Seated Or Standing At Opeth Shows?

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
I for one love to enjoy a good show and not have to worry about getting knocked sensless by drunk moshers. I find it hard to pay attention to the music when I have to make sure I dont get knocked down and trampled. The floor can be very dangerous so I would prefer either being in the balcony or on the floor during a fully seated show.

Standing def. However if they were to let's say play SL from start to finish I might need to sit down for that.

Nice Shinning sig.

Simpsons lol

I saw The Shining for the first time 2 weeks ago and it chilled me bones eh. Plus Kubrick's fascination with numbers is insanely impressive.

I'm more of a sitting person as well, 2/3 Opeth shows I have seen were seated. And even at the general admission show, I still sat on a balcony. Angry moshers are so annoying. It is difficult to pay attention to the intricacies and subtleties of Opeth's music while thrashing around like a maniac.

I personally don't care. Just seeing the friggin' band is good enough for me, but I'm definitely not a mosher.

I've got to go with standing up, better headbanging position. But moshing, especially at an Opeth gig is such a shitty thing to do, considering that Opeth is mainly about the music, a lot, if not most people there are there for the music and don't want some 14 year old twat thinking they're hardcore shoving other people out of the way. If you want to do that then go attend a shitty Lamb Of God concert.

No idea. Haven't seen Opeth live before, but I imagine I would like headbanging just as much as sitting down and enjoying the show. But I have to admit, I'm usually a lot taller than everyone else at concerts, and that can be a pain in the ass ("can I stand in front of you??"). ;)

No idea. Haven't seen Opeth live before, but I imagine I would like headbanging just as much as sitting down and enjoying the show. But I have to admit, I'm usually a lot taller than everyone else at concerts, and that can be a pain in the ass ("can I stand in front of you??"). ;)

Headbanging and moshing are 2 totally different things. One can headbang, enjoy the show, and the guy next to said headbanger can glance over with a look that says "RIGHT ON!! THIS SONG RULZ!!"

One can mosh and smack into the guy next to said mosher and (A) start a moshpit if in the correct location, OR, (B) run the risk of seriously getting their ass beat by the pissed off guy(s) next to them. It all depends on perspective and location.

The moshers don't take up the entire floor. The pit usually turns into a circle and people are automatically migrated outword (unless they are part or want to be a part of the pit).

Good luck!:p

I've got to go with standing up, better headbanging position. But moshing, especially at an Opeth gig is such a shitty thing to do
Agreed.

edit: I felt so awkward trying to move along with the music (not headbanging per se but just keeping the beat) at the ProgNation show because of this.

I was at a concert last year, when this young kid came up to me and started hassling me for no reason...

Kept hitting me in the head with his thrash arm, and then pretending not to notice when I turned around.
After issuing him about 10 warnings, I finally fed him a few good ones and then cleared the premises...

Not proud of my behaviour - easily the worst concert experience of my life. I'm too old for drama - I'm just there for the music.
Some people seem to like aggressive music only because it validates their shitty hate-filled world-view...

So I guess I'm saying: stand-up show? Absolutely, as long as everybody can be civilized about it.
Otherwise, I'll take the sit-down show!

Simpsons lol

I saw The Shining for the first time 2 weeks ago and it chilled me bones eh. Plus Kubrick's fascination with numbers is insanely impressive.

Couldn't help but notice your quote at the bottom.

The Mighty Boooooosh FTW

Oh and uhh.... standing for sure. Well I guess it depends on the venue, but I'd want to have the best view possible.

Moshing is tons of fun.

But if it's for a band that I really want to enjoy like Opeth then I can't even imagine moshing. For both Opeth and Tool I went and sat in the balcony. I still head bang like crazy though...

Both. I like to get drunk and punch women as much as the next guy, but sometimes I like to sitdown and smoke a blunt while watching Opeth play.

never been to an opeth show yet but yeah on dream theaters show i prefer seated venues and they were all seated. I still stand but i prefer having seats too, im not big on moshing on bands like Opeth or Dream Theater etc