searching for a lyric

neonrebel

New Metal Member
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the music of Opeth but I'm quite entranced so far by what I've heard. I'm hoping some of you seasoned veterans might be able to help me locate a lyric. Nothing specific...as I don't really know if it even exists in their music. What I'm looking for is an Opeth lyric (or really any lyric from any band) that might be relevant to the topic of a paper I'm writing. The topic is, something that shines a ray of hope in your life during your darkest time. I figured, this might be a good place to start searching. To see if there are any lyrics that might be suitable. Something along the lines of someone being in their lowest darkest point but finding a sole ray of light and promise. I know this is an utterly odd request, but if anyone has any knowledge to share, I would be forever grateful. Thank you for all your help

Opeth is not the best source to find any rays of hope after a low period of darkness, unless you consider light darkness and darkness light; still, if I had to go for a lyric, that would be "White Cluster" from Still Life. For that you need to refer to the whole concept of that album, but here death is really what's going to give him the hope to be with his lover again. The guy is executed in front of a crowd -the woman died in "Serenity Painted Death"- and both dead they meet again: "Cloak captured sighs of relief / As the primal touch brought me back / And the last thing I did see is still here / Beckoning right behind me." Well, that's only what I think!

"Closure to bleak matters - Im leaving
End of a search
Coming of morning - Returning"

Especially when seen against the rest of the song, the end of Wreath is the 'Coming of morning' straight after the most utter desolation and darkness in the song. It just keeps getting bleaker and bleaker until at the last second there is a glimmer of a way out, the Deliverance. Fantastic song, and that theme is primarily what i see in the entire album.

^I don't share your view in that one. Some time ago I posted my own interpretation on that song, and the coming of morning is no kind of "Deliverance" there, but just the anteroom of the night, where the whole suffering takes place. "Returning" is the key word.

Well, typically...Opeth lyrics arent that great as it is. You could probably find something more poetic and relating to your topic in a band that is more lyric oriented than music oriented. Try bands like Rush, or Tool, or artists like Bob Dylan, or Joni Mitchell or Simon & Garfunkel. Youll probably find any of that more useful on this topic.

Demoke said:
^I don't share your view in that one. Some time ago I posted my own interpretation on that song, and the coming of morning is no kind of "Deliverance" there, but just the anteroom of the night, where the whole suffering takes place. "Returning" is the key word.

Really? Id quite like to read your thoughts of this. Id always taken 'returning' to indicate the passage back into daylight, as if there was originally light that had been shrouded by the darkness of night. Deliverance, the next song, does kind of shrug off the happy-chappy notion that Deliverance is that easy..But I dont think that suffering is exactly what takes place. The lyrics of Master's Apprentices are about finding something else, a Deliverance through that darkness (death?).
Thats why i think the whole album suits, finding something good amongst the pits of depravity.

...then again, they could just be a bunch of excellent, meaningless metal songs....

I agree with the others on Closure. Here are the lyrics to the whole song...

Heal myself-a feather on my heart
Look inside-there never was a start
Peel myself-dispose of severed skin
All subsides-around me and within

There's nothing painful in this
There's no upheaval
Redemption for my pathos
All sins undone

Awaiting word on what's to come
In helpless prayers a hope lives on
As I've come clean I've forgotten what I promised
In the rays of the sun I am longing for the darkness

there you go + although I think some of Opeth's songs may seem meaningless and I admit sometimes Mikael writes in such a rush, there's much more meaning in those lyrics than one might think... just my opinion.

Opeth - Wreath - Deliverance

Demoke

We start Wreath and the album Deliverance with kick-ass double base and an evil guitar riff. After 15 seconds this riff goes on while vocals come along to tell us:

Falling inside again
This nightmare always the same
Still never enough
Halting at the brink of discovery
Moving into the darkness
Leaking inside to cover up
Dragging me down and under
Entangled and undone at once

There are some verbs of movement even used in the progressive form of the verb implying even more motion. They are "falling," "moving" and "leaking." The kind of movement is one from up to bottom and also from outside to inside. This is also shown by the adverbs and prepositions ("inside," "into," "down" and "under"). We enter a dark world, that of nightmares, which is always the same, implying they often come upon the narrator not being able to get a solution or explanation to them as they disappear. We are already involved within the setting and already have a dark feeling supported also by the strong and heavy music.

Old memories
I'm not in need but wish to know
What are the tragedies
The history behind the walls

From 0:44 to 1:12 we find the second different riff. Here we are starting to get an answer to all this nightmare. The pictures coming to our first-person narrator, made explicit here, are "old memories," something from back in the past, or memories that have repeated for a long time. He wonders what the hidden meaning of these "tragedies," the ones causing this fear, is (nightmares are usually related to a feeling of horror).

Pacing further down
Familiar children's laughter
Dissonant and out of time
And their eyes are dead
Watching myself in a pool of water
Wearing the mask of a ghost
Smeared all across my skin
Rotten earth and insects

Up to 1:42 we go back to the journey we started in the first stanza and also to the first riff. Now we follow with our movement downwards the way to those nightmares. Two senses and two images are here involved, the first one being the laughter of children with dead eyes, and the second, the reflection of the speaker in a pool of water, showing himself rather like a dead and buried person when starting to get rotten with insect. What a view!

(Guitar riff)

For one minute we listen to a guitar riff repeated 4 times. Those guitars are way softer and the pace, slower. It is like getting some fresh air after the first amazing 1:42. The bass is here especially remarkable. Listen!

Endless night
Always preserving the calm
Movement behind
Bleeding animals in a field of fire
There is no absolution
Death is but a fairy tale
They are mere visions
They are afraid of me

From 2:44 to 3:40 we find a different riff with the same sort of tempo from the immediately previous section. The lyrics here follow almost a stream-of-consciousness technique. Phrases come here just juxtaposed just as some more images from those nightmares come. In this calm but endless night there is a wish implied for it to finish. Going back with another movement we see another vision, that of bleeding animals. The common point between the different visions is death, suffering... Despair is clearly felt in Mikael's death vocals.

(Guitar riff)

We listen now to the same structure we had before, yet for a shorter time (3:40-4:10). It is repeated twice.

Clear insight
A smoke is rising nearby
Dust covering my coat
Blend together to spell my name
Pale, covered me with sweat
There are no words left
Sole provider of death
Distorted faith in myself

From 4:10 to 5:06 we continue now with a similar section to the one starting "endless night." The guitar riff is the same and this part lasts for the same amount of time. The structure, the stream-of-consciousness technique persists and the image here is quite a frightening one: it describes in first person the moments before death. The listener is, then, identified with the main character here. The words "my," "me," "myself" support this view. His coat is covered with dust. Things get covered with dust only when time has passed by, so the writer sees himself aged in his death-time, pale and sweating, unable to say more words, and just hopeless. This leads to one of the peaks in the song.

(First solo) 5:06-6:53

We were left with the picture of our character dying. It is almost a theatrical moment and it is of a dramatic kind. The guitar solo starts off, and then there is some repetition where the production is really outstanding with sounds seemingly coming from unconsciousness. They really fit with the whole story at this point, especially 6:10-6:40.

Human harvest burning
Blackest pages turning
Twisted perception come true
Captured in dreams connected

This stanza has exactly the same riff from 6:10-6:40, lasts for 30 seconds and continues focusing on the last vision we had before the solo, that of the dying person. Here, rather than a visual image, we have an understanding of death in general, like "human harvest," not only that, but "burning." It is the very end. "Blackest pages"--pages get brown with the passing of time are now not only black, but "blackest," in what is a clear hyperbole or exaggeration- are turning. This dream is almost like real. "Come true" shows that the boundary between nightmare and reality is here especially thin now. This, together with the first person narration, are the two main devices used to "scare" the listeners more. The production also contributes to this effect.
Now we approach the second peak, the highest point in the whole song. Intrigued as we are, the second solo, preceded by some soft tambourine by Martin Lopez and soft sounds to undoubtedly highlight it even more. We reach now the 9 minute mark.

Staring right back
Spiritual decay -still seeking
Frozen in time
Mourn this departure - all watching
Calling me back
Closure to bleak matters - I'm leaving
End of a search
Coming of morning

Up to 9:51 we can see that the tempo of the song has slowed down, we hear the first soft vocals, the end of the song is getting closer and it seems as if we are approaching the solution to the problem, the understanding of the nightmares and the coming of morning and, with it, the coming of light and stability again.
As I said, there are here now two voices: the guttural vocals and the clean ones. They represent the narrator and the latter, the nightmare itself "talking" to him. This is more clearly found at the end of the song, where we see the last lines from the previous part but now also the key word of the song: "returning." It seems as if morning is coming and we will get back to a normal state. However, the whole feeling and accumulated fears come back again with the riff we had at the very beginning of the song. This makes the whole story start over and over again. In fact, this is cyclical, the fears cannot be either left behind or overcome, and I think this is the reason why this song is called "wreath": first, because of its connection to "death" and the second, because of its circular shape.

Calling me back
Closure to bleak matters - I'm leaving
End of a search
Coming of morning -returning

of course, that depends on the persons personal definition of hope, which if you look into some of the characters in the songs you find quite a few (although it is still rather depressing)
im taking a guess that you want to elaborate on what you think the lyrics defining moments can mean, so i will just ignore the music (blasphemey!) for this time.

"I am so alone, so cold
My heart is to scarred to glow
I wish the sunrise to come
Take my soul (away)
From this cold, lonely shell
I am free"
*from The Forest of October

"Do not turn your face towards me
Confronting me with my lonliness
You are in a forest unknown
The secret orchard
And your voice is vast and achromatic
But still so precious"
or
"It is getting dark again
Dusk shuffle across the fields
The evening trees moan as if they knew
At night I always dream of you"
*both from Black Rose Immortal

"I turned away my eyes
In pallor escape from the end
Fading time to leave from here
And less to fulfill my task
She would be safe and firm
Nothing of this is in vain
Taken away from stifling grace
And saved from the past"
*from Moonlapse Vertigo

*the entire song of the Face Of Melinda
and thats all for now

^Wreath was a good choice in my opinion

Cheers Demoke! You've obviously thought about these songs alot, and that was damn interesting to read - I see now that I was wrong about the ending of Wreath, thinking that the "coming of morning" was any true respite. That song suddenly means a whole lot more to me.

Oh, also I gotta say though that i disagree with claiming Closure has a happy ending. The last verse is not saying that at the "lowest, darkest point...finding a sole ray of light and promise", but that the darkness itself offers redemption. That is why he shies away from the sun, why prayer is helpless, and why he does not know what lies ahead ("awaiting word on whats to come"). People always seem to think that Damnation is happy simply because it is sung cleanly, but theres a dark side to it, definitely.