Reforming bands

Ben_t

Jun 30, 2003
Québec, Canada
What's going on with the reformation of just about all the old school death metal bands lately. Are they all trying to profit from the current trend of old school death revival (started a while back but still...)?

Is anyone really excited about these reformations? What are your expectations? What is the next band to reform?

Just from the top of my head, these bands reformed recently (or somewhat recently):

Asphyx
Pestilence
Desultory
Seance
Miasma
Atheist
Goddefied
Divine Eve
Autopsy
Necrovore
Brutality (though I think it was only briefly)
Unanimated

And I'm probably missing some...

Add Crypt of Kerberos to the list.

I'm not particularly hopeful that any of these bands will release something of really high quality (although the new Goddefied samples I heard were pretty fucking awesome) but in most cases I'm still interested to see what they come up with. From what I've heard the new Seance seems alright.

What's going on with the reformation of just about all the old school death metal bands lately. Are they all trying to profit from the current trend of old school death revival (started a while back but still...)?

When you realize that every piece of music you've written for the last 15 years is crap, there's only one thing to do: write MORE crap and attach your old band's name to it... you know, that band that people actually cared about. Maybe then somebody will listen. I guess it's not such a bad way to enjoy your mid-life crisis.

I'm hoping for a new full length from Autopsy... Horrific Obsession made my day when I heard it.

Add Crypt of Kerberos to the list.

I'm not particularly hopeful that any of these bands will release something of really high quality (although the new Goddefied samples I heard were pretty fucking awesome) but in most cases I'm still interested to see what they come up with. From what I've heard the new Seance seems alright.

Can't say I give a shit. World of Myths had 1,2 great songs and the prior demo's and sound was much better(WOM has pussy guitar tone).

Goddefied and Interment seem like the most promising.

When will Gorguts reform? And I don't mean that approximation, Negativa. While Negativa have some interesting stuff it's just not Gorguts.

There's actually a rumor that Gorguts did reform and are recording something, but it's still just a rumor.

Not complaining really, pretty much all those bands are totally awesome.

I'm not really complaining either as I like pretty much all the bands I named.

But on the other hand, I'm not really expecting much in terms of quality new releases (if they release something new instead of just doing live performance(s) like Demilich).

Rarely have I heard any band reform after like 15 years and recreate what made them enjoyable back then. To me it always seems like there's something missing...

Still it's somewhat interesting to see what these reformed bands can/will do. But personnaly I'd rather have these bands old material made easily obtainable than have them release sub par new music.

I don't even remember specifically, but I've heard it more than a few times within the last several months. It could easily be false.