Sales

FUBAR said:
Does anyone know how many CDs Opeth have sold?

thats a good question actually. id be curious to find out the numbers.

i beleive in an interview, Mike said that blackwater park did the best at the time, and outsold all the other previous albums combined...which doesnt give you a number, but certainly shows that theyve been doing well since at least. anyone who knows this info, please post it here.

You are really naiive if you think they dont need more sales: everybody needs more sales. Nobody turns down money, is what separates us from animals.

I have searched and found very little.
We need concrete numbers.
Starting with the first album and going
to Damnation.

We need numbers dammit!

Random fact: I remember an interview with Quorthon where he was talking about Bathory's "Hammerheart" having sold 160,000 copies. and this was like.. less than a year after it's release. crazy, eh?

IAmEternal said:
Random fact: I remember an interview with Quorthon where he was talking about Bathory's "Hammerheart" having sold 160,000 copies. and this was like.. less than a year after it's release. crazy, eh?
:tickled:

all i know is, considering the hype that this band has been getting (for a death metal band), their record sales are not all that amazing. i have a feeling though, this next album could have some impressive numbers, because with the strong (sometimes rabid) fanbase that they have, they will probably sell half of their records in that first week. i wouldn't be suprised to see them in the top 75 or higher in the billboards in the US.

Yep I do believe the next album, will sell very well, Opeth is getting a lot of attention (for this kind of music), everybody who knows metal beyond Iron Maiden and Metallica seems to know the band.

IAmEternal said:
I find it highly likely that he was telling the truth. The album is now regarded by many including me as the bands pinnacle and spawned a whole new subgenre of metal.

I have a bootleg from the 2001 blackwater park tour in Ft. lauderdale, FL. Theres an interview on it before the show and Mikael says that there was only about 50,000 copies sold in Europe, and and only about 19,000 in the states at the time. I can only imagine that those numbers have sky rocketed and Deliverance - Damnation have received much better sales.