Roadrunner United is nothing but a greedy attempt to make money!

KJones

Oct 16, 2005
You really have to question the motives behind it when a record label puts on something like this. It's one thing when band members form supergroups out of the desire to work together, but when a record label does it, there can't be any other explanation than the desire to throw in as many famous names as they can to make as much money as possible. Because there are definitely not any artistic reasons behind it!! Boycott Roadrunner United and their money grabbing ways!

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE, SIR! Are you actually insinuating that Roadrunner Records would put out an album NOT for the sole purpose of producing quality music, but rather ONLY TO TURN A PROFIT INSTEAD??

That's not how the music industry here works, mister. You better just think about what you've said.

*YAWN* what the [curse] are you nagging about?

Ofcuze all Record labels wants to make money, but as long as the artists
remains untouched by greedy producers and keep on doing what they love
we'll never have a problem.

It's great Opeth is making head-way. Do you want Opeth to stop making
records because they're out of money or what? Ofcuze no one wants 'em to
appear on MTV between some sickening repetitive hip-hop video with smurf
voices and a worn out white girls song about how it's time to get freaky on
the dancefloor :)yuk: ).

I don't think - sorry - I know Opeth is never gonna be that mainstream
(so they appear on MTV or starting to make pop songs). They said it
themselves, "we're just to unpredictable". I mean even some you guys, who
like 'em, have problems with their constant experimenting and innovation.

Seriously man... Don't blame the players - blame the game or whatever :)

They spent so much time building up this record, being the "crash course in metal" featuring everyone from Slipknot to Exhorder and all in between on the record. They film a video and release it, and the video is the farthest thing from metal you could imagine. So there you have it. Anything Roadrunner oriented is awful, the only bands of recent time to give decency to the label are those they can't capitalize off of (Opeth, Within Temptation, etc). Roadracer really did have quite a roster in the late 80s, however.

KJones said:
You really have to question the motives behind it when a record label puts on something like this. It's one thing when band members form supergroups out of the desire to work together, but when a record label does it, there can't be any other explanation than the desire to throw in as many famous names as they can to make as much money as possible. Because there are definitely not any artistic reasons behind it!! Boycott Roadrunner United and their money grabbing ways!

kommunismus.gif

btw: Won't buy it. Bad music.

euh .. roadrunner exists 25 years this year, and they wanted to do something special .. I think it's a good idea, although I don't really like most of the stuff on the album.

@ Blackened Dawn: hehe Within Temptation, actually here in Belgium and the Netherlands (where they are from) lots of people consider Within Temptation as uninspired, commercial music .. especially since they dropped the growls some years ago .. but I still like them, it's nice to listen to sometimes, nothing spectacular or innovative, but just nice ..

KJones said:

Or maybe it´s a PR stunt?. "Look we got all these great artists, on our label" very likely if u ask me.

KJones said:
We care.

I don't know about the other bands signed to Roadrunner, but as for Opeth, I feel they're the same band. This is from their official biography on the site:

"15 years in our career we're looking for a label that could put the record out everywhere. To this day people still comes up to me saying they can't find our records....I've had enough of that shit! With Roadrunner we're pretty confident the record is gonna be available everywhere. Obviously signing to Roadrunner presented a new "problem" for us. All of a sudden we're accused of selling out by some "fans". To be honest, that's such an insult after 15 years as a band and 8 records. I can't believe we haven't earned each and every Opeth fans credibility after all these years. I mean, our songs are 10 minutes long for fucks sake! I've said it before but I say it again, we'd never let anyone interfere with the music of Opeth."

I was worried when I saw how much publicity they had been gaining, like most every other previous fan. But I suppose the changes are just a band dealing with everything coming their way the best they know how. Straight from Akerfeldt's mouth, I trust it.

I bought Blackwater Park at Best Buy last year, they also had Still Life and Orchid, I think that's an accomplishment for an [not-so-much-anymore]underground prog metal band from Sweden. I didn't worry when I heard they were on Roadrunner, I also read from an interview that the album was completed before they signed anyway, so there was nothing to worry about in the first place. To Benighted Joe about Opeth on MTV: they were just on HBB last night, as I'm sure you know (MTV2.) About the bands on Roadrunner: I don't like most of them (Life of Agony, Slipknot, Wednesday 13, Trivium, Nickelback, Ill Nino, Machine Head, to name a few) but they had/have good artists on there; Nightwish, Opeth, Type O Negative, etc.

People crying about Opeth being on MTV...So What??? You gonna dump them now? Suppose you are also gonna dump Arcturus for being on MTV? How about At The Gates? Mastodon?

Accept it! Opeth is way more popular now...Deal with it! They deserve it!

Ikil

^ No one said anything about dumping Opeth because they're more recognizable/popular. I simply don't care if Opeth is more popular or not. As long as their musical formula and sound does not change in a way that sounds like horrible music, I am completely happy as a button. I don't watch TV or listen to the radio, so I really wouldn't know when they appear or either of these, unless someone tells me. My mind is oblivious to mainstream music, so why should I care?
And Roadrunner may be awful, but who cares. Sure, we all miss Century Media, they are/were a badass label/company. But we care about the music, not the fucking label....right?