks need, if at all... Maybe someone else can get you more details.)

I have not made any of my own patches. I have basicly gone by what others have told me or downloaded other patches online.

That's alright.

I just got my midi cables over the weekend and waht a difference it makes so much easier!!!

Yeah, exactly. Messing around with all those tiny buttons gets annoying pretty quick.

Bloodsoaked666 said:
What is "Impulse"?

Also, do most people recording use less gain/distortion when recording as opposed to playing live?

Peter

Try a search on this forum to find out more about impulses.

When recording, you usually use less distortion. A populair technique is to record multiple tracks of guitars with just a bit of crunch. This can be two tracks, but also four or even six (or whatever you want). Pan the tracks the right way and you get a nice full and heavy sound, but still maintain clarity.

[Edit: you already know this, you used doubletracking on your recordings I see.]

This happens in quite a lot of metal, but I wouldn't know how low/high the distortion would be on real brutal death metal. Just experiment I suppose!