Releases 2009!

I'm pretty sure that the "new" Arch Enemy CD is that re-recording of their old stuff, which is a crime against humanity and will be my number 1 worst album of 2009.
Ha yeah I'm aware. I don't really care that much I always liked their old stuff better anyways. I had no problem with Johan's voice, but it'll at least be interesting to hear what the songs are like with Angela + some new style added. Wonder which tracks they'll do.

What did you think of Hypocrisy's Catch 22 v.2.0.08? I thought it was awesome! I know it's not the same situation since Catch 22 was received poorly and bashed for production/numetalbs/etc and Arch Enemy is just lazy, but did you like the remake?

I'm also expecting the new Sonata to suck dix0rz even though I did like Unia alot.
As am I, but jesus. 1337 f41Lz bro. Unia = :puke:. Hopefully with the new lead guitarist Tony will write music that actually gives him something to do rather than just chug away on power chords until his 20 second solo.

No see... I hate everything after Burning Bridges and the fact they're going to butcher the old songs is blasphemous.

Hypocrisy is one of my alltime favorite bands with an otherwise flawless catalog... except Catch 22... ;)

No see... I hate everything after Burning Bridges and the fact they're going to butcher the old songs is blasphemous.
Yeah I totally understand. I would feel the same way with some other bands, but AE has never really had that strong of an impact on me with their music (as impressive and wonderful as it is). Think about it like an ignorant drunk, it alleviates some of the blasphemy: Better production, better playing, better tonez, better vocalist = better songs. or not haha.

Don, Aeonic, I actually agree with both of you on all counts. In that I've always seen AE a band driven by the drummer. I worshipped Stigmata and BB mostly because of the progressive elements and drumming they wrote. When they switched drummers after Bb it's like the music went with it. When I saw them live with Angela on stage it was like having a chick up there kind of made me forget they were playing simpler music. I do wish they could return to days of yore though. They were monstrous.

Liiva's vocals in AE kinda remind me of the vocalist of Dismember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better production, better playing, better tonez, better vocalist = better songs
better vocalist is arguable, but the rest i seriously doubt...unless you think the andy-sneap-modern-machine-made-heavy-yet-clear-lifeless-souless tone/production that every popular band seems to be going for these days is somehow better than Black Earth......

:puke:

wages of sin has a few cool songs, everything after that ive heard was boring and terrible.

lol it's so true. I hate that guy's production so much. Fucking Jason Suecof and Logan Mader are also culprits... their drum samples make me nauseous!

Might as well use drum machines, that shit sure as fuck isn't live.

Don, Aeonic, I actually agree with both of you on all counts. In that I've always seen AE a band driven by the drummer. I worshipped Stigmata and BB mostly because of the progressive elements and drumming they wrote. When they switched drummers after Bb it's like the music went with it.
AE didnt change their drummer after BB, it is still Daniel Erlandson (or something like that :p)
Daniel played on the first track of Stigmata while Peter Wildoer played drums on the rest of the album. Absolute quality drumming on that album. Daniel still kicks as well.

I forgot why Daniel did not play on the entire album though.

better vocalist is arguable, but the rest i seriously doubt...unless you think the andy-sneap-modern-machine-made-heavy-yet-clear-lifeless-souless tone/production that every popular band seems to be going for these days is somehow better than Black Earth......

Hence the "ignorant drunk" comment in the sentence before it. Andy Sneap surely sucks the nuts, but it could be worse. Into Eternity's last 2 discs have had the worst modern production ever. TSoA's drums were like 5x louder than any other instrument with a fucking intolerable double kick trigger (or whatever the hell the "hit the hammer against the aluminum" sound is called), and TIT (hah once again) sounded self-produced.

Actually I dug the production on Scattering. The kick samples are shitty but other than that it's a solid mix. IE is a pretty technical band, especially on that album, so Sneap's soulless mix worked in their favor. The same goes for Nevermore.

Best so far for me are...

Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
Isis - Wavering Radient
Fen - The Malediction Fields
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Candlemass - Death Magnetic Doom
Blindead - Impulse
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
I Shalt Become - The Pendle Witch Trials
The Axis Of Perdition - Urfe
Ephel Duath - Through My Dog's Eyes
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb

That's in no particular order. It's a great year so far, and there's Nevermore, Jesu, Wintersun (I think o_O). Oh and Morbid Angel too...

^^ ALL of those albums are fucking awesome. I just checked out the Altar Of Plagues recently and was blown away. As a good friend of mine mentioned to me last month, this is definitely a year for black metal. Should also check out the new Velvet Cacoon, tis solid. I also heard there's a new Moss CD if you're into drone (which I see you are).

Thanks, man.

Yeh, for me Altars are a local band. Northern Ireland! :kickass:

Starting to love drone. Can't wait for the expected Jesu album too. I've been obsessed with Justin's projects recently.

yay they finally announced the detailz for the new Hypocrisy album and I don't have to hide that secret anymo. Should be awesome.

hypotaseofdivinity.jpg

This looks kind of cute.