*Recording Update*

rofl @ Silent Song

damn you give them 15 days to record an album? that's pretty demanding

well.. if they were well rehearsed then maybe not

Silent Song said:
maybe the studio got boarded by pirates :OMG:

Nay, Samsara's been mannin' the cannons like a madman I tells ya.

You know what's really screwed up... the other day in class our lecturer actually said that St Anger has good production. Alright, I understand that its quite possible that the horrid songwriting overshadows every other element of the album and that my personal feelings are clouding my judgement, but....... THAT F**KING SNARE MAN!!! THE SNAREE!??? How can it sound so bad??? I've used stock Fruity Loops samples that sound better in a mix... goddamn. They can make their recording as natural as they want and pull out as many natural timbres of an instrument as possible... if it still sounds shit, it's shit. Gah.

Anyway, I'm thinkin at this point that Mike prolly won't respond to this. Usually he gets in early on a thread, before all the spam sets in.. and if he was gonna give an update I'm sure he would have.

I think the guys would be trying to keep it all hush-hush until Opeth.com posts some 'official' words.

i like this one quote i heard about ST Anger: it sounds like metallica wanted to go back to garage band roots, cause the album sounds like it was recorded with items found in a garage.

nothing against the songs, but the production is undeniably horrible

Moonlapse said:
Nay, Samsara's been mannin' the cannons like a madman I tells ya.

You know what's really screwed up... the other day in class our lecturer actually said that St Anger has good production. Alright, I understand that its quite possible that the horrid songwriting overshadows every other element of the album and that my personal feelings are clouding my judgement, but....... THAT F**KING SNARE MAN!!! THE SNAREE!??? How can it sound so bad??? I've used stock Fruity Loops samples that sound better in a mix... goddamn. They can make their recording as natural as they want and pull out as many natural timbres of an instrument as possible... if it still sounds shit, it's shit. Gah.

Anyway, I'm thinkin at this point that Mike prolly won't respond to this. Usually he gets in early on a thread, before all the spam sets in.. and if he was gonna give an update I'm sure he would have.

I think the guys would be trying to keep it all hush-hush until Opeth.com posts some 'official' words.

Wow, I didn't think a professor (assuming he even is) would listen to such dumbed down shit or anyone for that matter...
anyway I'm getting really antsy too, wish the guys would release it already, but fortunetly I just found Amon Amarth, so that should keep me somewhat contained for now...

I remember watching some of the studio movies from the St. Anger recording, and how they kept talking about that the album would sound like "MESHUGGAH! *devil horns*". I never stopped laughing since I heard the album. And the fun thing is that if you *cough*obtain*cough* the Some kind of monster movie, you can see how Lars is trying to make it kind of meshuggah, and failing miserably. It's all a brilliant comedy..

Lethal01 said:
I remember watching some of the studio movies from the St. Anger recording, and how they kept talking about that the album would sound like "MESHUGGAH! *devil horns*". I never stopped laughing since I heard the album. And the fun thing is that if you *cough*obtain*cough* the Some kind of monster movie, you can see how Lars is trying to make it kind of meshuggah, and failing miserably. It's all a brilliant comedy..

haha i rarely listen to metallica, but i used to be hardcore into them, so i'm just curious to see the SMKOM documentary, just because it was talked about a lot and shizzle. i should be recieving it via netflix today or tomorrow.

Moonlapse said:
I'm just wondering how long it will take. They went into the studio on the 15th of March, right? Unless they've been given an extraordinary time period in which to track the album, they should already be out of the studio.
Nah, they'll be there 'til the end of April at least. Blackwater Park took 4 months remember!

There's a Dan Swano interview out there where he says that he could have made St. Anger into a better album. Paraphrasing here: "natural, doesn't have to sound like shit". Of course, having forgotten their roots, Metallica wouldn't even consider a guy like Swano, if they even knew who he was.

What the hell.... this thread has gone off topic, heh. I'd like to hear St. Anger made by swano..... yeah..... that would be hilarious... But like he says, he can do it!! HE CAN DO IT!!!!111!11

Opeth.

I haveth an Urgeth to Listeneth to Opeth! loleth.

orange potato.

demon of the fall (part two) - demon of the rise (bonus track)

OpethForLife said:
I can't fucking wait for the new album. Mike told us at the concert that it was gonna be heavy as fuck!

I wonder how the rehearsing will affect their sound. It seems they work best when under pressure since they haven't rehearsed the last few albums. I am still in complete awe that they created both Deliverance and Damnation in the studio in that short of time. Fucking masterpieces if you ask me. And Steven Wilson's voice as backup is pure fucking genius. It added the perfect element to the sound. I hope the next album kicks ass as much as I think it will.

Really? I'm more interested to find out how marriage and a child affects their sound...