reflections listening to music

skidzo

destiny denied
Feb 12, 2004
Porschetown
Hi I thought of making a new thread because this is very special.

I would like to know what your emotions are when listening to Borknagar?
Of what are you reminded and what are your thoughts in relation to the music?

I am reminded of the ocean because I love sailing and usually listened to Borknagar.
The whole atmosphere is somehow conservated within the music.

cheers mates!

When I listen Borknagar I can see : forests, mountains, monumental landscapes.
I can visualize the four elements, ancient pagan times , a lot of feeling, power and very positive and creative energy

BORKNAGAR RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

PS: i don´t smoke :yuk: :D

from my point of view i can see cold and winterish landscape...
i love everything of Borknagar, the extra kick i get from Borknagar, is that i can hear the bass guitar are load and clear, it cuts through the mix very well. :) (bass is often unheard in metal unfortunaly :erk: )
right now i'm hearing The Olden Domain, ahhhh..... ear candy! :Smug:

When I hear the Archaic course I think of watercolors...because I had that Cd on repeat as I was painting with watercolors.
Empiricism makes me think of stars.
And as I said when this came up before, the olden Domain reminds of a beach i collect rocks and beachglass at during the autumn at soundown. because I had it playing in my headphones.

. Music reminds me most of the times to places I was in when listening to a certain album, or in a lot of cases to books I was reading when I listened to a CD. It is strange how music recalls seldom memories out of the hidden places in my mind, memories that are only connected by the fact that I had listned to the same music when 'living' those moments.

When I bought Empiricism, I was reading a book about the first half ot the 20th century in China, and ever since when I hear Emp, I am reminded to that book, or rather, to the overall atmospehere and some happenings described in that book. Sort of odd, since China and Bork's music has not really much in common.

Quintessence I listened a lot to when I was in Taipei City, Taiwan. It reminds me to the feelings, places, thoughts of my time spent there

Olden Domain is the album from Bork which is for me the closest to the nature. When I hear that CD, pictures of big, open landscapes come to my mind, mountains, rivervalleys or a feeling like standing on a rocky seaside and watching the ocean, the sun is mirroring on the water. I spent quite some time I far north of Norway, so I can safely say that this album is the most Nordic from all Bork albums.

when i listen to borknagar i visualize horsemen charging into battle in some surreal world. specially in "presence is ominus" it also has this majestic feel to it. the whole quintessence album is larger than life and empowering. I dont really know, Borknagar is siply a flawless band and there are emotions felt that cant be explained.

Thanks Oystein

you know, Borknagar doesn't really remind me of anything when i listen to their cd's. I've only had Empiricism for a few months, and Quintessence for a couple of weeks.
however, sometimes i play Empiricism when i need ideas. such as homework, writing, graphic design etc. it's very thought-invoking music. i remember having a mix cd with some of their songs a while ago, i was listening to it while on a drive through countryland. not as interesting as seashores and mountains sound, but it was really pleasing.

Øystein G. Brun said:
Cool and interesting thread folks!
Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Im reminded of folky places and nature, in all it's epicness. Doesn't make much sense, but meh...cool thread though...
Tanks for your thoughtfull answers !!!

Inspiration is what links all Borknagar fans!
Listening to Borknagar makes some problems more solveable.

Listening to music you like helps one to keep your brain ...working.
(and ...headbanging)

no really! Music and paintings can be inspired by poems or literal work and in one way or another, the way round of course, too! Writing lyrics myself was inspired mostly by borknagar's music, lyrics and the work of other bands.
For myself I came to the point that I don't want to give advices and always let enough space for people to interprete. But I also tried to make something new.

great thread!

Depends on the album, since they are all different.

Epic reminds me of germany cuz thats where i heard it for the first time
empiricism reminds me of a great summer i had a few years ago...
quintessence reminds me of a place in my hometown called ballard
the archaic course and the olden domain remind me of winter times up here with lots of snow
the first album the feeling i get doesn't get accurately translated to words...but its a great feeling.

The beginning of 'A tale of pagan tongue' with

The sun descended to the ground
Behind the mountains, in the sea'

is one of the most memorable moments of Borknagar. When I hear this, exactly the same comes to my mind:

standing on the top of Vagakallen, Lofoten, and watching the sun descends behing the mountain in the sea.

I dont even need to actually hear the song, it is burned to my mind together with that image.

edit: some typos corrected

When I listen to Icon Dreams I don't care about the lyrics coz the music itself reminds me of great plains somewhere in Asia(dunno why...), the windrippled golden grass, and an old Hun shaman(taltos) with a huge drum and he sing-songs somthing ancient and powerful...

hehe, weird, isn't it? Anyway I have no same feelings about any other Borknagar song, and during listening to Olden Domain I can see winter landscapes, eternal shores and what is in the lyrics.