say something about ... yourself!

You peeps in Europe can't get Mexican right even if you try. Trust me, I know, because I used to think I know all about mexican food, until I moved to the US and realized I didn't know shit. ....and what a world opened up to me!

Pizza and kebab is poor people's food anyway. It doesn't really matter how it's done, as long as it's done well. It's not exactly winemaking.

well pretty much, yeah. we have kebab pizzas on every pizzeria but this one decided to make a mexican one where they put mexican sauces and jalapenos on it. it's two wins combined into one :cool:

I had a calzone-style pizza once that had a whole "kebabtallrik" in it. Garlic sauce, whatever-sauce-that-other-one-is, tomatoes, kebab meat, jalapenoes, onions, lettuce... the whole bit. It was surprisingly good.

It is correct, granted, Ive never been to Mexico, but everyone keeps saying it.

The thing I've heard was, that "burritos" and "tacos" and such is considered 'border food' and really, in Mexico no one eats those things (but are common alongside of the border with the US)

but... like I said... I dunno.. I've never been to Mexico.

Sure, "mexican restaurants" aren't Mexican, but I have a feeling that all these Tortillerias all around me serving cow tongues and menudo to the Mexican immigants are probably pretty accurate.

Pizza and kebab is poor people's food anyway. It doesn't really matter how it's done, as long as it's done well. It's not exactly winemaking.

Yeah exactly. We call it "street food" because you can get it from vendors on the street for cheap (in addition to real restaurants of course)

those street vendors though, are either fantastic, or a total disaster... lol

Don't forget the tamales! I love me some tamales.

I went to Cancun, Cozumel, and Merida when I was a kid and I don't recall there being such a drastic difference between "real" Mexican food and "American" Mexican food. It's a little different in Mexico, and it's really good, but it's still food for the poorest of the poor. It's not like the gap between Italian food and American Italian food, where the entire culture is completely different. Things like meatballs on spaghetti, cream in carbonara, pizza made with dough instead of pasta, "alfredo" sauce and how fettuccine alfredo is something that no Italian would touch are stark differences between the two cultures. Mexican food isn't that much different...it's better and worse in some places in Mexico, but it really does suck here, at least in Italy. Italians are so delicate and anything more than pepper is too much for them, so their Mexican dishes typically blow. Chinese food is the same.

Sure, "mexican restaurants" aren't Mexican, but I have a feeling that all these Tortillerias all around me serving cow tongues and menudo to the Mexican immigants are probably pretty accurate.

That's exactly right. It's a poor Latin culture and in said cultures they waste nothing. What they would call "real" Mexican food consists of cow tongues, tripe (intestines cleaned out from the inside and boiled and served with meat), testicles, cow tails, pork stomachs, pork ears and cheeks, etc. Southern food is almost the same; down south in Louisiana people eat the same things as well as pigs' feet, hog maws, tripe, cow stomachs, etc. We can take the most disgusting thing and make a dish out of it that tastes fantastic.

Ever had crawfish or shrimp? That yellow stuff that comes out when you peel it? Yeah, that's literally shit. However, people come from all over the world for New Orleans crawfish, crabs, gumbo, jambalaya, etc., and it's poor people's food.

Anyone can cook with expensive ingredients in their $50,000 kitchen and say they're a good cook; the people who cook with whatever's lying around and can make a delicious meal out of that are the real cooks.