say something about ... yourself!

Speaking of which, this article on Cracked explains a lot about why this online culture is making us feel miserable. It will make people who feel bad understand what some of the reasons are, but it really is a recommended read for everyone. Clickie.

Can't really find anything to disagree with in that article. Other than to say that I've been around so many annoying people in my life, that I should have had this supposed tolerance to it, but I've had the opposite reaction.

One person in particular that I lived above for about five years who was always blasting his stereo at any hour, and would also go on what seemed like psychotic tourrets outbursts that progressively became more frequent (constant shouts of "Fuck you!" "That's not a life, this is a life!" to no one but the air) made thoughts of murder seem quite acceptable.

I also like the points about texting and emailing. So much is lost in translation without inflections. Something harmless could actually be misread as an assault, or as in the example given, being taken as sarcasm instead of literally. I've also come to have a love/hate feeling towards the internet, especially when it comes to communication. So many people act like fucktards due to being anonymous and say shit that they would never say to someone in person. Or they just make shit up since you can't really prove otherwise. I've also never had a single online "friend" that I could truly say is a friend by the classic meaning. I just refer to them as "online friends", some of which I have actually been moderately attatched to as much as one can be in a virtual space. But until you can actually share real experiences with someone, they aren't much more than a pen pal or an associate.

When we're living in Text World, all that is stripped away. There's a weird side effect to it, too: absent a sense of the other person's mood, every line we read gets filtered through our own mood instead.

This is why sometimes I might come off looking retarded and ask seemingly stupid questions. I hate the ambiguity of text, and without any body language or inflections I have to ask what the hell someone is talking about since it could be taken any number of ways. If I'm already upset about something, it will bleed into whatever I'm reading.

IMAG0036.jpg

Brown Recluse bite, can I get a fuck yea?!

Dude, get to the fucking hospital. Brown Recluses can kill or at least force you to amputate a limb. Do it now. That's disgusting and dangerous.

Yeah dude, we may give each other a lot of shit on here, but I don't want you to lose a limb. Take care of yourself better; you could've lost a foot.

3000 mg of tetracycline and 1500 mg of amoxycillin a day for two weeks, funny thing is $4.00 of activated carbon and a gallon of distilled water to make a paste took care of it. I was on Isle Royal at the time and the medic at the ranger station was pretty good for being 40 miles in the middle of Lake Superior. It was pain like I've never felt before though.

A brown recluse was how Jeff Hahnemann got the flesh eating bacteria. Dude is lucky to be alive and still have his arm.