Rites Of Darkness

Well, looks like they might actually make it out.

Still, with the amount of bands that have dropped, I'm glad I'm not going either.

Well, it should still be fun. I get the impression that a lot of bands are staying at the same hotel I'll be at, and that will probably be an awesome party every night. Still, they might as well not hold this thing next year. Their reputation is shot.

Yeah, all the chaos that has gone down the past few days has been nothing short of disappointing. Zemial and Pagan Altar aren't completely out of the loop though, especially Zemial. Pagan Altar said that they cancelled due to reasons outside of the fest. I assume visa issues or something. For once it wasn't the promoter's fault.

There are still lots of amazing bands playing this fest and it is still totally worth it...even though my favorite doom metal band of all time might not make it.

It's disappointing how late this news is coming from many of these bands. The promoters are getting their money back from the bands, I assume, but there is not enough time to book suitable replacements. So the fest puts the money back in their coffers. It would be nice if they could turn up Absu or Averse Sefira. I'd also like to see them try to book the pre-fest bands for another set during the fest. They should have the budget for something like that, and it wouldn't be redundant for everyone.

I can't fathom how this many cancellations doesn't free up funds to bring in more bands, and the implication that they need more money for Zemial and Stargazer is absurd with 10 more bands dropping out.

If Paypal is fucking with them to such a degree where it destroys the legitimacy of their brand and ability to run a festival, then they should take some legal action. This is getting to be an epic shitshow, and they need to do something to make it look like they aren't just putting the money back in their pockets each time someone cancels.

All of us are. All this shit is disappointing as hell, but it's still a great fest. This is also history, as it is going to the be the last Rites fest ever, most likely.

"'At the moment, due to gracious contributions from fans, we are close to securing ZEMIAL to come to the US but we are not there yet. Anyone willing to provide $100 or anything to their flights, will be compensated immediately after the show."

What a fucking joke of a promotion.

The entire thing is a fucking catastrophe. What was the whole point of this exercise? To get as many 'cool underground' acts as possible on the bill, make a ton of money off of pre-orders up front and then use those funds to finally secure the bands you said were coming to actually come to the festival?

Most of the bands I want to see are still attending actually. Antaeus, Impetuous Ritual, Mitochondrion, Demigod, Midnight, Cianide, Ignivomous, and hopefully Zemial. The only bands that dropped that I am REALLY missing are Pagan Altar, Hour of 13, and Dead Congregation.

"'At the moment, due to gracious contributions from fans, we are close to securing ZEMIAL to come to the US but we are not there yet. Anyone willing to provide $100 or anything to their flights, will be compensated immediately after the show."

What a fucking joke of a promotion.

Wow, that is fucking unreal. Unless the organizer of this fest lacks all self-awareness, the embarrassment of having to post an update like that must be soul-crushing. From what I've been seeing, it looks like this might very well go down as the biggest disaster in the history of metal fests. Kudos to those who are actually managing to stay somewhat positive about this whole thing. I'd be fucking livid if I were still planning on going.

I'm most pissed about Stargazer, Pagan Altar, Zemial (if they cancel) Dead Congregation, Mortuary Drape, Divine Eve, Evoken and Urfaust. The Mortuary Drape cancellation was tough because there was an awesome show of Inquisition/MD/Negative Plane but then Negative Plane cancelled as well and I ended up skipping the gig. I can't remember the last time I went to a gig with three great bands that wasn't a fest. The line-up for the fest as it is now is really top heavy for the first two days but the third day is looking fucking awesome.