say something about ... yourself!

Also it'll be your Human Resource Manager anyone talks with about references.

You're wrong: in most retails the future employer calls directly to the manager of that store. If the employer got fired for loss prevention issue: it is HORRIBLE. If you're lucky and your manager is nice, they will not say why the person left, but if you're an ass hole, expect no job to be offered to you.

Some girl stole from my store for almost a year. After I fired her for that (not really me, she got caught by the loss prevention staff) I heard stories from other employees about her miss-treating animals.
A few weeks after I get a phone call from "Build A Bear" asking me about this girl and if I can give her a reference... you are a fool if you think I did... Fuck her. A thief and mis treated animals?
I can guarantee you she never got that job....
It's almost never HR with retail. HR doesn't know you, and future employers never call HR...

I don't mean to say it to scare Laura though...
Also from my experience: your bosses will SCARE you on purpose about signatures/ money issues so you'll make sure next time it will get done 100%... I wouldn't worry too much if it was your first "error".
:)

From what I was taught by some hot shot consultant that was hired for our company, if someone calls for a reference you should only verify that the person was under your employ from the time they stated. Giving more information can, and apparently has, gotten companies sued.
As the consultant related to us, a company had been contacted for a reference, they gave a negative reference which directly related to the person NOT getting the job. The person ( somehow ) found out about the negative reference keeping them from getting the job, sued and won.

Our company policy is A: if someone calls for a reference they can only speak to our HR department. B: Our HR department will only verify that a person was employed with us and say whether or not the employment time is accurate with the person's resume.

From what I was taught by some hot shot consultant that was hired for our company, if someone calls for a reference you should only verify that the person was under your employ from the time they stated. Giving more information can, and apparently has, gotten companies sued.
As the consultant related to us, a company had been contacted for a reference, they gave a negative reference which directly related to the person NOT getting the job. The person ( somehow ) found out about the negative reference keeping them from getting the job, sued and won.

Our company policy is A: if someone calls for a reference they can only speak to our HR department. B: Our HR department will only verify that a person was employed with us and say whether or not the employment time is accurate with the person's resume.

This is the correct answer.
You cannot say, don't hire someone because of such and such reasons. About the only thing that they can ask you and you can answer honestly is whether or not you'd hire them again.
And besides when I got hired at the place Im at now they talked to the HR at The Home despot. I know this for a fact cause the Current HR at my work told me so.
So Laura has nothing to fear.

That's what I THOUGHT at first, but I guess Petco must be different...
people STILL call me for hiring ex-employers and they are the ones who ask me all those questions...

We were never told anything about suing... If someone puts Petco on their applications, and the time frame they were employers there: people will call and ask to speak to the manager... then when I picked up- they would ask me all kinds of things about the specific person.

I wouldn't worry too much if it was your first "error".
I would. I'd wanna make sure it never happened again and I'd be scared that someday it would and my "free pass" for the first offense was gone.

That said, I wouldn't care much about getting fired from Home Depot haha.

That's what I THOUGHT at first, but I guess Petco must be different...
people STILL call me for hiring ex-employers and they are the ones who ask me all those questions...

We were never told anything about suing... If someone puts Petco on their applications, and the time frame they were employers there: people will call and ask to speak to the manager... then when I picked up- they would ask me all kinds of things about the specific person.

Individual PetCo stores Don't have HR managers, do they?

The only time we would ever bother calling an individual store (a company that is on The Work Number, that is) for verification is if there was a discrepancy with the information given by The Work Number, and if then the corporate HR office couldn't reverify the employment.

As far as Petco goes, they are on The Work Number, so inquiries for employment verification are actually supposed to be directed to them. Reference checks are different from employment verifications, however. But like I said, there's probably little chance that Laura's next employer is going to need a reference check for Home Depot on top of the employment verification.

They may ask for references, but they don't necessarily have to be people from Home Depot.

I was sorta sick last night. I'm completely sick today though! Yay! Currently trying to work out some more poop, and I've got plastic grocery bags at my feet in case I start to hurl :)

I know some people that are fast enough to do everything in the toilet, but personally, my face is not going near my ass-piss.

I would. I'd wanna make sure it never happened again and I'd be scared that someday it would and my "free pass" for the first offense was gone.

That said, I wouldn't care much about getting fired from Home Depot haha.

you're right, if Home depot was my career- i would worry and hate the fact that I made a mistake (although it happens) but I doubt Laura sees herself retiring from Home Depot.... so in that case: I wouldn't worry too much if it's her first error...

Well sometimes a verifier will call for a "reference check" but actually dupe the person who answered into verifying employment while they're at it, which isn't exactly how that's supposed to go, if the company already has a method set aside for verifying employment (such as The Work Number).

Yep, we have the work number: but for some reason employers still call directly to the store...
I get calls for my cellphone from people who put ME specifically as a reference when I managed, but that's something else...
To the store itself we used to get many calls for people... strange.