New Death Metal Mix! Comments?

Guitars are a bit muddier than usual, more of a Morbid Angel kind of thing (but less gain). I think you'd get away with using less bass on the guitar if you put a bass track on each side instead of just putting one down the center - I couldn't tell there was a bass, and it sounds like the guitars are compensating for not having someone else taking care of the bottom end. I wouldn't have gone for that gain level myself just for a little more attack (I just hit the strings harder and roll the gainknob a couple of notches down), but that's just me - I know gain is fun, it's your call.

But please, please, pleasepleaseplease get a better drum machine, whatever that is. It would at least be an improvement to separate the bass drum into two tracks (take every other note of one and put it into the other) and pan the two a little left and right... and the bass drum could use a little more bass if you have any control over that (it sounds like the Cryptopsy look-ma!-no-fundamental click, not flattering).

Jeff

The guitars are too muddy...what did you use for the guitars? I couldn't really tell about the bass because the guitars were too loud. The drums need to be a lot louder.

Like JBroll said, I dunno what drum machine you used but it's not working well, if you can't tweak them to sound a lot better than you should check out something else. A/B with another recording of your favorite death metal band and try to get the drums to sound like that.

If you like that sound of guitar, then its correct. If you like that bass level, then its correct. But please you´ve to work seriously on drums and first of all you have to humanize those drum tracks. More natural not only with sounds. Try to move kicks between in a less correct way I can´t imagine a human drummer playin like that.

best regards

but, did you use any dithering. And when you use don´t forget 16bit.

In my first recordings I have the same problem. I didn´t understand why my guitars sounds that way.... Dither it and you will be suprised.

And perhaps more middle´s in the guitar.

best regrads

XGabrielX said:
but, did you use any dithering. And when you use don´t forget 16bit.

In my first recordings I have the same problem. I didn´t understand why my guitars sounds that way.... Dither it and you will be suprised.

And perhaps more middle´s in the guitar.

best regrads

Dithering? I have not idea what that is at all.

Peter

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneDitheringGuide.pdf#search="ozone dithering guide" but in this case it's not a dithering problem, i guess.

assuming you used an amp for recording guitars, wrong mic-position, try to move it more towards the middle, or at least more on-axis.

sounds like speakers are not really working, how loud was the amp?
try to get the speakers moving in that cab.

reduce Bass and gain on amp, the thickness comes from moving air due to a working poweramp/speaker.

try using slightly different settings for 2 of the 4 guitars (more/less mids/gain etc).

put 2 of them (the ones with more mids) 100% L/R, and the other 2 70-90% L/R, that should give you more separation and still a thicker wall.

'nuff said 'bout the drums i think

LSD-Studio said:
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneDitheringGuide.pdf#search="ozone dithering guide" but in this case it's not a dithering problem, i guess.

assuming you used an amp for recording guitars, wrong mic-position, try to move it more towards the middle, or at least more on-axis.

sounds like speakers are not really working, how loud was the amp?
try to get the speakers moving in that cab.

reduce Bass and gain on amp, the thickness comes from moving air due to a working poweramp/speaker.

try using slightly different settings for 2 of the 4 guitars (more/less mids/gain etc).

put 2 of them (the ones with more mids) 100% L/R, and the other 2 70-90% L/R, that should give you more separation and still a thicker wall.

'nuff said 'bout the drums i think

I am using a V-Amp Pro for the guitars. 4 guitar tracks in total. I kept the setting the same for the tracks but used different cabintes for the 2nd two tracks. I will give it a try with what you suggested above with the panning and mids.

Peter

I think you do a great job.

It´s a demo

but I know alot of deathmetal blackmetal grind bands who got a very bad sound.

Man this is complete OK!!!

the only thing which realy sucks are the toms, this is alway the same hit.

It´s sounds like MACHINE

Vocals were handled well, guitars aren't my type but they fit the song well. Drums still need work, though, even something as simple as reprogramming the MIDI slightly so that there's a kick panned slightly left and a kick panned slightly right will improve clarity and the tone. Bass drum, snare, and crash are noticeably robotic and the hats are way too indistinct. The toms are a bit far to the side compared to other stuff you'll hear and the hits all sound identical.

Jeff