Scanner, and Saviour Machine

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
While in Greece a year or so ago, i became good friends with the ower of a music store in Glyfada. Mike turned me onto two bands and honestly i play them all the time. One is a band from Germany called Scanner, awesome band. The other is Saviour Machine with Eric Clayton on vocals, now you talk about vocals that will hypnotize you, his will, damn both of these bands are awesome, but alas but have since left the music scene. Has anyone else heard of them or any of their work, you won't be disappointed. :headbang:

Scanner is one of the best power metal bands in existence. I'd love to see them play the US, but unfortunately their last album struck a bad chord with a lot of people, for reasons I don't understand.

I've never heard of Scanner, but I'm a pretty big Saviour Machine fan! They're music takes some getting use to, but it's good stuff! I've never bought the second part of the trilogy, because people say it's boring. Do you agree with that?

Pyramaze51, you need to check out the most recent Areyon CD since you're a big Eric Clayton guy. He plays a large part in that rock opera. Most people love it, but it's still having to grow on me. It's good stuff too though!

edgeofthorns said:
Pyramaze51, you need to check out the most recent Areyon CD since you're a big Eric Clayton guy. He plays a large part in that rock opera. Most people love it, but it's still having to grow on me. It's good stuff too though!

Thanks Edge i will go out and get it tonight. And your right his voice is amazing but does take some getting used to.

I found out about Saviour Machine from Ayreon's latest album. I loved his low voice, which isn't all that common in metal. He also sounds very passionate, a bit similar to Devin Townsend. It seems like they're only very popular in Europe, though. I'll get some of the Legend series albums sometime.

booB said:
Scanner is one of the best power metal bands in existence. I'd love to see them play the US, but unfortunately their last album struck a bad chord with a lot of people, for reasons I don't understand.

Scanner's "Ball Of The Damned" is a fantastic album, and should be in everyone's collection. Older stuff like "Hypertrace" is very simular to early Helloween. Not suprising, since both bands started at about the same time.

Unforunately the band is in constant turmoil. The last album "Scantropolis" featured yet another new lineup featuring a female singer. Not that I object to female singers, far from it, but that had a lot to do with why it went under the radar with a lot of Scanner fans.

Now... got to go check out this Savior Machine thing....

I wouldn't really say Saviour Machine is that comparable to Virgin Black...besides them both being Christian themed bands with operatic styled vocals and gothic in nature, both progressive and rather symphonic. For all of their similarities, they sound completely different. Odd, ay?

booB said:

Probably because their start was powerful German metal in style and the last one was just a flat, wimpy piece o' shite. I mean, how can you have a singer/screamer like S.L. Coe on "Terminal Earth" , one of the killer metal cds of all time for me, and then wind up with some artsy-fartsy girl metal? Not that I oppose female singers. Actually, it's quite the opposite. It's just that this particular singer was not up to Scanner quality.

SAVIOUR MACHINE RULES! I Have been trying for a few years to get them back to Minnesota. NEVER at the club where they got kicked off the stage cause they look like Heathens. BTW.. it was a christian club that did that...

Scanner fan since 93'....

I discovered them by mistake when I bought their "Hypertrace" album used on cassette for .99 cents at a used CD store in town. It was an excellent discovery!

I believe I was the first (only?) person wearing a Scanner T-shirt at PP II.... I think there some that can recall the conversations that started with that "Ball of the Damned" T-shirt. :D

"Scantropolis" is highly underrated, and is their 2nd best album of their carreer... looking forward to the next one, which is due very soon form what I've heard.

\m/
Dustin

Dustin said:
Scanner fan since 93'....

I discovered them by mistake when I bought their "Hypertrace" album used on cassette for .99 cents at a used CD store in town. It was an excellent discovery!

I believe I was the first (only?) person wearing a Scanner T-shirt at PP II.... I think there some that can recall the conversations that started with that "Ball of the Damned" T-shirt. :D

"Scantropolis" is highly underrated, and is their 2nd best album of their carreer... looking forward to the next one, which is due very soon form what I've heard.

\m/
Dustin

Ball of the Damned and Hypertrace rock nads. Killer stuff if power metal is your thing. I wasn't thrilled with their last cd, I'm hoping for something good to come out of them. How the hell are ya Dustin!?
:headbang:

I believe I was the first (only?) person wearing a Scanner T-shirt at PP II

A friend of mine wore a Ball of the Damned shirt to one of the ProgPowers (I think it was III). But the coolest shirt ever worn at a ProgPower event was Alex G's Tad Morose - Sender of Thoughts shirt at ProgPower 1.0... when most people didn't even know who Tad Morose was yet. LOL

I'm surprised to see none of you Scanner fans mention Mental Reservation. That is by far their best and most memorable album, IMO. Both Ball of the Damned and Scantropolis were a step back production-wise, though both of those albums are indeed awesome.

JCMRecords said:
SAVIOUR MACHINE RULES! I Have been trying for a few years to get them back to Minnesota. NEVER at the club where they got kicked off the stage cause they look like Heathens. BTW.. it was a christian club that did that...

JCM, will you enlighten me a little more on what you're talking about? I've been into Saviour Machine for over a year now, and I wasn't aware that they've ever played the states! I've noticed that some of Legend III was recorded in my home state of Tennessee! Nashville on top of that! I'm sorry, but I have a problem with that! A goth band recording in Nashville amongst the likes of Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, and Diamond Rio! It just struck me as ironic.

booB said:
I'm surprised to see none of you Scanner fans mention Mental Reservation. That is by far their best and most memorable album, IMO. Both Ball of the Damned and Scantropolis were a step back production-wise, though both of those albums are indeed awesome.

:hotjump: Doh! I COMPLETELY forgot about that release! See what happens when I reply here while I'm 70 miles away from my cd racks! As A penalty,
I'll have to pop these three in when I get home....

edgeofthorns said:
I've noticed that some of Legend III was recorded in my home state of Tennessee! Nashville on top of that! I'm sorry, but I have a problem with that! A goth band recording in Nashville amongst the likes of Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, and Diamond Rio! It just struck me as ironic.

Nashville is far more than just a country-music city; it's really a good overall 'music' city. Sure, it's known mostly for country, but there are several good artists from there, lots of production and CD manufacturing outlets, etc. I've seen several shows there (not country shows :)) and have been impressed with the musical 'feel' of Nashville.

Heck, I've never seen a music store before or since that sold, in addition to the usual guitars and basses and drums and keyboards, full trusses and lighting rigs. :tickled: