Sabbath bloody Sabbath

burning inside

Question authority
Oct 21, 2001
Denver, CO
I'm sure that there are some Sabbath fans here; you can't really talk metal without mentioning them. I have to say that Sabbath without Ozzy is pretty hard to swallow when you compare it to those albums that he is one, but Mob Rules is some righteous stuff, if you ask me. Probably the last thing Dio did that I can say I like. Who's with me? Or against me. I'd just like to hear what opeth fans think of this album and the band in general.

My favorite Sabbath songs are Hand of Doom and Into the Void.:D

Black Sabbath.

When I was about 11, I listened to pop music on the AM radio stations...and then on one halloween day...upon attending a halloween party at the local Boy's Club, I walked into the gym, wherupon I was greeted with a fake body on a slab with a pendulum(sp?) above prop...this was the entrance to the haunted house and what was playing in the background??? Guess? Black Sabbath, in fact it was Iron Man from Paranoid....I never heard any type of music like that in my entire brief life...I said, damn that is powerful...cool!

It was from that day on, that I became a heavy metal fan and gave up pop music forever.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath...I bought that album as soon as Sabbath released it. Awesome stuff...

I was in the 6th grade at the time, attending a catholic school...I was on the basketball team and before the game we could play music while warming up....the routine called for some "bubble-gum" music, but with my new SBS album in hand, I was able to play Killing Yourself to Live, for the whole entire parental and studen body crowd...a crowning achievement for me, I must say...especially when looking at all the bewildered faces in the crowd as Ozzy screamed out..."Killing yourself to live!!!"

I have never liked Ozzy's voice, but have always liked the music. It was heavy stuff compared to other things when I was a kid.

Led Zeppelin took up the then metal space in my head. I was also partial to Deep Purple.

But I do remember the Black Sabbath (with Dio)/Blue Oyster Cult concert I went to - crazy stuff.

Metalmancpa....

I went to see Dream Theater about 2 years ago at Great Woods (when it was) and Deep Purple was the headlining band. We missed Dream Theater all together. It was a total boneheaded-baked out journey that ended with a great surprise. We were so pissed that we missed DT when we got there, but during and after Deep Purple's performance...I was like :eek: oooooooh shit!

They were amazing! I did NOT expect that. You wouldn't have happened to gone to the show? That'd be sweet. The guy had on...No. All the guys were amazing. I was shocked at how good they played live. They didn't have all the original members, but most! It was great.

Sabbath? Oh! Right! First off, my first song was "Fairies Wear Boots" and finally the rest of Speak of The Devil. That was and still is my favorite release from Ozzy with Sabbath. I remember when I realized that Sabbath wasn't always Ozzy. I like Mod Rules and Heaven & Hell. I liked Dio more with Sabbath myself.

I don't know. I liked Sabbath, but never really got hooked on them so much. I was a Zephead...like Metalmancpa.

:)

Yeah, I love Led Zep too. I had a roommate in college who was a huge Zep fan and it wasn't until he played some of the bootlegs he had that I realized what great band they are. I like the albums but I'd much rather hear them play their songs live. Wish I had been around before Bonham died so that I could have seen them play.

Jethro Tull is another band that came out of england around that time that I love. In fact, I think bands like Opeth and Neurosis, to name a few of my favorites, owe alot to bands like Tull and Pink Floyd. I do love that progressive sound.

Oh yeaah! Black Sabbath is THE ultimate band in my opinion. I love the albums with Ozzy excluding "Technical ecstasy" in part, due to the rather tired sound of the band. They had some great ideas and a couple of good songs on that album, though. "Never say die" is completely underrated, featuring some higly classic material noone seems to remember. The best albums are "Sabotage" and the first one; ground-breaking in the context they were at the time. Neither album has lost one bit of the impressive power inherent in them. The rest of the Ozz-era albums are classics as well in their own right. The best Sab songs: "Black sabbath", "Megalomania", "Iron man" ( the song that started my musical life), "Hand of doom", "Symptom of the universe", "Supernaut", "Cornucopia", "Children of the grave", "Into the void", "Electric funeral", "A national acrobat", "Sabbath bloody sabbath".. the list goes on.

As for Sab with Dio, he is the only singer during whom the band could come even close to what they were. "Dehumanizer", "Heaven and hell" and "Mob rules" are good heavy metal albums. The rest of the stuff is rather sad at times, even if Iommi has to be revered for his conviction and belief in the band.

I also have always liked Black Sabbath, not just because their status as "god-fathers of metal", but simply due to their awesome music. Of course, by today's standards many of their songs lack in areas of strength and tempo, but nevertheless I enjoy a good old Sabbath tune once in a while.

Their best songs, in my opinion, are: Symptom of the Universe (the change from the "heavy" to the final acoustic part is wonderful - Opeth could not have done it any better!), Solitude (the absolut heart-ache remover), Snowblind (sends chills down my spine) and Behind the Wall of Sleep (which is a very under-rated song).

However, of their albums, I find Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the best overall - it has many songs that are very good, like A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra and the title-track. Never Say Die is also rather good - Johnny Blade is better than any song on Technical Ecstacy (which is a poor album).

Iron Man is one of the songs I don't like at all. Perhaps I have just heard it too many times in my youth or something, but I think it is the worst song from the great Paranoid-album.

-Villain