Save the planet!!! Stop global warming!!!

First Point - A lot of nations have controls on their whaling/fishing. It's not a perfect system, but in certain places it isn't as bad as others. Using graphic images to push your point isn't helpful to your cause either. It's shocking, but it's part of the industry. Same with everything, your meat especially. I don;t agree with it, but it's just the way it is, to change it would do more harm than good, we just need to strike a balance in between that EVERY country can embrace.

Second Point - Recycling is not really productive or helpful :lol: In a lot of places and in most cases, it costs MORE taxpayer money and energy to run recycling programs and can harm the environment more if you think about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdtLxE9nek&NR=1[/ame]

It's more about the feeling it gives to feel like you're helping the environment, than how much you are actually doing your part.

Man, I should have picked up some tree cuttings for you all at a political rally I went to last week - some candidate was giving them out. The Evergreen State can never have too many evergreens. :lol:

I do my part by taking the bus; luckily we have a pretty good regional bus and commuter train system. I also recycle and the like.

However, the big thing I do is volunteer at one of the local animal shelters as a Feline Companion. Not really 'environmental' per se, but still definitely helping animals. Basically, I interact with cats who really need the socializing - I play with them, cuddle them, brush them, change their cat boxes and give them fresh water, clean them up (dirty cat butts :zombie:), tell potential customers about the different shelter cats we have up for adoption, and try to answer general cat questions. I don't have a pet of my own right now, and my current roommates are allergic to cats, so this is perfect!

You're a great person, animals should always come first.

I definitely drive a lot. I may live in a huge city but it's nessesary if you want to have a social life. I never litter though.

Hehe well isn't my thread a success once again? :)

I agree, the Japs are certainly the bastards that are driving whales onto extinction, I honestly thought that Norge had a big part in it too, but apparently not so I apologize to the offended parts.

Besides the problems that Heartless_Name, a major complaint that I have concerning Costa Rica (one of the too many...) is that there is no real recycling culture, so a lot of stuff and an incredible amount of garbage just goes to the oceans. I say oceans because CRns (not me) throw garbage everywhere. Pardon my vocabulary, but I fucking hate that.
I've nearly gotten into a fight quite a few times because I start telling people not to throw garbage, but since they have such a lack of culture they start bashing me so oh well fuck them.

Concerning cars, well so many accidents happen here (3rd in the world I think :erk: ) that I'm 21 (in CR you can drive legally @ 18) and I don't even have my license. Also, i like to sleep whilst going to the Uni, so I always take the bus hehe. Speaking of which, the bus-rate is going to go up 5 ($0.1) colones and cabs 15 ($0.3). It may not seem like much, but in here it is, and well if you add up all those cents by the end of a year they make a lot of money :erk: .

I'm against whaling in principle because in general the ocean is the most overexploited habitat for food in the world. Hands down. When fishermen and the fishing industry make it difficult to protect species that were nearly extinct barely 20-30 years ago, it makes it absolutely impossible to put limits on regular commercial fishing. Like bottom trawling. There should be laws that have people put to death for practicing that kind of fishing.

In the U.S., fishermen on the West Coast are starting to voluntarily leave the salmon stocks alone because they're collapsing and need time to recover. As much a some of the whaling countries would hate to admit, it's not just some namby pamby need to protect cute and sentient whales. A lot of countries are growing alarmed that their fish stocks are not healthy, and it's a retarded time to start expanding the kind of fish that can be exploited for commercial use. That and killing intelligent animals is bad. :p

But seriously, if you can't get people to stop killing endangered species right after they stop being endangered, how are you going to get them to stop killing species you only have evidence that their numbers are dwindling, but are not endangered (re: tuna)?

When I was 10 years old, I saw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode that had the moral about the plastic rings that keep six packs of soda cans together. Michaelangelo tried to throw one away, and Leonardo stops him, explains to him that fish and turtles get their heads caught in them (with a cutscene actually showing it), and he slices up the plastic thingy with his katana. Ever since, without fail, I always cut up the plastic rings and throw them into the plastic bin. THANK YOU, NINJA TURTLES, FOR HELPING ME SAVE THE PLANET!!!

:kickass:

Oh, and I don't have a car, never have, too expensive here with the car prices (the basic 2008 model of Audi A4 with no extras, starts out at $62 000USD (325000NOK)) and the gas prices is around $2.40USD (12NOK)), and with all the extra taxes on the usage of it, its a non-priority for me, I live in a city anyway...

Does your city have good public transport? ChCh has pretty decent buses, and there's two bus stops within 4 mins walk from my house so I can usually get to the city centre easily enough. I think having a car just gives you a bit more freedom than public transport but they are expensive. Fuel is becoming very expensive here as well. Used to be like $1.20 a litre now its up around the $1.80 mark. :erk: Walking places has good health benefits as well compared to sitting in a car. :loco:

Whats that a gallon? I think it was 3. something a gallon here today.

I think it's by the liter. However, he probably has a public transport system that's really functional; while I take the bus, I really have to time it if I have an appointment or anything.

And I will hug a kitty for you :)

Oh, and I don't have a car, never have, too expensive here with the car prices (the basic 2008 model of Audi A4 with no extras, starts out at $62 000USD (325000NOK)) and the gas prices is around $2.40USD (12NOK)), and with all the extra taxes on the usage of it, its a non-priority for me, I live in a city anyway...

I´ve noticed how damn expensive everything is in Norway,went out to buy some snus and had to pay almost twice as much as home.

Snus is like a nicotine substitute right? I remember this swedish chick I know telling me about it.

A friend of mine and I had a discussion the other night about whether somewhere out there in the universe there were other planets inhabited by humans. And we figured since it's taken humans about a million years to reach our current level of technology, in another million years (which is only like 5 minutes compared to the lifespan of the universe itself) we'll have the technology to travel at lightspeed to other planets and colonise them. So it's highly possible that there are other planets out there that may already have advanced, or non-advanced civilisations upon them. I mean by the time we do destroy our planet completely (if we do), we may already have all the technology we need to colonise other planets or galaxies. Maybe we were never supposed to just stay here on Earth? The universe is so immensely huge that it seems likely that there will be at least 100 other planets out there with similar climate conditions as Earth. I guess this is kind of related to our discussion of saving the planet so that's why I posted this. I believe that in the next 10,000 years we'll be colonising other planets, seeing as it's only taken us 2000 years from the supposed death of jesus (who can prove this actually happened anyway?) to reach our current level of technology.

I´ve noticed how damn expensive everything is in Norway,went out to buy some snus and had to pay almost twice as much as home.

Finland is more expensive :p . I remember going to a Cd/Metal Shop in Stockholm (near the Handfaste Viking Shop..), and the guy was a nice lad so I talked with him. We talked about various stuff, and he happened to say (paraphrased): "Finland is expensive even for people from Sweden, Norway is expensive but affordable. Finland is just way out of reach for some people here."

I don't know how expensive it is, but I guess it's pretty darn expensive :Smug: .

@ The Grand Design:

Well the most likely thing is that there's intelligent life out there, so well who knows what would happen if we go to outer space. I believe too that we'll end up colonizing other planets (Mars by the year 2200 if everyone's not dead by that time), but humanity has to mature in a lot of ways before doing that.

We should try to have this planet in a decent state, unlike the way it is in right now :ill: .

We will pay, soon enough.

First of all, let me say this thread ROCKS - impressive, intelligent discussion thus far on a non-musical subject, which is more than can be said of most UM forums.

I am also impressed by your views Tyr. I too, am concerned about the degradation of the environment, but a superficial and radical approach to such a problem, such as those proposed by PETA and Greenpeace, only makes the offenders more entrenched in their convictions. Here in Australia, the radical greenies are happy to go off on ships throwing stuff at Japanese whaling ships or invading them, possibly violating piracy rules. Sure, Japanese whaling is no good, but it is OUR government that has a duty to secure our borders and international waters, not those fools.

I'm not down with Whaling, I can't say I know a lot about the situation in Norway, all I really know is whats going on here in Australia and I strongly appose the Japanese whaling. It also pisses me off that the Australian government wont do shit about it besides asking them nicely to stop. I have a lot of respect for those folks from greenpeace for trying to save the whales.

But on the general environment topic, I recycle, don't eat meat, just try not to hurt anything(human, animal, planet).

First of all, let me say this thread ROCKS - impressive, intelligent discussion thus far on a non-musical subject, which is more than can be said of most UM forums.

I am also impressed by your views Tyr. I too, am concerned about the degradation of the environment, but a superficial and radical approach to such a problem, such as those proposed by PETA and Greenpeace, only makes the offenders more entrenched in their convictions. Here in Australia, the radical greenies are happy to go off on ships throwing stuff at Japanese whaling ships or invading them, possibly violating piracy rules. Sure, Japanese whaling is no good, but it is OUR government that has a duty to secure our borders and international waters, not those fools.

Thanks :) (it was me with another user-name so you know :p ).

@ Astral and Arcane:

:kickass:

@ The Grand Design: Problem is, it's not a small percentage of the whale population. It's a very big percentage, their nearly extinct. Thanks to the help of our friends the ⽇ぽん⼈ (Japanese).