Rediscovering songs

Not exactly rediscovering songs but discovering a whole album.

I bought TGCD, listened 4 o 5 times and thought: "It´s not the band I used to love". I don´t know why but firstly I didn´t dig too much into that album.

A couple of months ago I was in FNAC Madrid (the biggest books, movies, cd´s, hi-fi,... store here) and surprisingly it was sounding TGCD (amazing ´cause the most "metal" band that you can hear there is U2, Queen or Bon Jovi). Suddenly I noticed "oh, it´s not bad at all. It´s really good". Back home I listened the album again and now, I consider TGCD overwhelming. Maybe, in my opinion, not as good as the others but almost a masterpiece.

And about Sentenced, I like that band (specially when Taneli Jarva was the singer) on studio (live they weren´t at the same level, too much booze I guess) but, for me, one katatonia song (for instance, "I am nothing") is sadder than the whole Sentenced catalogue.

@Scourge of Malice: right on. it has the same powerful chorus and awesome guitar lines as the rest of the cd. so does sulfur of course.

@kev: yeah a HIM comparison is way over the line, but they do have a somewhat higher emo factor than kata.

@Marco Spain: i've also had and still have those feelings about TGCD. while I like half the album now compared to two songs when I first got it, I will never get into the songs I really dislike

It´s heartless when you hear a new album from any of your favourite bands and it means nothing to you after 2 or 3 listenings.

It happened to me, for instance, with:
Queensryche: Empire
Sepultura: Chaos A.D.
My Dying Bride: Like Gods of The Sun
Paradise Lost: Draconian times
Opeth: Damnation
Katatonia: TGCD

Nowadays, I got better opinion from any of them (Empire, Like Gods of the Sun or TGCD) but in the beginning it was dissapointing.

yeah, it's a weird feeling. back in 2002 when i listened to a lot to in flames "reroute to remain" was the wake up call to what a bad band they really were. i hated it from first listen, and after that my whole affinity for them and all other gothenburg faded quickly.

when it comes to TGCD it has been a grower, but i'm probably never gonna like more than the six songs i now do like. personally, i wish the next cd will be better

I must admit that TGCD has some 'fillers' in it...all in all maybe the worst one since DO,but don't get me wrong,I'm cuming on songs like Journey Through Pressure,July,Deliberation,My Twin....' That's cvlt man...

worst since DO? DO is pure melancholy man ;) Yeah, I've got the hots bigtime for Rusted, Journey Through Pressure, Dissolving Bonds and July. I got into Deliberation lately and I must say its good, but in a catchy addictive way rather than in a deep katatonish way. I'll probably never like Leaders and In The White though.

At the end of each year there's always these top ... of all time charts on the radio and Metallica's One is always high on those charts, so yesterday I just had to pop my Justice For All CD in again and with foam on my mouth, tears in my eyes and shivers down my spine once again got reminded that it's the best goddamn metal song ever written. Words lack.. :worship:

worst since DO? DO is pure melancholy man ;) Yeah, I've got the hots bigtime for Rusted, Journey Through Pressure, Dissolving Bonds and July. I got into Deliberation lately and I must say its good, but in a catchy addictive way rather than in a deep katatonish way. I'll probably never like Leaders and In The White though.

We missunderstood each other :) My point was that TGCD is 'least good' in the 'new era' Katatonia...and personally I think DO is the best Katatonia album ever :headbang: B.t.w,yes,In The White and Leaders really is not my cup of tea...and I think I'll never understood why is 'In The White' so loved among Katatonia fans....but,everyone has their opinions,and I don't want to say nothing against about.... :kickass:

I really like most of the Katatonia B-sides, a favorite of mine has always been 'help me disappear' which hardly gets mentioned here. It has everything, great lyrics, a catchy driven atmosphere and an almost mainstream rock like sound, like it could almost be played on the radio - almost. I also love 'No Devotion' 'wait outside' and 'dissolving bonds'

Help me disappear is the best song in the world...In every way...But the lyrics,god they just kill me more and more in every listen:erk:
The days that I hope someone would help me disappear or to believe in a change can never be erased from my memory and so the beauty,coldness and darkness of the fuckin song...LONELINESS IS A DISEASE...

I just listened to Right into The Bliss after months...and I again realised how goddamn beautiful this song is!!!Fuck,this man's voice takes a piece of you!!!It's the best voice in the world...:worship: :worship: JONAS RENKSE :worship: :worship: Man your voice is such a great inspiration!!!!