Retarded fucks...

I know what that "hardcore" punk sounds like and I personally think it sounds like shit. I don't know how they think metal is inferior when at least most metal has some kind of coherrent sound. One particular song I heard sounded like they were trying to be all agressive with a hard rock sound and the vox were like wannabe death vocals or something. To me it sounded like a hard rock band trying to be death metal. Oh well I guess there will be some people I will never figure out...

symphonyXjapan said:
I know what that "hardcore" punk sounds like and I personally think it sounds like shit. I don't know how they think metal is inferior when at least most metal has some kind of coherrent sound. One particular song I heard sounded like they were trying to be all agressive with a hard rock sound and the vox were like wannabe death vocals or something. To me it sounded like a hard rock band trying to be death metal. Oh well I guess there will be some people I will never figure out...
Perhaps because they have the same oppinion as your, but inverse?

When I was younger I'd be at shows and I'd sit off to the side and watch the floor for these fucks. When I saw them swinging their fists or whatever or intentionally trying to hurt others I'd charge out and take them down, leaving them to be trampled. Occasionally I had other friends with me to help out, but I wouldn't be able to defend myself against a whole mass of them! I know that what I did wasn't really the best thing to do, but in my mind it was right. I've never heard of a group like this having an alliance with security though, that's just messed up.

I say if you see them, take them out. (I'm also alot bigger than most of these punks though...and used to play football :p)

My brother and some of his friends did that too at a couple of shows. They would just be standing and enjoying the show when the punks would ram into them or something, and my brother or one of his much bigger friends would literally pick up the kid and throw him. Clearly they were not joining in on the fun; sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

I'm 42 and I remember in the 1970's, concerts were hazardous to attend. Someone was always puking, passing out or O.D.-ing in the aisles of the venue. I remember seeing Rush in 1978 and I spotted about 10 guys who passed out and missed the entire show - heavy self-medicating. Especially King Crimson in 1973 (with Robin Trower and Ten Years After) - heavy, heavy acid induced daze. There were several fights as well. Then in the same year (1978), I saw The Scorpions and was jumped by a gang of little Mexican kids (about 20 of them) as I exited the venue, just to steal my stupid concert shirt. I've had several friends who were jumped by gangs at those 70's gigs for wallets, concert shirts and cameras. I even had a buddy who saw Zeppelin and people in the balconies were lighting Cherry Bombs and throwing them down into the laps of the people down below. I can't imagine what happens at rap shows in a city like Detroit or L.A. All those gangs walking around just itching to fight.

Fast forward to 1997. My son is 9 and is really into guitar/shred type music and wants to see Joe Satriani. I immediately remember how the fans behaved at the shows in the 1970's. We caught the show and I was amazed how everyone was so cool and there to have a good time and there to hear some cool music (hell, you can't even smoke tobacco, much less weed). He's been going to shows ever since then and my faith is restored in music fans. Especially at Prog Power USA. I attended last year with him and everyone there were really nice and there for one thing - the music and conversing with other prog metal fans. The fans and the event reveal what the Seattle crowd, as well as the Woodstock crowd for what they really are; brainless, moronic, undisciplined and spoiled sheep who follow anything or anyone that our MTV based culture dangles in front of them.

That Seattle crowd reminds me of a scene in the movie "Repo Man" where the two punks from the valley suggest to each other when bored, "lets get Sushi and not pay."

Well, from the looks of the SMO board, no one is going to take their shit.

Since i write for abrasive rock, i had the idea to print out shirts that say in big block letters on the front and back "FUCK THE FSU" and then have the abrasive rock logo and address, then hand them out for free at all the metal and punk shows. It would get the word out on the site and that the FSU are retards.

It was promoting violence. Perhaps completely deleting it was going overboard, but there absolutely a need for moderation in that thread.

Zappa Appreciative said:
I'm 42 and I remember in the 1970's, concerts were hazardous to attend.
The fans and the event reveal what the Seattle crowd, as well as the Woodstock crowd for what they really are; brainless, moronic, undisciplined and spoiled sheep who follow anything or anyone that our MTV based culture dangles in front of them.
"
Wow, I relate to your post, as I attended hundreds of concerts in the late 60s into early 80s. My experiences weren't really dangerous in the "festival seating" days, other than getting nearly crushed at the entrance doors, but when punk came into the scene, with their slam dancing etc....that's when it started getting nasty. recalling the old days, I think pot mellowed most of the concert-goers out. But...the Texas scene may have been different! So glad to see you taking your son at 9. I appreciate Symphony X club shows, people are respectful, especially to younger kids. Prog and Prog Metal bands (for the most part) have a decent and respectful following.
Your last comment really said it (brainless, moronic, undisciplined and spoiled sheep who follow anything or anyone that our MTV based culture dangles in front of them.) Your son won't be one of them.

About the Seattle incident....should have been better security, it's the venue's fault, IMO.

P.S. Just wondering....did you know any of the Bloodrock - Nitzinger camp down there????

damn right pharoah. As far as the seattle incident, i agree. I'm pissed that the FSU was there in the first place, but it really is the security's fault. hopefully someone will take some initiative and sue the club. I'm not all for suing people for every little thing, but this is a big deal, both for the people injured and the seattle music scene in general.

Pharoah said:
Wow, I relate to your post, as I attended hundreds of concerts in the late 60s into early 80s. My experiences weren't really dangerous in the "festival seating" days, other than getting nearly crushed at the entrance doors, but when punk came into the scene, with their slam dancing etc....that's when it started getting nasty. recalling the old days, I think pot mellowed most of the concert-goers out. But...the Texas scene may have been different! So glad to see you taking your son at 9. I appreciate Symphony X club shows, people are respectful, especially to younger kids. Prog and Prog Metal bands (for the most part) have a decent and respectful following.
Your last comment really said it (brainless, moronic, undisciplined and spoiled sheep who follow anything or anyone that our MTV based culture dangles in front of them.) Your son won't be one of them.

About the Seattle incident....should have been better security, it's the venue's fault, IMO.

P.S. Just wondering....did you know any of the Bloodrock - Nitzinger camp down there????

I am his son

I cannot confirm or deny Dargormudshark being my son, because he is no longer 9 years old. He is now 16 and like most 16-year-olds, he completely disavows any knowledge of being related to me, his father, and rejects all that I stand for. As a result of my vast fatherly wisdom and turning him on to Rainbow, Deep Purple, King Crimson, Zappa and all things prog, he owes everthing to me and is ungrateful and undeserving of my love as a parent. To make it worse, he plays guitar better than I. For that, I hate him.

Actually, he is a really cool kid. He just won't let me go to concerts with him anymore. Like the movie "Logan's Run," I have grown old and he will have me put to death soon.

And he as a great sense of humor.

Pharoah said:

Hey Pharoh...do you remember at those concerts in the 70's, there was always some hippie dude dancing in the aisle with great enthusiasm? I remember seeing April Wine opening for Rush in 1978, and there was this hippie guy (straight out of the Time Life Book Of The 60's) totally oblivious to his surroundings, jumping around, dancing and having one heck of a good time. Everytime I'd catch a show during that decade, there was always a guy like him wigging out and having fun. I guess that was before kids started doing the Dio hand sign and playing air guitar along with the music.

Zappa Appreciative said:
Hey Pharoh...do you remember at those concerts in the 70's, there was always some hippie dude dancing in the aisle with great enthusiasm? I remember seeing April Wine opening for Rush in 1978, and there was this hippie guy (straight out of the Time Life Book Of The 60's) totally oblivious to his surroundings, jumping around, dancing and having one heck of a good time. Everytime I'd catch a show during that decade, there was always a guy like him wigging out and having fun. I guess that was before kids started doing the Dio hand sign and playing air guitar along with the music.
Hey ZA, I'm showing my age...I started early, so I remember when they were ALL hippie dudes. I can't say anymore. :oops:
Flower Power, peace and all that to ya.

hey dargormudshark ! :headbang:

The Metal Chick said:
My brother and some of his friends did that too at a couple of shows. They would just be standing and enjoying the show when the punks would ram into them or something, and my brother or one of his much bigger friends would literally pick up the kid and throw him. Clearly they were not joining in on the fun; sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Yeah, that was happening to me at the Iced Earth show. I just moved when I saw it coming. They tried to pull me in, but I just said no thanks.