Romeo's Pickups

Once more they're a PAIR of 81s.

Nowadays he uses an X2N at the bridge and a Tone Zone or FRED at the neck.

p.s. What the fuck do X2N or FRED stand for?
p.s.s. What the fuck is WTF? :D

Aren't the gold ones Les Paul Humbuckers, Like the Zakk Wylde ones? I know they make black 85's as well... What is better 2 81's or an 81 85 combo? I am in the market for some pickups..

The LOGO is gold on 85s.
The LOGO is silver on 81s.

I don't know which is BETTER, because they're DIFFERENT.

I'd go with 85 at the bridge and an 81 at the neck, since 85 is fatter sounding and I'll use the neck positions rather for DYNAMICS than EQ difference. I like a beefy rhythm.

On the other hand, if you need a trebly rhythm and a fat solo sound you may need to use them the other way round.

If you need your neck HB to be identical to the brigde HB you need a pair of 81s. Try out a guitar that has identical neck and bridge HBs to see if the EQ diff is cool with you.

tony bologna said:
Thanks,

I am going to try the 81 neck 85 bridge combo.. Although something tells me MJR was on to something with the dual 81's.

If you want really grinding balls to the wall metal tones out of your bridge pickup, you're not gonna get much better than the 81 in the bridge. I say go for the dual 81s.

tony bologna said:
Thanks,

I am going to try the 81 neck 85 bridge combo.. Although something tells me MJR was on to something with the dual 81's.

Umm...not to discount the fact that MJR is indeed a genius...I have to let you know this.

Kirk Hammet uses dual 81's.
:D

Eh...I have dual 81's and it's alright...I'm not a big fan of actives though to begin with. I think they just bury the natural sound of the guitar.

@ - the_satanic_rabbit - About actives burying the guitar - Is that the reason MJR switched to X2N and Tone Zone?

And why da hell did he go Line6? Ajren did the same thing and his tone ALSO crapped out.

are u talking about his tone in the studio?cause he says he uses the triaxe. line6 only for clean

his tone on odyssey is awsoume

anyways u can get good sounds from both emgs and dimarzios with the right gear

Romeo did not use the Triaxis on The Odyssey. His Tri has been broken since early on in the V tour. The Odyssey was a mix of the POD Pro (for mostly clean sounds), a Dual Rectifier, and an Engl Powerball (I think it was the powerball, someone correct me if Im wrong).

I don't know. I think my LTD Deluxe is a piece of shit as far as building materials and quality made guitars go. But the EMG's make it sound as good as a well made guitar. I think if I put passives in, even good ones, it would sound like shit. But if I had a good guitar, I would rather use passives...that's just my feeling. I don't know why he switched...And as far as Line 6 goes, I read something about him recently getting a Line 6 vetta. Maybe he will be using that on the next album. But he didn't have it for The Odyssey.
If I could afford that amp, I would buy it. It's so much more capable than a Marshall
Mesa is still awesome though too.