Roll call for Kamelot & EdGuy - Pearl Room - Oct 18

I'm going to quit trying to predict one way or the other. The last two shows that I said I'd be at, I wasn't. This one is the weekend of my wife's birthday, so I doubt I'll be there. From now on, I'll just keep my mouth shut about my plans; I'll show up when I show up :loco:

Ken

Agreed. Mindwarp opened last year and slayed! :kickass:

Thanks we really enjoyed playing that show and we looked forward to playing with Kamelot for a 3rd time. We though we were going to do the show again after a conversasion with management at the SX show, but never got any replies to emails sent the past couple months to verify that we were doing it. Oh well, thats how things go. I think as a band we have more to offer now than our previous shows there, a new full length CD, shirts, posters, a new song that is not on the CD, and a new guitarist.

Hopefully the openers will draw some people and help out the show, Saturday night is a great night and the place should be packed. :headbang:

Depending on if we can get a sitter the wife and I might be there.

Thanks we really enjoyed playing that show and we looked forward to playing with Kamelot for a 3rd time. We though we were going to do the show again after a conversasion with management at the SX show, but never got any replies to emails sent the past couple months to verify that we were doing it. Oh well, thats how things go. I think as a band we have more to offer now than our previous shows there, a new full length CD, shirts, posters, a new song that is not on the CD, and a new guitarist.

Hopefully the openers will draw some people and help out the show, Saturday night is a great night and the place should be packed. :headbang:

Depending on if we can get a sitter the wife and I might be there.

OH MY GOD!!!
I totally want a Shreddy poster to hang on my wall.
That way we all can be like, "OH MY GOD! HE'S HERE!" all the time!
And I'm going to do you a favor and paint you a lifesize portrait....ala "The Kramer".

I will be there tonight. Both bands were great last year and I am glad I only have to make the trip once this year to see them both.

Kamelot puts on a spectacular light show. I will post a link to the pics in a week or so after I finish them up.

I kinda wish Kamelot would have brought over a band such as Vision Divine, Mystic Prophecy or Labyrinth this year since Edguy toured the states last year.

How was the show, folks?
It was decent. I got there just prior to Edguy hitting the stage. They were their usual fun selves, although I would rather they play another song or two instead of stopping on occasion to fire up the crowd with sing-a-long's.

As for Kamelot ... good stuff for the most part. They played a ton of Ghost Opera stuff which was cool with me. I like that disc a lot, and it's nice to see those tracks performed live.

Khan seemed to start off pretty strong, but he started to run out of gas as the night went on. His power dropped off down the stretch, and all in all it wasn't one of his best performances.

The attendance was strong .. 500-600 maybe? I didn't notice much in the way of sound troubles .. no dead mic's, or pa's at least.

All in all a good time.

Britt

It was great.

Even the openers weren't TOO bad.

Edguy blew me away.

Kamelot seemed boring compared to Edguy, but I enjoyed them more as it went on.

I didn't notice Khan's voice getting worse, I thought it was getting better.

I did get sick of having my face in Khan's crotch every time he crouched at the edge of the stage. :erk::erk:
I also could have lived without the drum, and keyboard solos from Kamelot. Again .. I'd rather hear another song or two.

Both Kamelot and Edguy are pretty professional bands. They both know how to put on a good show.

Britt

It was great.

Even the openers weren't TOO bad.

Edguy blew me away.

Kamelot seemed boring compared to Edguy, but I enjoyed them more as it went on.

I didn't notice Khan's voice getting worse, I thought it was getting better.

I did get sick of having my face in Khan's crotch every time he crouched at the edge of the stage. :erk::erk:

Had I been at the show, I would have agreed with you.
Kamelot always seems a little boring live to me and the fact that they were following EdGuy would have re-affirmed my opinion.

One thing that pisses me off about Edguy is Tobias always stops in between songs to 'pump up the audience' by singalongs or dividing the left side and right side of the crowd to see which side can be louder, when in that time frame would have had time for two more songs.
Dragonforce is the same way.
Whatever.

Ha Ha!
So you were the crotch face, eh?
That's always fun. The worst was front row at a WASP concert, where Blackie was wearing spandex and left nothing to the imaginaton whenever he lifted his guitar.
Try having a 52 year old crotch in your face for two hours!

:lol:

Yeah, I agree.

And I wish they hadn't swapped out Abandoned for Wander.
Agreed on that ... Abandoned is a very good song, and when on Khan sings it just beautifully.

I wish Kamelot would throw some older stuff back into the stelist as well. I'd like to hear a Siege Perilous or The Fourth Legacy tune now and again, or even something from their pre Khan days.

I was cool with all the new tunes though ... I doubt we'll ever some of those live again.

Britt

Just curious...has the Khan version of Kamelot ever played any of the Mark Vanderbilt era songs live?

I first got into them during those first 2 albums & my interest has dwindled with every album since. Not so much the fault of the band as my interest in Power Metal in general. But IMO, I just felt, & still kinda do, that Kamelot was better back then (less over produced & more genuine songs) & Khan has never sounded better than he did in Conception...especially his melodies.

Just my 2 cents & I'm sure everyone here disagrees. :p

Just curious...has the Khan version of Kamelot ever played any of the Mark Vanderbilt era songs live?

I first got into them during those first 2 albums & my interest has dwindled with every album since. Not so much the fault of the band as my interest in Power Metal in general. But IMO, I just felt, & still kinda do, that Kamelot was better back then (less over produced & more genuine songs) & Khan has never sounded better than he did in Conception...especially his melodies.

I prefer Conception to Kamelot, so I don't disagree with you. He's done some great work with Kamelot, but the Conception stuff is a slight step above.

I do think they have played non Khan tunes in the past, but it's been a few tours since they have. They did a live disc, Live Expedition, with Khan several years ago, and "We Are Not Seperate" and "Call Of The Sea" were included.

I believe I've see them do Call Of The Sea ... Prog Power II perhaps? I think that might have been the tune they were doing when Midnight stumbled out on stage to do some backing vox.

Britt

It is very obvious that Pate and Invisible Guest must have been crammed up against the stage after reading their show reviews. Khan's voice didn't get stronger, it practically went away as the night wore on.

I felt very bad for Khan, because I know... from last year's concert, that his voice is the strongest part of Kamelot's live show. He did not have his voice on Saturday, thus their show was dismal in comparison to 2007. Khan, himself asked the crowd... "Why do you want to hear more?" after we all screamed for an encore. They also were playing more instrumental songs, and even threw in an extra ballad due to his suffering voice.

I spent the majority of the show back next to the sound board, so I had the best audio spot in the house. They seemed to be having a major problem with the haze machine, as there was very little, thus the light show suffered compared to last year. (I complained of too much haze last year) I am a huge Kamelot fan, so I was pretty let down by the concert.

I asked Kamelot's tour manager what was up with Khan, and she said that it has been a long tour, and this was their 5th night in a row.

Edguy sounded great, but it was the exact same show as last year. Mostly the same songs, and as mentioned earlier, the same sing alongs and the "this side versus that side" shouting match.

The opening bands had some good songs that I enjoyed.

I will get the pics up for all ASAP.

I find the "right side over left side" comments comical. I've only seen Edguy once...and that is one of the elements that I found "entertaining". To hear that the same is being repeated makes me even more glad that I wasn't there this time around. I for one, am not a fan of seeing the same show twice...on different tours! Blah.

It is very obvious that Pate and Invisible Guest must have been crammed up against the stage after reading their show reviews. Khan's voice didn't get stronger, it practically went away as the night wore on.

I felt very bad for Khan, because I know... from last year's concert, that his voice is the strongest part of Kamelot's live show. He did not have his voice on Saturday, thus their show was dismal in comparison to 2007. Khan, himself asked the crowd... "Why do you want to hear more?" after we all screamed for an encore. They also were playing more instrumental songs, and even threw in an extra ballad due to his suffering voice.

You must not have read my comments about Khan's struggles. I commented that he started off strong, but that his voice started to give way as the night went on. It wasn't one of his better performances.

Britt

Nope, you're not alone. I dig Conception way more than Kamelot.

This was a really cool show. The Edguy set was very energetic and there was actually a pretty decent crush towards the front. I definitely think they should continue to open with Mysteria in the future. I was hoping they might slip in a new song but no such luck. They did announce that they would be touring the States in September of next year in support of the new CD.

The crush subsided for the most part after the Edguy set and the Kamelot set was a little less intense. The crowd was definitely into the show and sounded very loud. Khan did sound like he was struggling a little bit but I don’t think that it detracted much from the overall show. It was awesome to hear The Pendulous Fall and Eden Echo. I also thought Wander was really cool, even though I was a little disappointed to not hear Abandoned. I thought it was somewhat odd to have a keyboard solo right before the last song of the main set. That kind of killed the momentum, although I am sure it gave Khan a break before the encores.

(And yes, I was right up front also, although not front row. There were times when I couldn't even hear Khan because the crowd around me was singing so loud. :lol:)

You must not have read my comments about Khan's struggles. I commented that he started off strong, but that his voice started to give way as the night went on. It wasn't one of his better performances.

Britt
Britt.. I read your comments and I agree with them completely. I was referring to Pate's comments regarding Khan's voice. Pate was in the front row, so he may have been hearing the monitors?

Don't get me wrong about my comments. I really enjoyed the show, but was let down due to the amazing show they put on for us in 2007.

Regarding Edguy... I sure wish they would get back to the basics and play the old classics, such as Out of Control and The Headless Game. It would be awesome to see them perform the entire Hall of Flames CD.

I was impressed that Edguy's sound quality was as good as Kamelot's. I have seen shows in the past... like Dream Theater opening up for Megadeth, where they purposely made DT, (the much more talented bunch IMHO), sound like garbage to make Megadeth's performance sound spectacular. The petty power struggles of the entertainment industry are just plain silly.