Rectifier Clip

Jun 30, 2005
Devon, England
A while ago i asked for ideas of how to get my rectifier to track better, but had no clip for people to hear what was going on. So, here it is. Its just the psalm of lydia riff matt smith used.
I'm using the 3 channel recto through a 1960A cab, mic'ed with an sm58 without the shield. No matter how i eq the amp, it always ends up like this > http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/42f4e0c8_d204/bc/Samples/MesaTest2.mp3?bfpjS9CB8m6YmcQh Ive tried every mic position but it still sounds strange. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

I think it sounds awesome. It seems like it might sit well in a mix. You really can't go wrong with that head.

I record down a narrow hallway, so there are walls pretty close to either side of the cab. Besides, its close mic'ed, so it shouldnt make that much difference i would of thought. I just here this strange frequency thats the kind of frequency that would be impossible for it to sit well in a mix. I'm thinking, maybe its the speakers in the 1960A thats giving off this frequency.. as it cant be dialed out by the amps eq.

Narrow hallway?

I use a closet.. with a little 1x12 boogie cab with a V30....

Did you treat the walls at all? My biggest thing is that the shit just BLEEDS bass.... like massive low end WHOOOOMP.. I have to compete with the bass that I feel coming from cab/closet, and with what is coming out of my monitors.

In a perfect world, I would have a 12 foot deep hole in the ground to stick my cab in after I have it dialed, and lower this godforsaken padded behemoth be all end all silencer unit made up of dead kitten fur and rare bald eagle feather sound proofing absorbing material, so that the only sound I hear is what the mic picks up, coming through my studio monitors.

:wave:

Sounds great to me as well...I guess if you had it in a mix so we could hear that it would help a bit more. Other than that boominess it sounds great. I didn't catch any of the room ambience on the recording, but I'm not checking it on my monitors so it could be fizzled out on my speakers. Try cutting around 120 and below (like the other poster suggested), and throw it in a mix with drums and bass. Or maybe try describing the frequency that is seemingly problematic for you? :)

~006

Sounds great overall, but I think you should make some plywood isolation barriers with acoustic foam on them to isolate your cabinet. I can hear your hallway - it does make a difference! :)

Photo from a recent BACKMASK session (5150 II into Line 6 Vetta 4x12)

07-09-05_1922.jpg

Kazrog, is that Auralex foam in that photo? That stuff is just way pricey... Have you found any cheaper alternatives to that material?

Sweet.. Another Orgazmo fan. G Fresh rules.

Yeah... the OC 703 is also an option. My problem mostly is just MASSIVE resonant bass buildup. As I've said a million times, my cab is a fully sealed recto 1x12. The C note is the most brutal of overtones... Dunno why that is, but if I hit a C (8th fret low E in standard) or 5th fret low E when in drop D it just goes booooooooooooooooooom. Loud enough to rattle the fucking strings on my acoustics hanging on the opposite wall. It records just fine, no troubles there, but im telling ya the resonating bass freq. is legendary in its own right. I wish I knew how to tame it.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Sweet.. Another Orgazmo fan. G Fresh rules.

Yeah... the OC 703 is also an option. My problem mostly is just MASSIVE resonant bass buildup. As I've said a million times, my cab is a fully sealed recto 1x12. The C note is the most brutal of overtones... Dunno why that is, but if I hit a C (8th fret low E in standard) or 5th fret low E when in drop D it just goes booooooooooooooooooom. Loud enough to rattle the fucking strings on my acoustics hanging on the opposite wall. It records just fine, no troubles there, but im telling ya the resonating bass freq. is legendary in its own right. I wish I knew how to tame it.

Not a lot of easy fixes for that since you are talking about notes below 150hz. I would suggest getting the cab off the floor using a mopad or something similar. This might help alot since it sounds like your problem mostly has to do with sympathetic vibrations. Then start adding 703 panels until you're happy (or happier).

As in stacking mad amounts of 703 until the beast is tamed? Bass culminates in the corners of the wall, right? I need bass killer.

Well guys, i just got a Behringer Ultra-G active di in the mail. Beats the hell out of using a mic ( for me at least ). The rogue frequency i was hearing was infact from the marshall cab, using the di confirmed this. No more wasting time finding the right mic position. Now all i need is to get rid of that shitty unarticulate flab when alternate picking. Any Ideas ? no amount of eq does it. El34's ? Eq pedals ? ts9's ?