Roadrunner and the beginnings of metal...

I'm sorry, you have already proven your lack of knowledge on Metal combined with some very crooked views. You don't pwn no one

DBB said:
Motorhead has appealed to numerous audiences over the years, but the one which has vocally supported and remained most loyal as a collective entity are metalheads (not just talking about the “classic” line-up, but everything).
Excuse me? Have you ever been to a Motorhead gig? Just as much punks, psychobillies, bikers, greasers and other folks there. What are you saying? "No, we own Motorhead. No matter what Lemmy thinks or says, no matter where they came from, they belong strictly to us!" Puh-leeze!! :rolleyes:

Some Bastard said:
I'm sorry, you have already proven your lack of knowledge on Metal combined with some very crooked views. You don't pwn no one

I've forgotten more about metal than you'll ever know, child.

Excuse me? Have you ever been to a Motorhead gig? Just as much punks, psychobillies, bikers, greasers and other folks there. What are you saying? "No, we own Motorhead. No matter what Lemmy thinks or says, no matter where they came from, they belong strictly to us!" Puh-leeze!! :rolleyes:

I've been to three Motorhead shows in the last 8 years - the crowds were overwhelmingly made up of metalheads. What about you kid? Or are you still too young to get into gigs?

Occam's Razor said:
Sooner or later, you always get into quarrels here, whatever name you use...

That's what happens when one is consistently intelligent and everyone else has occasional lapses into idiocy.

My Man Mahmoud said:
I've been to three Motorhead shows in the last 8 years - the crowds were overwhelmingly made up of metalheads. What about you kid? Or are you still too young to get into gigs?
No, but I don't live in Deliverance-country :p

Iommi: "We actually started, before we were called Black Sabbath, as a blues.. jazz.. band"

My response didn't stick.

Just was offering it up for thought/discussion. It came about during the movie - Metal: A Headbanger's Journey movie; which, by the way, is excellent.

I support Black Sabbath as the first heavy metal band. Though, I recognize bands like Deep Purple, Cream, and Uriah Heep as major influences on BS, as well as other metal bands. Blackmore had about as much influence on early metal musicians as Iommi had on the second generation of metal.

My response didn't stick.

Just was offering it up for thought/discussion. It came about during the movie - Metal: A Headbanger's Journey movie; which, by the way, is excellent.

I support Black Sabbath as the first heavy metal band. Though, I recognize bands like Deep Purple, Cream, and Uriah Heep as major influences on BS, as well as other metal bands. Blackmore had about as much influence on early metal musicians as Iommi had on the second generation of metal.

And who would that be? They weren't nearly the influence that Sabbath were on Judas Priest or (Lemmy's protestations notwithstanding) Motorhead - the same is true of the major NWOBHM acts.

There will never be a general consensus on this, not here, not anywhere, not ever

...which kind of proves my point

Who would what be? With Blackmore I'm talking about the influence of the neo-classical guitar style in metal. Of course its hard to mention that 'genre' without mentioning Scorpions.

Here's a question for you. Did Iron Maiden draw more influence from Black Sabbath or Deep Purple & Led Zeppelin?

note: The above question does not counter my opinion that Black Sabbath was the first heavy metal band. However, I will stand fairly firm (until somebody can show me otherwise), that not every early metal band used Black Sabbath as their major influence. In fact, bands like Iron Maiden might have came about even if there was no Black Sabbath. Perhaps a little different though.

Maiden was largely influenced by Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash or Jethro Tull (Steve Harris) and blues rock (Dave Murray in particular). Punk came from DiAnno and slowly went with him as one can hear on the succeeding albums. Priest have not been an influence, as they were more or less contemporaries - a few years earlier maybe.

Priest have not been an influence, as they were more or less contemporaries - a few years earlier maybe.

I agree with the basic statement but I don't like this logic given to support it. It's like saying the NWOBHM had no influence on Metallica as they were more or less contemporaries, give or take a few years.

I think Priest was more influenced by the NWOBHM than the other way around. Priest was/is quite the chameleon band, wetting their finger, sticking it in the air, and finding out which way the wind was blowing.