Sept 27th Minneapolis Show Dedicated to Cliff Burton

Hey man, I happen to like Metallica and Cliff Burton. I don't know what the hell is your problem? You can dedicate your songs or whatever to Marcus Miller once you play a show, I don't have a problem with that dude. But stop being a psycho idiot, you come across as a complete moron, and yes, you will be banned.

Mike

Not to be a fanboy but I completely agree. Who is that guy to talk that way about a bassist that was lucky enough to express himself in one of the metal bands that is now a household name, and changed the way a lot of people thought of bass in metal.

I can't believe someone can talk like that about any musician, let alone a dead musician, wow.

And how can he question Mikael's dedication to him? That is really crazy to put it lightly. When he is in an amazing band that has people coming to their shows nightly, maybe he can dedicate a show it to marcus miller or something.

Until then: get a life, really.

P.S. I can't wait to see Opeth for the 5th time at HOB in Orlando on Oct 21st! I might try to meet the band this time, but it probably wont work out, because as always, Im carpooling. And Mikael, if you read this, I met Steven Wilson in the small CD shop show in Orlando last year, and asked him about progress with your project with him; he smiled and said he couldnt tell me. Is there anything you update us with, good sir? Hehe.

fuck metallica, fuck cliff, he has done nothing compared to someone like marcus miller (who is not only a legendary bassist, but also a very good reed player as well) and i dont care if you are a fanboy metalhead, cliff burton was so overrated it wasnt funny, the same as metallica. instead of dedicating a show to a half as good bass player thats died, why not dedicate a show to a better bass player? hes alive so im sure he will appreciate it more than cliff burton's corpse will.

i can, and will, compare fusion legends like gary willis to overrated trash like cliff burton. why? for one, gary willis' solos dont sound like complete trash, and two, gary willis has groove and rhythm, he has melody, he has technique, and he played in a band that combines 3 or 4 different styles into one.

metallica has never written anything and never will write anything that is good enough to stand up to any of the above mentioned bassists. there are even bassists in metal that are much more talented than cliff was. all this talk of metallica dying in 1986 is total bullshit. so what, he wrote most of the stuff? thats not a big achievement. metallica are infamous for boring thrash crap, power chords, completely horrible solos and too many riffs.

jackee if you like bass at all i suggest checking out any of them, and then compare them to the almighty cliff burton. god, what a fucking joke

That's the most retarded shit I've ever put my eyes on.

You, sir, have no common sense.

I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend new & improved, extra-strength

258Troll_spray.jpg

It gets the STUPID out!

Until Mike gets around to having the idiotic little cuntflap banned, just add his ignorant ass to your ignore lists like I did and watch the median forum IQ instantly climb 50 points.

Hey man, I happen to like Metallica and Cliff Burton. I don't know what the hell is your problem? You can dedicate your songs or whatever to Marcus Miller once you play a show, I don't have a problem with that dude. But stop being a psycho idiot, you come across as a complete moron, and yes, you will be banned.

Mike

:worship:

Oh my my...Weekends i use the computer to watch films and listen to music, rarely get online, and look what has happened :OMG:

In any case, great news on the Cliff Burton (RIP) dedication front :kickass:

this just turned into thread of the week.

Thanks mike for putting an end to our's and Vuashke's misery

Mike

:kickass::headbang:

Ok, so total fanboy here: MIKE POSTED ON MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy
:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy

ok, sorry about that. So, to actually add to this discussion,
P.S. I can't wait to see Opeth for the 5th time at HOB in Orlando on Oct 21st! I might try to meet the band this time, but it probably wont work out, because as always, Im carpooling. And Mikael, if you read this, I met Steven Wilson in the small CD shop show in Orlando last year, and asked him about progress with your project with him; he smiled and said he couldnt tell me. Is there anything you update us with, good sir? Hehe.

I asked Mike about this, and he said, quote "don't hold your breath." He said that Portnoy is excited and eager to work on it, but Steven Wilson is really busy with recording and producing and making films and such.

overrated, marcus miller owned that chump

well fine, he wasnt a bad player, but he cops too much praise these days, and just like dimebag its because of his death. he doesnt have shit on people like jaco, stanley clarke, marcus miller, gary willis, anthony jackson, and mendez

stop being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt.

stop being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt.

spot on ...
in his first post he says he wasn't a bad bassplayer, in his second he's saying he was total trash ... (i presume not intended in the positive way of pure trash metal).
seems like we had a guy in our midst who was very very dedicated to get people fired up on a forum of a band he doesn't really care much for (look up all the negative things he said about opeth). must say, often saw these kind of guys on the internet, but never one with such dedication and apparently way too much time to spare to do this every day for many hours for several months ...
if he's really banned now, i wonder what black hole he will fall in now that he can't do this anymore ... poor thing.

not yet

because its impossible not to like everything opeth is about, right? or metal in general, right? dumbass, some people in life dont care for cliff burton and there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying he is overrated, because he is. compare him to marcus miller, and please, for the love of god, tell me his is better than marcus miller. go on, do it now

Vuashke, man, we all have opinions. Marcus Miller cannot have written anything like Pulling Teeth basically because he would not think that way when he's holding his bass. Randy Rhoads (RIP) cannot write a solo or a song like a McLaughlin. They have their own trips. Comparing Cliff to Marcus is not only preposterous, but unfair. They are both exceptional players in their own right.

marcus miller is not just a great player, hes a revolutionary in the way TO play. his fusion recordings are top notch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_(SMV_album) any of those 3 guys blow cliff burton away. once you hear any of those guys play, your appreciation and like for someone like cliff burton will dwindle and, eventually, fade away. SMV are true genius when it comes to bass, and i dont care if none of them are metal, i say without a doubt they are fantastic. within a metal context cliff may have been ok, but when you put him aside the legends of all different styles of music his skill is just nothing

i dont see why that pulling teeth song is any good

and another thing about bass, give mendez some damn solo space in the new album, if there will be a new album. im sick of hearing the sound of a de-valued bass. the guitars get solo space, the keyboards get solo space, why doesnt the bass guitar solo space? this is a major downfall in metal music

are you for real? who cares if there are better bass players? mike could dedicate the show to the dead bird on katatonia's brave murder day cover if he wanted to, does it mean there are no better birds?

the thread has evolved behind the original post hedon. i was just sick of all the attention that cliff burton gets when there are much better candidates, such as, oh i dont know, marcus miller? the guys a fucking god

what does it all matter within this context?? ... like it or not, you're on a METAL forum, opeth is a METAL band, cliff burton did a lot for METAL and he died tragically on tour (something that bands probably can relate to).
in what way did anyone claim that those players are worse than cliff burton?? it simply is not the point ...

you did not reply btw, do you discredit the beatles for their achievements because they lacked technical skills? ... and you also didn't address the fact that you first said he was a decent bassplayer in metal, and then claim he was total trash ...

man, are you really that narrowminded???
do you think the opeth members are not aware of any of the musicians you mentioned? (i even saw at least half of them mentioned over the years by mendez!).
open a thread for appreciation of those bassplayers and you'll get a lot of nice responses of people who agree. but in this thread it is simply unrelated ...
if you dislike metal so much, what are you even doing here? you do seem to claim that metal musicians are mediocre at best compared to the allmightyness of fusion and jazz ... well stay away from this forum then. many people here appreciate that music as well, opeth appreciates it greatly, but we also like metal and appreciate other things as well.

don't know why i even try to reason with you ... you seem to have been born without any sense of logic anyway.

marcus miller is not just a great player, hes a revolutionary in the way TO play. his fusion recordings are top notch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_(SMV_album) any of those 3 guys blow cliff burton away. once you hear any of those guys play, your appreciation and like for someone like cliff burton will dwindle and, eventually, fade away. SMV are true genius when it comes to bass, and i dont care if none of them are metal, i say without a doubt they are fantastic. within a metal context cliff may have been ok, but when you put him aside the legends of all different styles of music his skill is just nothing

i dont see why that pulling teeth song is any good

and another thing about bass, give mendez some damn solo space in the new album, if there will be a new album. im sick of hearing the sound of a de-valued bass. the guitars get solo space, the keyboards get solo space, why doesnt the bass guitar solo space? this is a major downfall in metal music

Why do you even waste your time listening to music you don't like?..no doubt you believe that AC/DC's contribution to rock music is worthless because Angus Young can't shred like Steve Vai?...by the way, in MY opinion, most jazz fusion is just dull noodling. Jazz Fusion needs more blastbeats, heavily distorted guitars, songs about satan and growling vocals, that's the major downfall of fusion music.