Reviews of the EP

Pretty cool review, but:

The thunderous kicks and bombastic toms are heavily triggered, and while that may be a deterrent for those who desire a more organic sound, they are not so overbearing as to take anything away from the music as a whole.

Didn't you guys say the drums weren't triggered and completely played or however you word it? Oh, and for the superstitious (not me), I was the 666 person to view that review on MetalReviews.

Also, you might send a demo to http://necrometal.com/ for a review.

they were played buy a human+ triggered then re-sampled + various studio magics .

the tone of the original drumset and heads was not something we desired. but someone did actually play the parts. no different than the majority of metal recordings done these days. If you want to hear what natural drums sound like listen to Death Breath's newest album.

It's pretty common misconception. As soon as someone hears sampled / triggered they think machine. We're working to change that, one forum member at a time :)

Sorry to hear about that, but it was a pretty decent review! I checked out a few other ones on there. The one for Destroy The Runner was pretty much exactly what I was saying in my review of it, and I haven't heard the new Tyr yet, or some of those others, so I didn't read them. :(

Alls I can say on this matter though, is that I heard The Art Of Death Infernal ONLY, which is the track that fellow is crying about, and although it doesn't have soaring vocal melodies and catchy choruses and everything, it is basically just mindless heavy chords, not meant to be fancy. And if you're looking for catchy choruses and soaring vocal lines, you should probably be listenin' to metalcore or something. :erk: Very nice stuff, and it's true that the production is great. The drums DO sound a bit fake though but it's mostly on the snare and kick, the other stuff is good. :) Triggers are sound replacing with a drum head deal or something, which makes it sound faker of course - unless you get a really good situation and some maniacally good mixing. ;)

lol, we were joking about the comments he made about "The ARt"...we could care less. We just appreciate them writing up anything about the EP at all. It was a good review anyway. and greatly appreciated.

MARTRIDEN
'Martriden'
(Siege Of Amida)
KKKK

This is more like it. A debut EP that is testament to all that is visionary, powerful and exciting about extreme metal; four songs that ooze menace and intelligence in equal measure, unafraid to explore and expand, yet never far from the black and death metal roots taht inspired them. They may be from Monatna, but cowboys and sun drenched prairies full of grazing horses are the last thing that spring tomind when the wonderfully brutal 'Blank Eyer Stare' or 'In Death We Burn' blasts your brain with their pummeling riffs and melodic cacophony. Martriden are the soundtrack to your nightmares, and this EP is just the start. Roll on their debut album.

For fans of: Opeth, Emperor, In Flames:kickass:

Martriden
'Martriden'
(SOAR)

Who knows why the fact that these Black Metallers hail form the great plains state of Montana should come as a surprise? It does, though. Most US Black Metal that reaches outside these shores tends to be of the 'outsider' variety- possibly because afficionados tend to number in single figures in most American Towns and Cities. But Martriden's impressive debut EP is firmly in the mainstream tradition of the best Scandinavian bands from Bathory onwards. There's even a faint of whiff of Opeth influence in the extended epic song 'In Death We Burn'. It's maddeningly brief, but hopefully a taster of a more in-depth album to come. Incidentally there's something refreshing about Black Metallers called Kyle, Shane, Will and Michael who haven't felt the need to invent absurd pseudonyms like Azbagorgothia and the like.

8/10
Gregory Sallust
METAL HAMMER

another review http://www.probablysmug.com/martriden-martriden-ep/

Wait, these guys are from Montana?

Like many, this was my first thought when reading about them. Given that much metal comes from barren and desolate places, aside from North Dakota, what better state than Montana to encourage such an environment for some potentially great metal? Here we have Martriden, a young band with members from Montana and neighboring states who have converged to make one brutal beast of an EP. Following in the footsteps of the 90’s melodic death metal wave, these guys definitely have a touch of the Gothenberg virus in them. But don’t let that put you off, because it’s by no means 1990’s In Flames worship. In fact, it’s quite a bit more brutal than that, despite the interlaced melodies throughout the songs. The drumming contributes to this by packing a punch, and thanks to the production, isn’t drowned out nor are they drowning out any subtle melodies. The production might be a bit too clean for some metal heads, and while it will definitely put some off, it doesn’t hinder Martriden’s dominant strength which is their song writing.

Without trying to be obviously progressive, Martriden has pulled off some extremely great song writing. Rather than using your typical song writing pattern, each song varies between five and seven minutes long, and all have several things special about that sets them apart from the others.

“In Death We Burn” sticks out to me as the best track on the release. While the first minute of it grabs the listener with ease, it quickly calms down with a short acoustic interlude. When it picks back up, the rest of the song is one of the most thundering and terrifying sounds that will ever come out of Montana. While you might not hear any new techniques that haven’t been done before, this release still gives me hope that Martriden could be one of the more promising Death Metal Acts of 2007 to come out of America. If I don’t see them getting out of Montana and opening some shows for Arsis within a year, I’ll be quite surprised.