Scandinavian Language Music

M3

Mar 13, 2007
United States
Alright, so I was hoping someone here would be able to help me with this. As I have long been completely obsessed with Scandinavian music and culture, I was interested in finding more bands that sing in their native languages. I'm already familiar with some bands (like Kent and Sigur Rós), but I was hoping to find more. The music I'm looking for doesn't have to be Metal, but if it's Black or Death Metal, some singing along with the growling would be preferable (so I can actually comprehend what is being said). In particular, I'm looking for bands from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Greenland. However, other Nordic and Baltic type bands are also welcome.

If you like very original sounding viking (early) / folk / pagan / black metal in the vein of Bathory, you should try definately Moonsorrow.. I would say that its probably the most popular Finnish band outside Finland (well ofc after Nightwish, Him etc.). If you like Moonsorrow (or even if you dont) you should test Finntroll too. It's could be best described as Humppa Metal.

You could also try Korpiklaani, It's more folk based viking metal / rock and they don't sing with harsh vocals that much so I guess you could find it interesting because of the easy-to-hear-and-understand-vocals. There are plenty of else ofcourse but since Im more black/death metal kinda guy, bands that fits your description doesn't jump into my mind atm.

If you are somewhat open to different music, try Jakob Hellman. swedish pop singer.. amazing. http://www.myspace.com/jakobhellman
Christer Linder does some swedish songs (although none on myspace it seems).http://www.myspace.com/kristerlinder
also, the few songs i have heard from seigmen (Norway) is really good. http://www.myspace.com/unmsseigmen

I wasn't aware that Krister had any Swedish songs. Krister Linder is a phenomenal musician, though. I actually own Songs From The Silent Years, so I'm a big fan of his. His work on the Soil's Song remix, as well as his appearance on Seba's debut album (released this year) really showcases his immense talent.

I also agree with your comment about Seigmen. I haven't heard much from them, but what I have heard is pretty good.

I always enjoyed Kari Rueslatten's (ex-3rd & the Mortal) demo CD years ago. Folk, all sung in Norwegian. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out just as soon as I get the time to listen to the 3rd & the Mortal.

I have been enjoying Myrkgrav lately as a recommendation after listening to Falkenbach.
One man band from Norway. There's a few samples up on last.fm as well as myspace.

Vintersorg, maybe? Some kind of folk/power metal.

The albums - Till fjälls and Ödemarkens son.

actually i remind
trettioariga kriget/ finntroll/vintersorg/thyrfing should sing in swedish
ulver/trollfest in norwigian
sigùr ros in icelandic
actually is what i'm able to remind , i will let you know if i will recognize something else