Sam Raimi directing World of Warcraft movie

Could be great. But they wont make it correctly.
It could be epic and dark as shit.
LOTR movies are some of the best ever. because they made it dark, epic, long. And didnt add any stupid comedy.
That's what nerds like myself want in a fantasy movie. Focus on badass characters with flaws. costumes have to be perfect. Tired of the clean looking fantasy movies.
While agreed, WoW is not the setting for that. It's just such a campy, contradictory setting, with a serious lack of internal consistency. My guild does a lot of RP/writing that I think approaches pretty serious story work, but we have a pretty narrow path and a relatively small monkeysphere. A movie that was actually focusing on main Warcraft plotting would run into problems as Serious Business.

I suppose something directly focused on the Arthas arc with Mograine and Fordring and so forth as heroes could work, but honestly, the setting's better served by a relatively light-hearted adventure story in the vein of the Princess Bride. Leave the grimdark to the place where it'd be good (i.e. Westeros.)

Seen the early casting news for HBO's series of A Game of Thrones?

Dinklage is Tyrion:
PeterDinklage.jpg

Pretty much exactly like I imagined him looking.

Boromir is playing Ned Stark (not exactly how I imagined him looking, but a big name)

NICE.

Name one cool/good/interesting thing about Warcraft lore after the second game.

A PRINCE GETS AN EVIL SWORD AND KILLS HIS DAD AND BECOMES A DEATHKNIGHT! FASCINATING!

Now come on, name something. Do it.
The absolute fucking destruction of Lordaeron. You've got this three thousand year-old civilization, the greatest kingdom in the known world, reduced to wasteland, rubble, and swarms of the living dead. The survivors have to learn to cope with this fundamental change in the world and integrate themselves into the southern world without completely abandoning their heritage. It's like if medieval England had been so badly fucked by the Black Plague that the survivors had to flee to France.

The absolute fucking destruction of Lordaeron. You've got this three thousand year-old civilization, the greatest kingdom in the known world, reduced to wasteland, rubble, and swarms of the living dead. The survivors have to learn to cope with this fundamental change in the world and integrate themselves into the southern world without completely abandoning their heritage. It's like if medieval England had been so badly fucked by the Black Plague that the survivors had to flee to France.

Srsly.

As far as LOTR being epic and all, the CGI was epic...not the film. I don't see how LOTR has now become the benchmark for epic movies now.

Truer words have never been said, starting at 1:00.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KF55MVyIfQ&feature=related[/ame]

Although on that note I guess the Forsaken branching off from the Scourge is ok. I'm just biased because I'm very pissed Twin Headed Ogre Mages and Trolls got replaced by Tauren and malnutritioned blue people.

Not saying that LOTR were bad movies in the slightest. On the contrary, I love them.

I was just pointing out that whenever people reference epic movies, they always reference LOTR, which in my opinion the Star Wars trilogy was much bigger and lifelike than LOTR.

Again, I loved LOTR, I just think that people should stop using them as a reference for any fantasy movie that is to come out after them.