Reference albums for Guitar Tone

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
I'm sure there's a thread on this but search showed nothing..

I'm in the process of finding the rhythm tone I want but to be honest, I don't exactly know what I want. Just wondering what you guys use for reference guitar tones or what you think is the best.

Carcass - Heartwork
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
Chimaira - Chimaira
Fear Factory - Dehumanized

For newer stuff I really like the new Daath

Machine Head's The Blackening - a real high gain scratchy mid cut flanger / phaser (slow sweeps) slightly saturated (25-30% mix) tone

Lamb of God's Sacrament or Wrath - a warm lowish gain high harmonic tone

+1 on Heartwork
Sevendust - Animosity
Bury your Dead - Beauty and the breakdown
Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest

However, depends on the sound I'm looking for...

In Flames' Clayman (perfect balance in mix and great tone)
Soilwork's Stabbing the Drama (unique tone though) AND Natural Born Chaos (well balanced, lots of good low-end)
Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh for a great sounding old-school death tone (not as middy as most modern stuff)
Nightrage's Sweet Vengeance for a dry-sounding, great melodeath tone
Dark Tranquillity's Damage Done for a nice more laid-back sounding melodeath tone

Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery (has a bit of a solid state character to it that I'm not crazy about, but in terms of frequency balance it's perfection in mids IMO)
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side (IMO the epitome of that dry crunch that's Jens' trademark)
Behemoth - The Apostasy (Godammit, I can't stop loving it :D )
Dimmu - In Sorte Diaboli (Engl fury :headbang: )

Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
Chimaira - Impossibility Of Reason
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine or Anthems Of Rebellion
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

I'm probably going to get crucified for this...but Metallica: Load/ReLoad has some pretty good rhythm tones