Second Wave of Retro-Thrash

Nov 18, 2006
Municipal Waste, Evile, Merciless Death... seems pretty suspect to me.

I want to hear from DBB on this.

The new Dekapitator is pretty good.

I've heard cries of untrveness too but I've yet to hear sensible arguments why this is so. HM has always been extremely self-informative and derivative after 1985 or so. Is it bad to like thrash so much that you want to play thrash? It might not make for good thrash, but is it bad?

There certainly seem to be more than a handful of bands that are simply playing Thrash Metal because it's trendy to do so at the moment, but there are a handful that I enjoy.

Most of this music is dogshit, churned out by people with no imagination for people with no imagination. The few bands working this territory that seem to have any creative intent are the ones that, like Skeleton Witch, are continuing the evolution of the speed metal/death metal hybrid that died out in the face of the explosion of pure death metal. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the early work of Kreator, for instance, that never got fully explored because they responded to the popularity of death metal by reverting to pure speed metal to distinguish themselves.

I like the bands Scars and Chaosfear. Though Chaosfears is thrash riffs without much lead guitar. That may change though as they got a guitarist back... from Scars.

oh come on guys...persecution mania?
It's not that they are the big sellers, especially if you consider them being on Earache :lol:

Maybe the label tries to trigger a hype, still not knowing that they are not Roadrunner, meaning they do not have the golden hand in terms of cramming down trends our throats. :heh:

I like their other band SSS as well. To me, that's way more thrashing than that whole mallcore that is supposed to be thrash. It has also way more to do with DRI and Suicidal Tendencies than Metallica, Testament or whatever.

Sauron from your neck of the woods thrashes circles around them.

But Rumpelstiltskin Grinder would be really the only band that I would consider “suspect” out of the whole batch of higher profile thrash bands that have popped up in the past few years. Over the top posing and posturing hovers over them like the stench coming off of dogshit that has sat in the sun for too long. That is old news, though.

As for the rest, I don’t know if there is really anything suspect about it as I would use the term. A bunch of young kids who have heard thrash for the first time are going all kinds of maniac about it and forming bands at a prodigious rate. Not surprising really, thrash is mainline heavy metal that goes directly to the brain and drives you crazy.

Being fifteen and Forward to Termination, Violent Restitution, Terrible Certainty and the whole ball of wax is brand new and shiny—I’d fall fast and furious in to a thrashing rage as well.

But there is the retro angle to consider, the tight jeans, the Reeboks, the Transformers and Thundercats t-shirts, Trivium being groomed and schooled to fill a niche in the market.

Tony Foresta, the lead singer of Municipal Waste, grinning and gabbing like a minstrel in a Revolver article while the magazine is trying to convince its readership that Atreyu is dealing a death blow to metalcore by mining “hair metal” influences.

Then you have a band with an album cover like this…

release_1_high.jpg

signed to a label that pushed the piss out of a band called I Killed the Prom Queen a year ago and As I Lay Dying is one of their flagship bands.

But after attending the Popcorn Festival and discovering that The Insane Clown Posse is far and away the most beloved band among the youth in the town I just moved to, a bunch of young people forming what amounts to tribute bands mimicking the nasal vocals of Hetfield on the No Life ‘til Leather demo and Schmier on Sentence of Death or lifting the 779th riff from Pleasure to Kill seems like less of a problem and more of a welcome development.

But it might depend on peoples ears in the end. “Warriors Ride on the Chariots” owes a lot to Sacred Rite’s “The Blade” but “Angels Never Die” owes a lot to “Cities on Flame.” But I think that there is a twist to all of them that adds an element of a unique personality to them all. And it is difficult to play the derivative card and something that I’m not really a fan of doing due to my own tastes and ideas.

But I could go on and on….I am of two minds about it all, and if I sat down and composed a post about it a week from now—I would probably type up something different.

I can understand how 90's metal kids grew up with a desire for something more substantial than the 'stylistic metal' the 90's were all about, and are reverting to tried and true formulas, really. Young guys playing straight-faced NWOBHM is the same as playing straight-faced thrash these days in my opinion, and it seems there's plenty of both going around right now.

I can understand the desire for honesty and a pure straightforward sound. However that which I cannot understand is the fashion of it. You should be able to play thrash the old way (the right way) and still be relevant and current in what the thrash means. It doesn't have to be a throwback! No matter how sincere it sounds, dressing up like the 80's sure puts an ironic spin into it. Also, what most of these bands home in on is the 'drinking and partying' type of thrash, which was what? 2 songs worth of lyrical material for the original thrash bands? Seems pretty vacant. High-tops and tight denim is jeans is pretty short on vision.

If any of these new bands make any thrash that deals with today's politics without sounding contrived and by-the-numbers, that's when I'll sign on for real. 'Thrash isn't back' until you stop talking ABOUT thrash and start talking through it.

Yeah its a neat soundbite, but means very little. And I'd say that some bands are 'talking' through thrash.

To copy from one of his profiles...this is what he likes:

127: alan moore, anaal nathrakh, arjen anthony lucassen, atomic rooster, ayreon, big wreck, blind guardian, blue öyster cult, borknagar, bruce campbell, buffy, bumblefoot, camel, celtic frost, chris degarmo, chroma key, cynic, dan swanö, daniel gildenlow, daria, dark tranquillity, dead can dance, dead soul tribe, deep space nine, devin townsend, dredg, eddie izzard, edge of sanity, emperor, ephel duath, fair to midland, faith no more, farscape, fates warning, frank zappa, freak kitchen, galactic cowboys, geoff tate, gilmore girls, godhead, gothic metal, h.p. lovecraft, hevy devy, hiking, his dark materials, his dark materials trilogy, honesty, hum, i mother earth, immortal, into eternity, jeff buckley, jellyfish, kate bush, kayo dot, kevin gilbert, kevin moore, killing joke, king crimson, king's x, mac os x, mars volta, mattias ia eklundh, maudlin of the well, mercyful fate, mikael Åkerfeldt, monty python, moonsorrow, muppets, mythology, neurosis, nightingale, nuno bettencourt, o.s.i., ocean machine, oceansize, opeth, orbital, osi, ozric tentacles, pain of salvation, peter gabriel, philip pullman, porcupine tree, progpower, progressive metal, progressive rock, promised land, psychotic waltz, pure reason revolution, queensrÿche, rage for order, reading, riven, riverside, ron thal, rush, samael, satan stole my teddybear, savatage, science fiction, scorpius, scott rockenfield, seismic, shudder to think, sleepytime gorilla museum, star trek: ds9, strapping young lad, tears for fears, television, the devin townsend band, the gathering, the golden compass, the mars volta, the simpsons, the sisters of mercy, the tea party, the tick, tool, toy matinee, ulver, vast, veronica mars, warrior soul, watchmen, women, young gods