Searching a cheap but nice sounding combo amp for the living room...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

it's my girlfriends dads birthday in a few weeks, and he wants to have a nice sounding, small amp (preferably Marshall) that sounds good with living room volume. I know some amps have switchable power amplifiers for using less watt, but I don't know a name of one. Maybe you guys could give me a hint... And it would be nice if it's less then 500 bucks.

Thanks!!

Well it really depends on what features you need.

If you want something that "does it all" but overall sounds so/so Line 6 Spider - $199
If you want pure tube at low volume without a ton of gain, the Epiphone Valve JR - $225
If you want something pure tube with good gain Jet City 333 20w Combo - $300
If you want something with the Marshall name on it and don't care if its cheap or sounds pretty bad MG30FX $250

Theres not much with "Marshall" on the front thats going to sound good at low volume and be cheap. Its not what marshall do well.

The MGs and AVTs are tollerable practice amps so long as you dont have high expectations.

Add to the list, assuming that he wants rock, not metal.

Vox valvetronix. At low volumes they do marshall sounds better than low volume & cheap marshalls. Very good price/performance for everything up to classic rock sounds.

peavey classic 30. Similar story, but a bit brighter than most marshalls.

Laney LC range. If you can get an LC15 then that will sound very good for lighter stuff at low volume and not break the bank.
Also the laney lionheart.

Blackstar HT5. Can get more into heavier territory with reasonable quality for practice, does rock sounds really well. I understand theres an HT1 now, too, a 1W version of the same. Has added novelty that may suit it being a gift well because it can come with one or two 1x10 cabs that make it look like a mini-stack.

Id say the LC15 or HT5 would be the best, but obviously it all depends on your budget. One of the valvetronix range is probably what I'd go for, since it sounds surprisingly good for what it is and is very cheap for what it is as well.

Jet City 333 seems a good bet.
Possibly a Orange Thunder 30? Switching it to 2 tubes and half power gets it to a pretty low level for home practice. Plus it has two channels (JC333 only has one) and an fx loop.

i´d ask first what does he play...but i support the jc20watter, because it seems to have a nice gainstructure and cover many grounds musically

Just to be a little different - possibly look into the Eganter Tweaker 1x12 15w combo (speaker is a Celestion G12H-30 - a $149 speaker alone). It can do Marshall type sounds (think more EVH brown sound and also AC/DC Marshall tones) quite well with the added bonus of being quite a versatile amp with other tones as well (switchable Brit/AC/US tone controls (Marshall/Vox/Fender) as well as a Modern or Vintage switch that changes the EQ voicing).

I have the head and 1x12 cab version and while at 15 watts cranked it can quite a bit above what would be considered bedroom levels and can be used for small gigs and things like that when needed. However - I suppose it can't be considered cheap at the plus side of $550 for the combo, $650 for the head and cab (unless you get the steal deal I got and the amp and cab used for a combined $420).

Very versatile amp for all but super over gained metal (but it does take pedals very well so with a little help it can get there).

Just another option - but possibly too expensive.