SAE musical institute

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
well iv'e been sniffing around about sound instititutes around the globe and came across SAE institute.

in england, it's 11,000 pounds yearly tuition and another 800 a month for the rent and stuff, which sounds to me like a rip-off!

in Australia, it's 22,000 aussi dollars yearly tuition and another 1000 a month for the rent and stuff, which sounds to me like a rip-off as well!

it's 2 years study and you and up with a degree in sound which is what i desire but i really don't know if it's expensive or worth the money.

my questions are:
is the price reasonable? does the scool worth the money?
are there any other places you know of (i'm looking for the best, not the cheapest)? what's the minimum wage in england and australia and what's the average rent? does a sound engineer really have to have a degree or will i and up unemployed after 2 hard years?

thanks, Shay

I know of a few people who have gone to Full Sail, SAE, and other assorted schools. All of them said they didn't learn much and that spending time interning in a studio is where they gained the breadth of their knowledge. Nothing beats experience and I find that you'll receive a similar answer from most people on here. Most of those places are ridiculously expensive.

Most engineers I know who work in major studios studied in fields that had little to nothing to do with music. You gain experience through countless hours of experimentation, asking questions, interning, sitting in on sessions, asking questions again, etc. etc. Read up on the basics on your own - there is a ton of free info out there.

If you are technically adept I'd say go into engineering, computer science, you know...something that won't be phased out and will give you a degree.

Joe

Sorry if it isn't the answer you want, but expect more of the same from most on this board!

ow i could buy a lot of new shit for that money! :)

My opinion:
Stick around this forum for about a year or so and read some books... and you'll know more in theory... the good thing @SAE is, that you'll be able to practice in good studio facilities. HOWEVER for 22.000 dollars you can build a f'ing great homestudio!

IMO!

JEEEESUS
i went for an interview to Lecture at SAE london.
been too busy to think about taking it.

JEEEESUS
i went for an interview to Lecture at SAE london.
been too busy to think about taking it.

Whats the pay?

Cos lecturing these things is the biggest piece of piss, half the time my lecturers weren't there/came in hungover/spent the entire lecture or class period on the internet.

Easy money for babysitting twenty-somethings.

^that I would like to know as well.

Also what kind of knowledge (or proof of it for that matter) do you have to bring to the table? Cause from what I've heard at SAE Vienna most of the lecturers seem to be half-deaf punk rockers who show up every once in a while in between tours.

Where do you live?
Are you an Australia resident?

If you are you would know that living in Melbourne is FUCKING expensive.
And I've no idea what minimum wage is, but I doubt you'd be getting minimum wage.

I have friends who go to schools for music in Melbourne.
None of them know what they are talking about and they have all been doing it for over a year now.
Waste of fucking money.
Although two of them get it paid for them by their parents(rich kids)
end jealous rant.

i live in Israel but i'm also a czech citizen

tnx for the help but i only know now what NOT to do. still no clue about what i CAN do.
i'd love to get a job in a real studio, hell! i'll do it for free just to get the experience!

but there's no 1-800 REAL STUDIOS INC. so i don't have a clue about where should i even start!

Go to studios that have a decent reputation (and, if possible, some history with music you like) and ask. There's really not much else to try until that happens - it may help to have some good recordings on your own, to show them that you have potential, but keep in mind that more than a few people want to try their hand and you won't have an easy path ahead of you.

Jeff

fuck those overpriced audio schools and the worthless "degree" they hand out

do what i did, and go to college for something substantial, and while you're there take out student loans to buy gear with. then use said gear to record shit on your own, all the while making low monthly payments with the lowest interest rates you'll ever find :devil:

Ah yes, I forgot you are in Israel.

Are you in Tel Aviv? Wherever the last Orphaned Land was recorded seems like a legit place. Might want to try them out.

Seriously, the best advice you can get is what has been said so far. I truly believe those schools are a waste of money. In the states, going to somehwere like Berklee is a good option, because it is a real four year university and you will have "regular" college classes as well.

My honest opinion is try to intern somewhere in Israel or save until you can move elsewhere and try it in your new destination.

I recently visited Israel, spoke with many musicians and engineers, and they all expressed how hard it is for bands/engineers to thrive there. One positive of the situation is that you have a tight knit scene in your country.

Try to network as much as possible (if you haven't already).

Joe

tnx everyone!

must say that i don't believe in most israely recording studios 'cause the ones that DO involve metal are pretty much occupied all the time, don't believe i'll ever find a place to intern here so i'll probably move to europe and knock or ANDY'S door or something like that LOL....

so after telling me what i already thought was true if there's anyone who needs a really REALLY eager-to-learn intern i'd love to work with you and move abroad even for free

tnx everyone!

must say that i don't believe in most israely recording studios 'cause the ones that DO involve metal are pretty much occupied all the time, don't believe i'll ever find a place to intern here so i'll probably move to europe and knock or ANDY'S door or something like that LOL....

so after telling me what i already thought was true if there's anyone who needs a really REALLY eager-to-learn intern i'd love to work with you and move abroad even for free

umm...if those studios are booked non-stop like you say, then they'd probably appreciate having some interns/runners/whatever around to take some the load off, assuming they don't have any already

tnx dude!

hehe ironic giving me a link to a studio which is 30 min from my home (i'm close to tel-aviv) when what i'm looking for is studios in europe....

p.t.
people are really helpful in this forum. nice to see a metal forum where no one fights and advices are actually given...

Well I'm studying at the SAE in Perth currently, and I am going to go right ahead and agree with everything in this thread, a lot of them from what I've heard, suck. Ours is ok, our lecturers have at least worked nationally and are professional about their jobs, which from what I hear is pretty rare. We have a good very low interest rate student loan repayment here in Australia, so I'm not worried about that side of things. It ends up costing you about $40 - 50 a week.

I realise that a "degree" from SAE is by no means a ticket into the industry, but in terms of getting real studio experience. Its' really my only option, here in Perth there are two studios big enough to take interns, but they don't, and quite frankly dont have the experience nor the client base to do so. I found another studio that would let me intern basically whenever I'm not at uni, and when Im not at SAE I'm there, or working on my own stuff.

I've only done two trimesters thus far, and since I had a fair amount of knowledge going in from working in my home studio for the last 5 years, it's been pretty lame thus far. I litereally havent learned anything I wouldnt have known already, bar a few little interesting tidbits that I got out of my lecturers by talking to them after class. That being said I've had many opportunities to record in some really nice rooms, and its been great. I've also learned my way around Outboard which is something I had no idea about in my home studio environment.

The way I'm treating SAE is more or less as a very expensive back up plan, I'm recording bands at the moment and getting most of my income from that as well as teaching Bass and Guitar privately, my intership is unpaid but I am just hoping that for the amount of effort I am putting in that I'll be able to set up a client base and eventually expand, and get things started that way. I think SAE is a great way to go if there isn't a good studio around to intern at, like in my situation. But a lot of the time I can see why a lot of people think it is a gigantic waste of time.

In summary

SAE = Good if you do other things on the side and not assume a degree is a ticket into mixing for Lady Gaga