Revalver 3 vs Freeware Amp Sims

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Which are currently holding the title guys? I've never been a huge Revalver 3 fan, but with the advent of all these awesome free sims, it's made even less sense. But if one were looking, IS there an edge that Revalver 3 holds?

I probably suck at tweaking etc, but I found revalver to be the best sim I've used.

Only for the fiddy one though, the other stuff is pretty useless :p

I just felt it worked closer to the actual 5150 than say nick crowe etc. I found that the same setting were completely different on crow then I would use in an actual fiddy and also revalver.

Just my .02

ironicly I think that the revalver 2 is better. The kitty model of revalver II is better than all the shit that revalver III has, IMO. The Tsx is great also but doesnt fits all kinds of music and guitar tunings. But for free we cant have all isnt it?

TSE is better than revalver, at least to me. You have to tweak revalver so much to get it sounding decent, but with TSE you can just add it, turn the mids down and have a useable guitar sound! But I have heard some really good sounds from revalver, so I'm can't say that its shit :D

Turn the mids down? o,0
I always turn them UP!

Anyways, i think the freeware amp's are better at bringing teh br00tals.. but they dont bring teh crunch. ;(
So for heavier sounds the SoloC, Wagner Sharp, 7170 and the TSE wins by far.. but for spanky Fender cleans, vintage blues-crunch, 70's rock etc. Revalver wins by far(And the fact that you can change & bias your amps kicks major ass.).

I forgot, TSE sounds better with the mids turned up :D But yeah, I didn't think about it, but there aren't any good free amp sims for clean sounds...

Apart from tweakability, I've honestly not found a reason to stay with Revalver.
No matter how much I tweaked, I kept getting better 6505-esque tones out of 8505 every time, rather ironic too considering Revalver is from Peavey itself.
Recto amp type simulation, IMO, is still even done better in POD Farm.
However there is pretty much nothing else, to the best of my knowledge, that emulates XXX and JSX tones.
I should try to experiment with the JSX simulation. While I never found anything totally amazing (to be fair though, that was more of a lack of taking the time to really delve deep into it), there is probably some potential for tones that would sound different from a lot of the field.
The JSX sim gets EXTREMELY mid heavy very quickly. Maybe okay for what Satriani was using it for, but for the type of stuff a typical Sneapster might be doing, you'd be hard pressed to set the mids higher than about 3 really. I usually had the mids on about 2 most of the time.

Weird. I always think subtractively so I'm sucking tons of mids and lows out of TSX. It's how I dial the real amp counterparts. The mids are usually disturbingly low.

That makes sense and I guess it depends what sound you are after but you don't want to suck lows and mids on the TSE. I can't explain why but the mids should remain fairly high on this plug for it to sound good. Maybe Onqel can chime in here??? :erk:

I use barely any low mids on TSE, sometimes have it set to zero on TSE X30, and it can sound good and really fit in the mix without sounding thin and lacking in body

Haha, I often find myself turning the LowMids UP .. along with HiMid and treble ..
The internal filtering in the 5150 and the E530 is very different.. the tonestack also..

for a comparison, here is the frequency response of the 5150 and the E530 tonestacks with every knobs at noon:

tonestack_comparison.png

This is just the response of the tonestacks itself.. the signal going IN the to tonestacks are totally different in those amps, and bad for comparison.. the E530's LowMid control is set very high (around 1000hz).. and I use little different approach in my next sim (X50) for approximating the circuit responses, which I might use for the 2.0 release of X30 which will also include the Clean channel.. (But that update isn't prioritized atm)

Haha, I often find myself turning the LowMids UP .. along with HiMid and treble ..
The internal filtering in the 5150 and the E530 is very different.. the tonestack also..

for a comparison, here is the frequency response of the 5150 and the E530 tonestacks with every knobs at noon:

tonestack_comparison.png

This is just the response of the tonestacks itself.. the signal going IN the to tonestacks are totally different in those amps, and bad for comparison.. the E530's LowMid control is set very high (around 1000hz).. and I use little different approach in my next sim (X50) for approximating the circuit responses, which I might use for the 2.0 release of X30 which will also include the Clean channel.. (But that update isn't prioritized atm)

Nice I owned the preamp briefly and the clean was actually quite nice.

I wonder, though, if the eq section on the e530 is active or passive (it's definitely passive on the 5150, so it's designed to need to be set low to get any sort of decent scooping) - as far as the fairness of setting all the knobs to 12 on both is concerned

The new Shred from AcmeBarGig is quite amazing, I must say. It's one of the few ampsims I've tried that sounds like a real amp in a real room without tweaking too much or adding other plug-ins.

I use barely any low mids on TSE, sometimes have it set to zero on TSE X30, and it can sound good and really fit in the mix without sounding thin and lacking in body

+1.

I don't know about any of this technical stuff, but I can only approximate a 'proper' record tonal balance by subtracting the mids. I will try bumping all the controls and starting from there next time though.

The JSX sim gets EXTREMELY mid heavy very quickly. Maybe okay for what Satriani was using it for, but for the type of stuff a typical Sneapster might be doing, you'd be hard pressed to set the mids higher than about 3 really. I usually had the mids on about 2 most of the time.

About the same with the amp, variying with guitar and pickups. I don't really see any reason to go beyond 4 unless there is something else sucking the mids out of your rig.