Saxon's best support groups....

The only time I saw the support band for Saxon was on the Crusader tour (Verity & Battleaxe), I've never seen a support slot since as they were shite!!!! Couldn't even tell you on all the gigs I've been to who the support was!

I think Pretty Maids played with them in the 80s they were pretty(groan) good until my mate got the album.
I think Loudness played as well they rocked.
Metallica surpported Saxon in L.A.sometime in the early 80s.Mind you back then Slayer opened for Venom .How fucking cool would that have been.

During the past few years, Saxon had a number of support bands when visiting Germany ... some of them were:

Evidence One (from Germany) :headbang:

Nocturnal Rites (from Sweden) :headbang:

Dream Evil (from Sweden) :headbang:

Chinchilla (from Germany) :rolleyes:

Wolf (from Sweden) :yuk:

... :confused:

As to these 5 bands, Nocturnal Rites is my absolute fave !

Cheers,

Suzie

Suzie said:
During the past few years, Saxon had a number of support bands when visiting Germany ... some of them were:

Evidence One (from Germany) :headbang:

Nocturnal Rites (from Sweden) :headbang:

Dream Evil (from Sweden) :headbang:

Chinchilla (from Germany) :rolleyes:

Wolf (from Sweden) :yuk:

... :confused:

As to these 5 bands, Nocturnal Rites is my absolute fave !

Cheers,

Suzie
Dream Evil were good and their 3 albums are quality Heavy metal.I think a lot of support bands are probably the first time that someone has seen the band and are not familiar with the material so they cant be arsed to go and watch them.I knew Dream Evils material before i saw them,and i thought they rocked,but when Wolf supported i did'nt really bother with them.Since hearing their albums i wished i had.Wonder who's gonna be supporting on these dates?

Well, I have to go with Limehouse Lizzy - because it's the only band I've seen support them! Paxoman prefers extra drinking time than seeing support acts, unfortunately for me! :bah: We only got to see Limehouse Lizzy 'cos he likes them as well!

Sammi951 said:
Well, I have to go with Limehouse Lizzy - because it's the only band I've seen support them! Paxoman prefers extra drinking time than seeing support acts, unfortunately for me! :bah: We only got to see Limehouse Lizzy 'cos he likes them as well!

Well you got to have the extra beer haven't you? How else will you fall in the bath?!! :lol:

Talking of Limehouse Lizzy, they are playing the Mean Fiddler on the Friday before the Saxon gig. We will be there! Four gigs in six days, oh yeah! :headbang:

Midnightrider - If it is going to be like the other NWOBHM shows, there won't be any support.

In 1981 I saw Riot and Saxon together at the Glens Falls Civic Center in Upstate New York.They also played together at the Donnington Festival in 1980.That is a great live album if you can find it.Rainbow,Scorpions,April Wine,Touch also played that day.Riot remains one of the most underated bands of all time,possibly the best band from New York City ever.

spaster said:
In 1981 I saw Riot and Saxon together at the Glens Falls Civic Center in Upstate New York.They also played together at the Donnington Festival in 1980.That is a great live album if you can find it.Rainbow,Scorpions,April Wine,Touch also played that day.Riot remains one of the most underated bands of all time,possibly the best band from New York City ever.
Don't forget Priest! They played that day as well. In fact they were the main reason I went. :headbang:

Sammi951 said:

Yeah those bands are to support extra drinking time...i think?!? I rarely watch the support act, especially if ive never heard of them (which is usually the case!)

spaster said:

I haven't seen many unforgetable support bands for Saxon since US touring isn't that common, but I did see U.D.O. open at The Station in Rhode Island (R.I.P.) in 2000, I believe. They were very good!

And I have to say I agree with spaster's comments about Riot - great band who deserves a lot more respect. Going to see them in February in New Jersey for the second time and first in over 25 years!!! :hotjump: