SAW DREAM THEATER LAST NIGHT...

InYourMemorie

BurtangO
Aug 26, 2009
California
They blew me away, it was the first time I have seen them, They sounded really good(except James, he sounded alittle tired to me), but it was still amazing to see these guys finally.

Trivium opened for them and they are really cool dudes Ive met them and talked with them a little bit and they are very nice and awesome!!

Anyone have any great stories from a DT show???

Yeah, I remember when I saw them on the Train of Thought tour - they played the whole album (which I hated then and still do now) and didn't play Metropolis Part I or Learning to Live, so it marked the point where they went from being my favorite band EVAR to...not. At all. Haven't really given anything since then a chance.

Oh, and it was a venue with only seats. GAY.

Saw them in Providence, RI on the Fix For '96 tour, I remember the weather was really shitty so there wasn't a very good turnout. We walked in during the opening act and strolled right to the front of the stage and stayed there the whole night.

I remember during the middle instrumental section of A Change Of Seasons (the part where Derek and the Johns do that unison run/riff) that Myung walked over to Petrucci and was having this completely boring normal conversation with him while all their fingers were flying everywhere. Like, "Oh what did you have for dinner tonight? McDonalds? Down the street? Oh was it good? Hmmm yes um hm". My friend and I were just in total awe.

Some friends and I saw them in 2008 when they came to Australia for the first time ever and my mind was totally blown.
I didn't go the next time they came out (the year after I think), but a friend of mine went again and said it was just a major let down compared to how good it was the first time. Said he wouldn't bother going to see them again.

Got into them when Train of Thought came out, they sold me when I bought Images and Words.
Saw them the first time live at the Octavarium tour and a GREAT venue around here (best sound I ever heared so far), was a great gig as I was pretty close the the stage.
Only bummer was that Octavarium wasn't out yet or only 1 or 2 days, so I didn't really know the songs....they played half the album...doh.
Saw them the 2nd time in the fall of the same year, big venue, fucked up sound, but at least the setlist was more "even".
Skipped the Chaos in Motion and Black clouds tours cause of shitty albums, saw them again this July...was somewhat underwhelming, I don't really know why, cause the setlist was cool, at least the first half.
I think they are again around here in fall, maybe I'm going to see them again if I have the money and if I like the new album too (only listen to the same 3 songs right now)

Would have killed to see the show after which Marcus decided to hate them :p
edit: ah yeah, seats only...kinda gay, but honestly for a 3 hour concert I don't mind...they do still play that long I think?

Yeah, I remember when I saw them on the Train of Thought tour - they played the whole album (which I hated then and still do now)

Marcus, how can you seriously hate the whole album?! :D I´ll probably never understand.

I saw them on the train of thought tour, too. And I was blown away due to the fact they sounded live as good as on CD (at least for my ears at that time) Absolutely brilliant!

I saw them about two months ago for the second time (first time was on the "six degrees..." tour) and they were great. Great sound, petrucci's live rhythm tone is awesome. They played one song from each album. Although they didn't play "home" which is my favorite it was still a good playlist.

I caught them twice on the Scences from a Memory tour where they played that whole album with the movie screen behind them with actors acting out things from the story. It was really cool.

Starting at 12:17 in the vid, that's the section I meant

I was with you, no video necessary here. DT nerd all day long. I last saw them at the National in Richmond with Opeth and BTBAM. Nothing too crazy other than musicianship at its finest. Opeth I thought upstaged them at this show for me though. Opeth played a more diverse set to me. I like to hear the a solid variety from the library a band was to offer, not just the newest album even though I get it. Kind of what Marcus was saying.

Saw them twice in Venezuela, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos tours, Totally blown away both times, saw them a third time last July at Sonisphere Spain, short setlist but still loved it, seeing them again in February in Madrid, that last show left me wanting another headline show from them. One of my favorite bands, specially one of my favorite live bands. I love all albums, any setlist makes me happy, although I'll never get tired of Metropolis part 1.

Plus, Periphery's opening for them on the European tour, another good reason to go.

I've seen DT twice - both times at the Oakdale Theater here in Connecticut. Fist time was in 2004 on the "Train of Thought" tour with Queensryche (supporting "Tribe") and Fates Warning (touring in support of "FWX"). The second time was in 2007 in support of "Systematic Chaos" with opening acts Into Eternity and Redemption (not sure what albums they were touring for if any in particular). I had great seats for both shows (and yes, the Oakdale is a real theater so it is all seats). I can say that both shows were great nights as memory recalls.

Saw them 2 years ago. I went just for a friend. Worst concert I ever saw. The sound was awful. I only heard drums and voice, the rest was a fucking mess. They never fool me again!lol

Yeah I've heard some horror stories before, at first I was a little nervous about going cause I didnt really want to sit through their long ass set, but after listening to them for a while I started to get excited, plus my best friend had seen them on the Chaos in Motion tour and said id be missing out so I went, I did not regret it, they were amazing!

So the sound engineer sucked and you then say the band sucks? Stupid.

Did I say that the band sucks? You must go blind when someone speaks something that you dont like about your favourite band. Happens all the time with fanboys. Your assumption is kinda retarded isnt? Of course it wasnt only the sound. The setlist was a shit also and the only one that seems to enjoy what he was doing was portnoy.

Nuno, Y U SO ANGRY? ;D

If the sound is shit then there's only one solution: INTO THE PIT.
oh wait....
.....it's Dream Theater :(