Save the planet!!! Stop global warming!!!

Finland is more expensive :p . I remember going to a Cd/Metal Shop in Stockholm (near the Handfaste Viking Shop..), and the guy was a nice lad so I talked with him. We talked about various stuff, and he happened to say (paraphrased): "Finland is expensive even for people from Sweden, Norway is expensive but affordable. Finland is just way out of reach for some people here."

I don't know how expensive it is, but I guess it's pretty darn expensive :Smug: .

Huh, funny. I remember thinking Finland was a lot cheaper than here in Denmark.

Also, this entire topic pisses me off. I hate self-righteousness. I'm usually pretty environmentally-minded, but the posts in this thread make me want to kill a whale.

I will say 'hello' to the semiferal orange tabby that's in my neighborhood. Last week, he left a decapitated mouse body on my stoop. :erk: I guess he's trying to 'teach' me how to hunt! So sweet. Sweet cat.

:lol: . Ah cats are so awesome, I love them. As I said before I don't have a cat, my neighbour has one and he's sort of "the neighbourhood's cat" or something :) . We call him "Thor García" :p .

I'm sure you understand, we can simply not allow for the population of whales to get out of hand.

Please provide the statistical proof that shows beyond a doubt that whales will excessively populate themselves beyond the food source upon which they thrive without human intervention controlling the whale population.

Whales, getting out of hand? really dude?

Øjeblikket;7200573 said:
Please provide the statistical proof that shows beyond a doubt that whales will excessively populate themselves beyond the food source upon which they thrive without human intervention controlling the whale population.

Maybe those are different whales from the ones around Japan...?

I think whales shouldn't be hunted at all. That's just my opinion.

But the ocean is overfished. Grossly. That's a fact, and it makes me uncomfortable that species that were nearly extinct not too long ago are under pressure for economic reasons to be hunted again. It's unfortunate to those who are part of a fishing culture, but human culture and economy comes second to sustainability. If you do otherwise, you end up like China, dying a slow death to ecocide.

Hehe, that reminds me of when Lars was on a plane in South Africa a couple of years ago and there were 3 guys with Borknagar shirts on the plane. They should have known Lars was there, hehe.

Dude, they could have so totally scored an awesome autograph!!! Those whales are just out of control!

Yeah, I heard the population in Wales is down to only 3 million now...

^ I guess that's good? Funny thing that population decreases in the places where it shouldn't :rolleyes: .

@ Naglfar: I totally agree with you. And I like that word, "ecocide." The word, not the action.

And yes, fuck the Chinese, they're killing the pandas :cry::cry::cry:. BASTARDS!!! :yuk: :puke:

Selfish bastards, they're not only killing themselves, but also us and the rest of the living beings of this planet... .

and the gas prices is around $2.40USD (12NOK)), and with all the extra taxes on the usage of it, its a non-priority for me, I live in a city anyway...

Fa'n i helvete! I never thought I'd see the day that Norway had cheaper gas than the USA...or is that not counting taxes?

Snus around here is generally about $5 for a can. I should order some General online--from what i remember, that was pretty tasty stuff. Around here, it's Copenhagen and Copenhagen--I can't stand the other crap.

As far as whaling--it's not like they're out there harpooning Blue Whales or anything. It's the Minke whale, which is pretty numerous and taken in fairly limited numbers (at least by Norway). As it's pretty numerous, it can be a detriment to the cod industry, which is pretty overfished as it is. At last that's part of the "official reason" for doing it. I'd just as soon the whalers all came to North Dakota and shot whitetail deer. They're like fleas on a mangy dog around here.

Øjeblikket;7200573 said:

Norway hunts Northern Minke Whale primarily.
In 2004, the total population of Minke Whales was estimated to be around 184 000 (IWCSC) in the Central and North East Atlantic. The Minke Whales in the Southern Hemisphere was estimated to 760 000 animals in the early 1990's (the IWCSC has since revised that number to be around 50% lower).
In 2006 Norway's quota was set (by the IWC) to 1052 animals, of which Norway took 546 animals.
So to say that this type of whale is under threat of extinction is ignorant at best. Norway taxes these animals under the flag of Scientific Research purposes, that it is also a means of controlling the number of Minke Whales in the Norwegian fishing-zone is a given, but not a very popular version of the truth in the highly tabloid political climate we have in the western part of the world. Whaling itself is NOT big business for Norway, but indirectly for the fishing industry it is important, which in turn is important for Norway.
The numbers and scientific data you are looking for is probably available on the internet, why not make an effort and go google it, dude....