Sampling famous drums.....how do I do it??

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Hey guys,

I often see people using a famous sample e.g. black album snare sample along with aptrigga/drumagog for their drums. How do I go about capturing and isolating a certain kick or snare from a song? Is it possible to accurately do it at all? If so, is there a guide, particular software etc?

Cheers! Tommy

Yeh just open a song in whatever program you use.
Home in on a part of a song where you can hear the kick or snare on it's own, zoom in all the way until you can actually see where the hit occurs, then chop off the bits either side.

You may have to do a fade in/fade out either side of it. In the past i've used a kick that didnt have quite enough decay to it so i just faded in the sound of the decay of a similar kick from drumkit from hell

Yes. You just have to find a section where the kick or snare is by itself, so you can't do it with whatever you want, it has to have a workable section.

Ive beeen looking around for some songs to chop. Really hard actually since none of the drum hits are alone (obv it wasnt their intention for their drums to be sampled) but I thought My Girlfriends Girlfriend by TON would be perfect for kick samples. But they have TONS of reverb on them (which I love TON for, pretty much unuseable for speedy stuff but more melodic stuff I reccommend that song!

Why did this thread title give me the mental image of someone recording the sound of punching Paris Hilton then triggering it with Drumagog?

Why did this thread title give me the mental image of someone recording the sound of punching Paris Hilton then triggering it with Drumagog?

Which makes me wonder has anyone used Drumagog to trigger other sound effects in replacement for the standards? For instance what about the sounds of a .45 pistol for the snare or something like that?

Which makes me wonder has anyone used Drumagog to trigger other sound effects in replacement for the standards? For instance what about the sounds of a .45 pistol for the snare or something like that?

heaps...replacing drums with various combiniations of "fuck", "you", "shit" etc...hilarious results.

Did that with some farts that I recorded. Instant classic:lol: