saxon you have to go with new album

saxon747rock

Oct 19, 2003
york
Visit site
after seeing saxon live on the killing ground tour in london and only playing two songs of the kg album was quiet disapointing.

Ive heard 6 songs of the new lionheart album only samples ie 20 to 30 seconds long roughly but long enough to get a very rough idea of the songs of the new album and i gotta say they kick arse big time the chorus of the songs are spot on and the changes of the tempo on some of the songs ive heard are spot on its good to hear tempo changes in a song rather then the same tempo through out a song if you no what i mean.

Saxon you have to really go with these songs live on your up and coming lion heart tour think you should play it least half of em of the album and youll still have plenty of time for the old classics .

This album and i cant wait to hear the album proper kicks major arse so go with the lionheart stuff its what us fans need magic

Yeah, I think I've probably voiced this sentiment elsewhere already, but the new album has some very strong material on it that should sound excellent live. It would take some balls to just chuck out some evergreen classics that have been in the setlist for years but on this occasion I think it would be worth doing.

Well on the Unleash the Beast and Metalhead tours, Saxon played four songs from each album. So it would be nice to get at least that number this time around. And they wouldn't particularly have to throw out some of the classics either. Get rid of Court of the crimson king, and that is one space already!

But the only way around it really is for Saxon to play a three hour show! Well, it is their fault for being around so long and coming up with cracking songs, album after album!

I saw saxon twice in the USA during the Killing Ground tour and they played Killing Ground, Coming Home, Dragon's Lair and Court of the Crimson King. KG was represented very well that tour.

Lionheart I am sure will get a fair share in the setlist when the time comes. But do you drop Prinecess of the Night for a new song?

Noooooooooooooo! Not Princess of the Night!

Actually I think there's no chance that will get dropped. I am pretty certain they'll drop Court of the Crimson King, which is a shame because even though I seem to be in a minority of one I still love it.

I am more worried they'll drop something like Dogs of War, which is a particular live favourite of mine.

well, while I know that I am among very few... I LOVE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING! it has to be one of the best ballads ever. While ity may be slower than a lot of the Saxon songs, it is, in my mind, the "stairway to heaven" of Saxon...while its slow, and somewhat different, its still a classic.

Rock on
~Switch :headbang:

I gotta admit, I love 'Crimson King' too!
The problem is that Saxon have so many classic tracks that they are bound to disappoint and be approved in equal measure when it comes to their live set list!
I suppose this is a burden when you've been producing quality material for such a long time, but it is also a gift to us fans! How many other artists could experience these problems?... Very few!
If I had my way, Biff and the boys would play most of the 'Denim and Leather' album. I love 'Midnight Rider' and 'Out Of Control', but I really don't expect them to play 'em!
Regarding 'Lionheart' - I do think that the band should play at least four tracks from the album. If they get get dropped nest tour, so be it - but this is the 'Lionheart Tour'! So let's hear the stuff!

god, i love saxon, but then, everyone on this forum does, so, unlike where i live (USA) i'm in company. Saxon has a little problem though...they've been around for 25 friggen years! though its what makes them great, they have sooo many classics. i think they should extend their tour to a 4 hour show, but, then, thats me. well, if they drop crimson king, i'll be pissed, but i could never stay mad at the world's best band.

Rock on!
~Switch :headbang:

Well, I could easily live without Crimson King and the lengthy song that usually includes the lenghty drum solo (another thing I would drop if it was up to me)....On the past tours they did Conquistadores and Battle Cry with the drum solo, no problem to erase both from the setlist in favour of some new tunes...but I'm sure they need the 5 minute rest halfway through the set..

Anyway, I'm really eager to see the new show live in Filderstadt in some two weeks from now..

Makes a change to hear people sticking up for Court of the Crimson King on here, cheers guys! I still think it'll get dropped, though I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

I think the drum solo is here to stay because it allows the band a chance to rest. Although I'm not a fan of them in general, Fritz's drum solos were very good, with the throwing and catching of drumsticks, etc., but he seemed to do pretty much the same thing every night. So it'll be interesting to see what new spin Jorge brings to the Saxon drum solo.