Roll Call for Therion on 10/26

Probably because they were duped again by someone playing "mr. booking agent".

Not sure I get your point.
Just saying they have a bad agent that just wants their cut?

Bob saw them last time at HOB and said it was pretty empty.
I am surprised then that they wouldn't bring at least one more solid opener.

also depends on what night of the week the show is book, how good the area is, how the scene is, how long they have to promote the show

if the show is on a weeknight, not many people will go. if the show is on a weekend in a SHITTY neighborhood, not many would go

*shrugs*

Will,
Doesn't get much safer than HOB Chicago.
Its in one of Chicago's major "tourist trap" areas.
Not sure if the last time they played was a weekend or not.

Regardless, I think any band coming to the US for their first tour should come w/ solid support.

Not sure I get your point.
Just saying they have a bad agent that just wants their cut?

Bob saw them last time at HOB and said it was pretty empty.
I am surprised then that they wouldn't bring at least one more solid opener.

A non-reputable rookie agent who probably promised the band a bunch of stuff but certainly didn't have realistic expectations or actual contracts with the venues in place...ie. TO/DIE/FOR tour.

A non-reputable rookie agent who probably promised the band a bunch of stuff but certainly didn't have realistic expectations or actual contracts with the venues in place...ie. TO/DIE/FOR tour.

Good call on that tour. At least though they paired them w/ Virgin Black, though the expected draw was obviously over ambitious!

I agree 100%...unless of course the band has HUGE sales numbers here already...like Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Dragonforce and only a handful of others

Exactly.

If a band like Blut Aus Nord or even Skyforger were to come over for a headlining tour, calling it "retarded" would be a compliment.

They (Therion) already said that they were talked into this tour and promised stuff like only playing successful cities from the lat tour and stuff but like always they were lied too and had other problems strike them. There is an interview on Blabbermouth.
I think the guy booking the tour thought that this time around they would have been a better draw. I agree...they need a better drawing support act but it is a crap shoot. I saw Therion at the HOB on a Wed night...they had one opening act who was some local act from Wisconsin. The show was completely empty. Maybe at best I would say between 250-300....that is being generous. They did play like they were headlining Waken or a huge fest. It was one of the best shows I have ever seen.
I love the band but I never have seen such complaining as much as Therion does on tour.

Yeah, HOB Chicago is a fairly safe venue. Even leaving the venue circa 11 PM to hit the train station, there's usually a pretty sizable group of metalheads heading in that direction.

When I was there to see Opeth for their Chronology show, that place was packed. Yet when I saw Opeth, Nevermore, and Fireball Ministry... The place wasn't even that packed. There's no reason for it, some times, I suppose.