Schecter Blackjack

Nitronium Blood said:
You bastard. I can't believe you have the cheek to dis-respect a pickup that is James Murphy's choice.

And why use unecessary sarcasm, you little prick?

I don't think it was unecessary. Dry wit is something that makes this forum lively every now and then, doncha think? Andy himself is the master of it.

I wasn't disrespecting the EMG 85, I'm merely incinuating that 7 string pickups are more suited to 7 string guitars than 6 string pickups, so there's no need to get overly defensive. Playing the role of damsel in distress on James' forum about it isn't really going to do anything either...

Anyway, let's not do this here. Andy's forum is a place for intelligent and fruitful discussion, neither of which are associated with this barrage of barbs, yes?

Moonlapse said:
Playing the role of damsel in distress on James' forum about it isn't really going to do anything either...

Moonlapse said:
Andy's forum is a place for intelligent and fruitful discussion, neither of which are associated with this barrage of barbs, yes?
Yes, go on. Continue addressing me in your superior manner. It really impresses me.

Nitronium Blood said:
Forgive me for taking this off topic, but with regards to 7 string guitars... why would you want one?

On the heaviness quotient, could not one simply use really really heavy gauge strings on a 6 String to achieve a similarly desired tone?

Or am I missing something here.
7-string guitar = B E A D G B E
6-string guitar = B E A D F# B

Which makes chords very difficult on a 6-stringer tuned down, unlike on a 7-string where it's a normal 6-string guitar with an extra string - you can play all the normal chords, plus have that heavier one to play around with :)

Also, I don't think the average neck of a 6-stringer could withstand the extra pressure from using thick strings: my thickest string is a .070, followed by a .052.

Also, 7-string guitars usually have the strings much closer together (which I like) than on most 6-string guitars.

Moonlapse said:
Ooh, closer strings? I had no idea. Does that affect the 'cleanliness' of your vibratos (rubbing up against the other strings so readily etc.)?

Good point, Ive never thought about that. On certain 6 strings its already a little tight, but I suppose that there has to be a trade-off between roomy string spacing and having it be practical for chording.

Torniojaws said:
7-string guitar = B E A D G B E
6-string guitar = B E A D F# B

Which makes chords very difficult on a 6-stringer tuned down, unlike on a 7-string where it's a normal 6-string guitar with an extra string - you can play all the normal chords, plus have that heavier one to play around with :)

Why is it very difficult??? a lot of bands (Carcass, Soilwork etc etc) play in B
and I think that when they write music they think as their tuning is flat E, they're just 2 and half steps down.

Maurizio

kaomao said:
Why is it very difficult??? a lot of bands (Carcass, Soilwork etc etc) play in B
and I think that when they write music they think as their tuning is flat E, they're just 2 and half steps down.

Maurizio
Well, compare this:

Code:
E major:

7-string:
E: |---
B: |-0-
G: |-1-
D: |-2-
A: |-2-
E: |-0-
B: |---

6-string:
 F#: |-2-
 B: |--

Fairly simple so far, eh? Let's try G major:

Code:
7-string
E: |-3--
G: |-0-
D: |-0-
E: |-3-

6-string
 F#: |-1-

Still possible, but it is not a true G major since the top G is left out

Let's have fun:

G minor add11

Code:
7-string
E: |-3--
B: |-1-
G: |-0-
A: |-1-

6-string
 B: |-1-
 F#: |-1-
 A: |-1-
Quite a stretch, and again the top G is left out

Ooh, closer strings? I had no idea. Does that affect the 'cleanliness' of your vibratos (rubbing up against the other strings so readily etc.)?
Not really, you just gotta be a bit more careful.

EDIT:
Fixed some total brainfarts from last night :p

Torniojaws said:
Well, compare this:

Code:
E major:

7-string:
E: |---
G: |-1-

6-string:
 E: |--
F#: |-2-

Ok But if you play on a six string guitar you don't have to transport what has been written on a 7 string, it's impossible you need that 7th string.
6 downtuned guitars has to be played as guitars on standard tuning, all you have is a heavier tone compared to standard tuning.
We're talking about different things :)

Maurizio

kaomao said:
Ok But if you play on a six string guitar you don't have to transport what has been written on a 7 string, it's impossible you need that 7th string.
6 downtuned guitars has to be played as guitars on standard tuning, all you have is a heavier tone compared to standard tuning.
We're talking about different things :)
Actually I made a total brainfart yesterday and fixed it now, see the chords again ;)

Well, usually detuning a normal six-string to B is done by players who don't need the high strings, like the style of Max Cavalera or Scott Ian.

When in metal we play the six string detuned it's hard to really need the major chords and open strings, usually the gain is so high that we end up playing two or three strings riffs, on the bottoms.

Am I wrong?
:err:

Torniojaws said:
Actually I made a total brainfart yesterday and fixed it now, see the chords again ;)
As I said we're talking about different things:
you're talking about transporting chords from 7 strings guitars to 6 strings guitars
As you have written the chord shape is different and it's hard on the 6 strings guitars playing the same chord.
I repeat: people in Soilwork or in Arch Enemy think about a regular guitar that sounds heavier just downtuning, they don't think as people who's got a 7 as an extended guitar (one string more).
7 strings is for people (IMHO) who want to shred, people who wants high pitched tones in solos and at the same time the heavier string (B low).
With a 6 string downtuned to B if you shred on the 1st string (B high) you don't have the same high pitched tone of 7 strings guitar.

Maurizio

Fabbio said:
Well, usually detuning a normal six-string to B is done by players who don't need the high strings, like the style of Max Cavalera or Scott Ian.

When in metal we play the six string detuned it's hard to really need the major chords and open strings, usually the gain is so high that we end up playing two or three strings riffs, on the bottoms.

Am I wrong?
:err:

Cool thing, Max Cavalera just plays with 4 string on his esp, I remember this...

Maurizio

Why does it at all matter that it's harder to play those certain chords on a downtuned 6-string than on a 7? If you wanna play something in a key that was written on a standard tuned guitar(6 or 7), transpose it to the open notes of your current tuning, or deal with it. It's not at all a big deal. Personally, I play downtuned 6 strings instead of 7's, and I have played a great deal of 7 strings. I prefer the tone that I get on the 6 string ones to the 7's. Why is that? I dunno. It could be that the pickup was originally designed for standard tuning, and tuning lower affects that pickup differently, and, to my ears, to its advantage. In terms of having "the 7th string to shred on, so you still have that high string," I've only heard a couple of players who made me really go, "Wow, that's why he has a 7 string!" Those players just so happened to be jazz guys, and one of them was actually using an extra high note instead of a lower one. I don't really care if people want 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or however many strings on their guitar, but as long as it sounds good, I'm all for it. This argument is entirely subjective, and the immaturity level of certain people here really degrades the overall quality of the forum.

Matt Smith said:
Has anyone played the Omen 6? How does it compare to the Blackjack? I know it's cheaper, does it suck?

The Omen 6 is not a bad guitar at all, just make sure you get it in the walnut satin finish. The solid colors are basswood, whilst the walnut satin is mohogany. It's a great guitar, expecially for the money. Very solid feeling, thick tone, great neck (if you like Schecters).

That said, you can find used C's and C-1+'s on eBay for no more than 50-75 dollars more than the OMen 6 goes for new.

I love my C-1 Stealth, killer guitar. Stock Duncans and Tonepros bridge for just 430, and that's new. I changed the DD/59 combo out for a Custom/Jazz, though.

DSS3 said:
The Omen 6 is not a bad guitar at all, just make sure you get it in the walnut satin finish. The solid colors are basswood, whilst the walnut satin is mohogany. It's a great guitar, expecially for the money. Very solid feeling, thick tone, great neck (if you like Schecters).

An idiotic question I know, but I've always wondered how much the wood type affects the guitar. My explorer is solid mahogany. I recorded one of the basswood Omens and it sounded good for the most part, but I noticed a kind of nasty buzziness (especially on real heavy palm-muted chunks). This was with brand new EMGs, too.
Do you think a C1 Blackjack would be less buzzy?

Matt Smith said:
An idiotic question I know, but I've always wondered how much the wood type affects the guitar. My explorer is solid mahogany. I recorded one of the basswood Omens and it sounded good for the most part, but I noticed a kind of nasty buzziness (especially on real heavy palm-muted chunks). This was with brand new EMGs, too.
Do you think a C1 Blackjack would be less buzzy?

The wood a guitar is made of is, aside from pickups, the biggest factor in tone.
Mohogany will generally have a thicker sound, with pronounced lows and mids.
Alder will be a bit thinner, with more high mids and highs.
Basswood is somewhere between the two.

(note that this is all for bodies, neck's are a different story entirely.)

What EMG's were you using? I find that in alder bodies, the 81 has a nasty high end buzz that I think you're reffering to. The basswood will have a bit of this buzz, as well. Mohogany works well with the 81 because it balances out the highs and high mids of the pickup with its darker and more bassy/low mid tone.

Is the buzz you're hearing in the form of a harsh high end? That's what I've always found with alder/81 combos. Basswood/81 will be better, but still have that buzz. For basswood and alder, I far prefer the 85; it doesn't have the harsh high end of the 81, and it sounds fuller in the lows, which alder and basswood can lack.

My main complaint with basswood, however, is that it gets dinged faster than a whore gets STD's. :erk: