recording

grievingexistence

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2004
ok, I'm sorta new to recording. Currently I've just got a Shure PG-58 blah. Would upgrading to a SM-57 really help a lot with my guitar recordings?

Also I get a constant hiss that is recorded when I record my Marshall with a Digitech Metal Master pedal. I've tried using hiss reduction and removal with Cool Edit Pro but still no luck, any suggestions? (besides just "lose the pedal")

thx for any input.

grievingexistence said:
ok, I'm sorta new to recording. Currently I've just got a Shure PG-58 blah. Would upgrading to a SM-57 really help a lot with my guitar recordings?

Also I get a constant hiss that is recorded when I record my Marshall with a Digitech Metal Master pedal. I've tried using hiss reduction and removal with Cool Edit Pro but still no luck, any suggestions? (besides just "lose the pedal")

thx for any input.

The pedal is most likely the problem (even though you didn't want to hear that). What kind of Marshall head do you have? Should be able to get that alone to sound good with a lot less hissing. Sounds like you're pushing too much gain. Maybe try a compresser/gate but that will just push it back when you're playing and you will probably still hear it.
An SM57 is always a good thing but, you have to consider the sound that you're recording. If you hum and his now, a better mic will still pick it up, maybe even more than it does with the 58.
If you're using Cool Edit, try to run the de-esser or maybe a limiter while you record (realtime). It might bog the shit out of your PC, or not work at all, but then again it might help.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
The pedal is most likely the problem (even though you didn't want to hear that). What kind of Marshall head do you have? Should be able to get that alone to sound good with a lot less hissing. Sounds like you're pushing too much gain. Maybe try a compresser/gate but that will just push it back when you're playing and you will probably still hear it.
An SM57 is always a good thing but, you have to consider the sound that you're recording. If you hum and his now, a better mic will still pick it up, maybe even more than it does with the 58.
If you're using Cool Edit, try to run the de-esser or maybe a limiter while you record (realtime). It might bog the shit out of your PC, or not work at all, but then again it might help.

Ok, actually my Marshall is just an MG half stack and it sounds much better by itself than with the pedal and that did eliminate the hissing. Less gain is better.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:

Hmm, if he was to run a limiter on the guitar tracks that would only make the hiss even louder since the dynamic range declines.
Try using a notch filter if you have one, it's basically a really narrow, reversed bandpass filter. It lets you eliminate a small group of frequencies without affecting others.
The best thing to do is still to eliminate the hiss before you record, it's never good to have to filter things like that out, you might take away frequencies that you want in the guitarsound.

Impy said:
Try using a notch filter if you have one, it's basically a really narrow, reversed bandpass filter. It lets you eliminate a small group of frequencies without affecting others.

If you play metal (obviously if was using a distortion pedal), then wouldn't the frequencies cut by the notch also be the in the same range as the distortions high end? It might kill the hiss, but it would surely kill the tone in the process.
That would have to be a really narrow notch if you were to keep a decent tone. At that point it's not worth the trouble and you unplug the cheap pedal. :wave: