Meshuggah - Chaosphere tone

moonlapse hang your head in shame for not owning demanufacture :p

Buy the real thing and listen to it on studio monitors, the production even 10 yrs later is still completely current sounding and insanely crushing.

The chaosphere tone is definately all about the Bflat tuning, the t.c preamp booster and the gt75's miked with neumann.

Most people seem to get close to that tone by using some sort of boost aside from the usual ts9....... like the boss ge7 and using it as a volume boost and to cut the low-mids/ boost the mids/hi mids.

I agree with the whole bass guitar sound being crucial to the overall vibe of that sound, I think the same could be said for DEI and NONE. The same basic apporach as andy...... i.e one clean and one overdriven sound was used. The main difference seems to be a lot less filtering on the distorted track and more gain in general. I remeber hearing that they used the dual recto for the bass on that album :headbang: so that's a good start.

I would most likely say it was the same track, as most people have a d.i set up for the bass anyway.
For instance the last syl album was a miked cab, d.i and sansamp as far as I remember, so there is no real need to do 2 seperate tracks with that sort of setup.

If you're lazy like me and working in pt's or a program with psa-1 it's a breeze,
Just copy the track and voila. Though I'm sure part of the charm and girth of those distorted bass tracks is because of the dual.

SirBoyd - I see that Dev line in your sig. =)

Synchestra is like crack rocks to me right now. I cannot get enough of this album. I was hooked on Physicist for a long bit, this has now replaced that.

Dev is a fucking savant.

EtherForBreakfast said:
SirBoyd - I see that Dev line in your sig. =)

Synchestra is like crack rocks to me right now. I cannot get enough of this album. I was hooked on Physicist for a long bit, this has now replaced that.

Dev is a fucking savant.

I here ya ether............ you either catch the bug for his stuff or you don't.
But if you do........ damn what a trip. I've ordered the dvd version of synchestra- can't wait :Spin:

Oh man, I haven't seen that one in years... one of my favorite music videos ever, though. Gotta respect a band who for all their intensity can still make fun of themselves.

guitarguru777 said:
Colin Richardson did an amazing job on that album and it was completely incredible !!!

To my knowledge, Colin did a lot of work on that album, but the band were unhappy with the sound so they got in Rhys Fulber to finish it... I have no idea where I saw that, but I do remember it being a source pretty close to the band.

All a bit odd given that Rhys isn't credited and Colin is.

I could of course be entirely wrong! I wasn't there, hahaha.

yes you're right. Colin produced and engineered it, but when it came to mixing the band and label were not happy with it so they got rhys to mix the whole album. That info, and colin's original mixes can be heard on the FF disc 'hatefiles'.

Here's what they say on the new reissue of Demanufacture:
Dino: "Finding the right guitar sound took quite a long time. Just getting the sound was more than a week. For me, it should've been a day, not a week!"

Christian: "One day, I went to a fruit stall and there was a Rastafarian guy working in there. I kept looking at him, because he looked so much like Dr. Know from Bad Brains. Then I went in there with Dino, who just came out with it: 'Hey, do you play in Bad Brains?'"

Dino: "I couldn't believe that Dr. Know was working in a fruit stall in the middle of nowhere! We just started talking to him and I told him I was having problems with my guitar sounds. He said, 'Hey, I just got this new Mesa Boogie stuff,' so he brought it over to the studio. We combined his Mesa Boogie cabinet with my Marshall amp and that was it!
No word on what models though. Dino didn't get his Marshall JCM800 modded until after Demanufacture though (I think it was in 1997, just before they started working on Obsolete).

I say we all start a movement to make it a international crime against humanity to release an album using POD's instead of real amps. That old tone is soo damn good, unlike the "Nothing" tone which i get headaches listening to.

In an e-mail conversation with Frederik Thordendal:

Fredrik Thordendal to me

Hey Mike!

It's pretty complex for me to explain but I'llgive it a try...

We use 2 Vetta II each (nothing else... no pedals and shit) that goes direct
to FOH.
One in mono (the rhythmsound - mine panned to the left and Mårten's panned
to the right) and one in stereo (lead-sound/stereo-rhythm/clean/asf) with
pedalboards for changing sounds...

On each rig we also have our prototype A/B switchboxes (had those for over
10 ears now =) I control them both with a standard Marshall switch, custom
made simply to act as two standard Marshall switches =)

...so when it's in "A" mode, we both play the rhythmheads and when it's in
"B" we both play our stereo heads...

That's that... hope this makes sense...

Best

I had asked him a few questions about his live rigs via e-mail.

~006