Say it isnt so....new GnR album release

In response to a few earlier comments made, I can definately hear some Use Your Illusion era GNR in some of the songs. Whilst being very progressive with the over the top guitar work, the fact that most of the melodies are written by Axl gives it a GNR vibe. I always thought he was a master at vocal melodies, and this album is no exception. His hooks get in your head.

I agree that Slash should be trying to get back involved with the band as well. Whilst he wouldn't be able to play a lot of the Bumblefoot and Buckethead solos, he would be able to pick up the bluesy stuff that Robin Fink played on the record and is no longer in the band to perform.

As for comparing to Death Magnetic, I really fucking like it, but CD has classic written all over it. If it wasn't for a chain of shitty circumstances surrounding the album (being leaked, poor promotion, and 14 years being at least a couple of years too many!), it would be being recieved the way it deserves.

If it wasn't for a chain of shitty circumstances surrounding the album (being leaked, poor promotion, and 14 years being at least a couple of years too many!), it would be being recieved the way it deserves.

I don't think being leaked has in any way damaged its reception. If anything the combination of low-quality studio leaks and live bootlegs give it enough of a sense of familiarity that anyone who's likely to enjoy the album will know it already and want the album as opposed to the likely air of "it could never be GNR without Slash, shuuuuuuuun" mentality which would be far more wide-spread if there weren't already so many opportunities to sample the new material for free. As far as poor promotion goes, even if you ignore their recent feature on Guitar Hero, the Dr Pepper promotion and the fact that he's still clinging to the name GUNS N' ROSES, how many other albums in history have had anywhere near as much hype and build-up surrounding their release? If anyone ever cries foul about "Chinese Democracy" not getting enough promotion... seriously man, a lot of cocaine :rolleyes:.

The only things that really damage its reception are all things where they have no-one to blame but Axl. To that end, while I really like most of the music on the album, I still really hope it 'flops'.

The leaks damaged its potential sales as some people take the attitude of "well, I have had most of the songs burnt for a year now anyway", and the low quality audio gave many people the wrong impression about the sound of the final product.

Whilst the album has been hyped for years, it has kind of been overhyped for too many years, which is something that hurt it. It is a fantastic album, but it won't be able to live up to many expectations that have been built over the years. The old "It has taken this long, I won't accept anything less than exceptional" attitude that people can take towards it, hurt it.

One would think that considering the amount of hype and money put into the build up of this album over the years, that there would have been more traditional means of promotion, such as posters covering cities and more adds on tv...I have seen no posters and 2 adds....one the night before release, and another a few days after. They should have been pumping that shit a week before release. Record stores should have had promotional kits in place such as posters and flyers etc for a month or so before release, but instead have only got perhaps one stand for the album which came after release.

The tour that was done in promotion of the album was well over a year ago, and whilst it was a fantastic live show, it failed to fully assist in promoting the album because of the massive time gap between the shows and the release.

The Dr Pepper promotion, which had nothing to do with the label or the band (and hence, can't be claimed as an attempt by them to promote the product), has failed anyway, leaving many consumers simply confused, hence GNRs management and legal team having a go at Dr Pepper over it.

None of these things, I imagine, are directly Axl's fault.

The tour that was done in promotion of the album was well over a year ago, and whilst it was a fantastic live show, it failed to fully assist in promoting the album because of the massive time gap between the shows and the release.
Which one? If I recall correctly they started touring in support of Chinese Democracy while I was still in school and I finished in 2001....

As far as I am concerned, this is the best new release I've purchased since I began listening to metal (1995ish).

and WOW its delivered!! gonna hit #2 in the US next week! check this out
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109704

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", will move around 300,000 copies (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes on November 23 not counted towards the opening week for the Sunday release) in its first week of release to debut at position No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. KANYE WEST's new album, "808s and Heartbreak", will be No. 1 on next week's chart with a total that looks to be between 450,000 and 500,000.

"Chinese Democracy" has topped the iTunes Rock Albums charts across the globe, according to antiMUSIC. The long-awaited effort took the lead on the charts in U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. The only odd ball holdout was Norway, where GN'R was No. 2 to TIM CHRISTENSEN's "Superior".

GN'R is currently on top of the overall iTunes album charts in Germany, France, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Sweden, and Switzerland. In the U.S., they are No. 4 behind releases from KANYE WEST, THE KILLERS and COLDPLAY.

They have been denied the No. 1 by THE KILLERS in the UK, Australia, Norway, Portugal and Spain. In France they are No 2. behind SEAL's new album "Soul". And it's a battle of egos in Canada where KANYE WEST is keeping GN'R from topping the overall iTunes album chart.

What the fuck are the French thinking? Seal?

I'm yet to read a bad review of the album (informal or otherwise). Me likes. Waxl did make things harder for himself by taking so long, but it has certainly added to the anticipation. I can hear more GnR bits now than I could before (UYI elements, certainly not Appetite), but it's the sometimes crappy openings to songs that make them sound different to GnR.

Last edited:
GnR have always been completely over rated to me. I have heard the single (whatever its called) on the radio and it sounds alright, despite Axl sounding very odd and un-Axl like, but I dunno if I can be arsed buying the album. Perhaps I may listen to it one day.

New Journey album for album of the year.

Pique: wound pride or stir curiosity of.

That is a nice word, would be even more appropriate if you went on a rant about how terrible the album will be and how much you hate Axl etc., etc., and then were forced to admit you were wrong.

Even when his precious magnum opus has finally seen the light of day it looks like Axl still can't help but be one of the world's highest profile whiny bitches.

3062323530_4698ef20f0_o.jpg

3062323564_128e7072e5_o.jpg

3061483633_aef3956efa_o.jpg