Save the planet!!! Stop global warming!!!

official site

"Home is a french free 2009 documentary by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. The film is almost entirely composed of aerial shots of various places around Earth, taken in over 50 countries in the process. It shows the diversity of life on Earth and how humanity is threatening the ecological balance of the planet. The movie was released simultaneously on June 5 in cinemas all over the world, on DVD, TV (has been broadcast in 14 languages.) and on YouTube in HD. Released on the same date in 181 countries is a world record for any film release in history. The film received a large response upon release, receiving over 400,000 combined views within the first twenty-four hours on YouTube" /wiki;edited by me/
wiki entry

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IozVfph7I]the trailer[/ame]

youtube channel
Interesting making-of clips. All the stuff is available in HD.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU]the movie[/ame]

the torrent
This film have [sic] no copyright. On the fith [sic] of of June, the environmental day, everyone can download the movie on Internet. The film is given for free to the distributor for TV and theater to show it the five of June. There is no business on this movie. It is available for school, cities, NGO and you. We have to believe what we know. Let me tell you something: It's too late to be pessimistic, really too late. This means, that the movie can be distributed, copied, uploaded, burned on DVD etc. without restrictions if not altered or edited. LegalTorrents (still in beta) provides a torrent for the 1:33:18 version in high definition mp4 format (roughly 1,4 GB).
—Yann Arthus-Bertrand

There are, of course, other torrents available.

It surely must've been advertised big time in the media, but I overslept the whole thing somehow. I've got known about it from a tv show reviewing movies yesterday, watched it on a HD tv (downloaded tme movie from a torrent) and thought i'd spread the word. Maybe there's another person who also dwells in his/hers own world like me rather than indulges in the novelties. But this time it's good to catch up. :p

I guess it's time to revive this thread:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/03/2863534.htm?section=justin

Ahhh these Japs, they're only killing every single whale and shark on Earth :) .

Costa Rica doesn't help much either, as anyone who has seen Sharkwater can tell. We've improved a bit, but the Arias government (Nobel Peace Prize my ASS!) has basically done NOTHING to stop illegal deforestation of the protected forests of the country (along with the conservation of… everything else).

japan_whaling.jpg

How have you helped? I try teaching my students to have a balance in everything, protect nature and not go to McDonalds.

In a world that is becoming more and more like George Orwell's 1984, people who care are a very small minority it seems. The compulsion for absolute power, absolutely seems a far greater worry than saving the place where people who want it, can always have that absolute power.

I try to do my part, no waste water, electricity and try not to litter. I just think its bullshit that come cities CHARGE YOU to recycle.

I try teaching my students to have a balance in everything, protect nature and not go to McDonalds.

Sorry dude, I go to McDonalds all the time, and take the car almost everywhere I go.

oh I see you removed that "Walk, don't drive" line from your signature
You finally got your license? :loco:

In a world that is becoming more and more like George Orwell's 1984, people who care are a very small minority it seems. The compulsion for absolute power, absolutely seems a far greater worry than saving the place where people who want it, can always have that absolute power.

I try to do my part, no waste water, electricity and try not to litter. I just think its bullshit that come cities CHARGE YOU to recycle.

Are those cities in Texas or something? :p

I don't think people who actually care and do something are a minority, at least here in C.R. A lot of people are quite conscious about the problem, and they do try to do something. This happens especially with teens, I've noticed a tendency amongst my students: Most of them really know what is 'going on' and they try to do their bit. Of course, they're still quite young so they're not very critical (a Costa Rican characteristic: Criticise a lot, but don't be very critical).

Sorry dude, I go to McDonalds all the time, and take the car almost everywhere I go.

oh I see you removed that "Walk, don't drive" line from your signature
You finally got your license? :loco:

:lol: not really, although I should. I'll try getting it this month. I took it out of the signature because I thought the one from 'My Domain' was nicer.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to McDonalds, but junk food is, seriously, not good for you. I used to be Addicted (Townsend, Townsend!) to Mc, and went to the one near my Uni at least twice a week for about a year. When you have Type 1 Diabetes, it's not really a bright idea. So long story short: I now have cholesterol problems, and I'm only 23. And that is very sad.

You should watch 'Super Size Me' (if you've already seen it, watch it again). Just being curious, and if I may know, how old are you? And you lived in The Netherlands right? Or was it the U.K.? The former doesn't have much obesity problems, but the latter really does (along with France, and obviously the U.S.).

And here's a nice image that I found:

pubs-grandes-causes-048.jpg

:lol: not really, although I should. I'll try getting it this month. I took it out of the signature because I thought the one from 'My Domain' was nicer.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to McDonalds, but junk food is, seriously, not good for you. I used to be Addicted (Townsend, Townsend!) to Mc, and went to the one near my Uni at least twice a week for about a year. When you have Type 1 Diabetes, it's not really a bright idea. So long story short: I now have cholesterol problems, and I'm only 23. And that is very sad.

You should watch 'Super Size Me' (if you've already seen it, watch it again). Just being curious, and if I may know, how old are you? And you lived in The Netherlands right? Or was it the U.K.? The former doesn't have much obesity problems, but the latter really does (along with France, and obviously the U.S.).
Yes I'm 21 and from Holland.

hehe and I don't eat fast food "all the time", like the dude from that movie, I was exaggerating of course :lol:

Salads are bad for you if it's all you eat, water is bad for you if you drink it all the time. Junk food is not good for you but it's not bad either, if you don't eat it often and keep a balanced diet. And I don't really see how not eating at McDonalds will help save the planet :Smug:

Yes I'm 21 and from Holland.

hehe and I don't eat fast food "all the time", like the dude from that movie, I was exaggerating of course :lol:

Salads are bad for you if it's all you eat, water is bad for you if you drink it all the time. Junk food is not good for you but it's not bad either, if you don't eat it often and keep a balanced diet. And I don't really see how not eating at McDonalds will help save the planet :Smug:

Haha OK :lol: . Yeah everything is certainly bad for you. I bet you didn't know that with all the water you drink in a year you basically drink a bottle of 600mL of crap :Smug: .

But fast food is much worse, for sure, and it'll certainly help you not eating there. Concerning the planet, junk food restaurants pollute a lot: One really has to think on how the 'food' gets to your plate, the process that was involved to feed you (and not just with junk food restaurants). Fast food restaurants are the worst, since they use paper/cardboard to give you your food, and that's trees that were cut and paper that will never be recycled. The oil that is used to fry everything is just thrown away. a guy actually went from North to South America with the oil that they used in McDonalds :p .

It's more the edifice of mass produced food. You can buy ground beef cheap because farmers are subsidized by governments. The $1 double cheeseburger is not a $1 double cheeseburger. The environmental cost of cheap, mass produced fast food is pretty stark. Aside from the inhumane practice of keeping tens of thousands of cattle packed in one feces-infested area, the waste, run off, degradation caused by your Royale with Cheese is significant.

But I guess I would counter that McDonald's is not really qualitatively worse than much of the processed / fast food industry. And for fast food, their burgers are not inconsiderably less bad than some of their competitors. A quarter pounder with cheese is about... 500-550 calories. A Burger King, Jack in the Box, Red Robin, Quick, etc. version of that burger runs from 650-850 calories. The menu has become a little less devastating over the years at McDonald's because they're THE fast food icon.

Still, I only eat the stuff when at airports or when driving across the country. It's just too high in saturated fat and sodium, too caloric. Too much of anything is bad, but fast food is bad even in moderate amounts.

It's more the edifice of mass produced food. You can buy ground beef cheap because farmers are subsidized by governments. The $1 double cheeseburger is not a $1 double cheeseburger. The environmental cost of cheap, mass produced fast food is pretty stark. Aside from the inhumane practice of keeping tens of thousands of cattle packed in one feces-infested area, the waste, run off, degradation caused by your Royale with Cheese is significant.

But I guess I would counter that McDonald's is not really qualitatively worse than much of the processed / fast food industry. And for fast food, their burgers are not inconsiderably less bad than some of their competitors. A quarter pounder with cheese is about... 500-550 calories. A Burger King, Jack in the Box, Red Robin, Quick, etc. version of that burger runs from 650-850 calories. The menu has become a little less devastating over the years at McDonald's because they're THE fast food icon.

Still, I only eat the stuff when at airports or when driving across the country. It's just too high in saturated fat and sodium, too caloric. Too much of anything is bad, but fast food is bad even in moderate amounts.

Same here, I only eat it at airports or if its the only thing open off the freeway on the way home from a concert. More of a Taco Bell freak myself...not even sure if that's real meat, but damn tasty.

^ Yeah, and even at airports U try to avoid it. That's kind of a lie, when I was at an airport in the U.S. (one in NY), I got the largest fries. Were they the most delicious fries I've ever had or what? I can understand how people get so fat in the U.S., the size was simply ginormous! Even more, the amount of salt in them was way more than what you get here in C.R. Hahaha it had so much fat that the paper was starting to get all wet hahaha :p .

It reminds me of The Simpsons episode when Bart gets a hamburger, rubs it on the wall, then the wall becomes transparent from all the fat and Bart says something like 'good enough' :lol: . And I can't believe Homer hasn't died due to the coronary :p .

Yes!!! It's amazing how many forests are cut and rivers polluted just so cows can be bred for a bloody cheeseburger!

I'll play Super Size Me to my students on Wednesday, let's see how they react. I'm sure they'll actually go and buy something at mcDonalds after the movie, but at least they'll feel guilty about it :) .

And on other sad notes, after lots of fights and opposition, the CRn government decided to open the now famous 'Mina (Mine) Crucitas'. It's a sad day for the country, we did a lot of opposition, but progress is better than nature.

I'm sad :( .

http://www.nacion.com/2010-04-17/ElPais/NotaPrincipal/ElPais2337867.aspx

Mae, no lo puedo creer, definitivamente ‘Hoy es un día de luto’. No es posible que en Costa Rica ocurra esto, se supone que somos un país verde, pero nuestros gobiernos no se preocupan para nada por preservar, esto no es para nada progreso, eso no va a ayudar a la gente en nada.
Me agradó el comentario de una señora en la noticia que decía que mas bien esto es un campanazo y definitivamente la lucha va a ser más fuerte.

Pura vida. ¿Pura vida?

Yes, it's all very frustrating! I feel so desolate, this shouldn't be happening. Then again, Mr Fucking President Arias has never defended nature and has always fomented its destruction. Just look at Guanacaste. The company will face more opposition, hopefully the project will be called off. A massive protest should be organised!

Yes, it's all very frustrating! I feel so desolate, this shouldn't be happening. Then again, Mr Fucking President Arias has never defended nature and has always fomented its destruction. Just look at Guanacaste. The company will face more opposition, hopefully the project will be called off. A massive protest should be organised!

He thinks that he can do whatever he wants in C.R. and I think that they(he and his fucking brother) will be behind the throne for four more years. . .