Serenity Painted Death...

DamienTC

Feb 8, 2002
Denmark
Visit site
... is very good...

... but am I the only one who thinks that the first minute and a half is a bit cheesy and doesn't fit in to the rest of the song, which is dark and very heavy?

BTW, the growls in the chorus of that song is some of the best Opeth's done...

In fact, I always thought the whole intro to the song was the best part! Damn, I love that riff! Especially when the vocals kick in.

Still, best growls are on Orchid IMO....especially from In Mist....

Originally posted by DamienTC
... but am I the only one who thinks that the first minute and a half is a bit cheesy and doesn't fit in to the rest of the song, which is dark and very heavy?
If anything in that song is cheesy, it would be the whole "White face haggard grin, This serenity painted death" part...

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
If anything in that song is cheesy, it would be the whole "White face haggard grin, This serenity painted death" part...

Don't you think the flow and correspondence between the riff and the growling is utterly perfect?

There is nothing to this song that makes me enjoy it. Please, someone out there...tell me specifically, what makes this song good for you?

I cannot find any "hook."

Crap....
This song is evil...i don't mean EVIL (the metal word for 'awesome' or cool)...I mean evil...It must be 5 months or so. I layed down on my bed with dimmed lights and heard Still life while i was drifting away. This song is inspired by evil spirits that hide behind. I know it for sure!!

WAAAHHHHRGH.....

I mean, the cutt off at the end...it should tell you everything This song......is evill...I mean

EVIL!!!! evil....

WAHHHH...

PS: To sum it up: I don't like Serenity painted death....it bores me to death

I happen to like this song alot; especially the solos and the outro (IMO the best Opeth outro ever!).

There are some great riffs in there as well. And no, I won't search for the exact times of the riffs now.:)

Serenity Painted Death has:

[1]: The greatest Opeth intro, minus The Moor and Forest of October

[2]: The greatest Opeth solo. It may not be the most technical thing around, but it's the most emotionally stirring. After all these years, it still gives me goosebumps.

and

[3]: As has been stated, this song possesses some of the greatest Mikael growls.

This song is my second favourite, right behind The Twilight is My Robe.

Serenity Painted Death is very high amongst my favorite Opeth songs. I don't see any kind of cheesiness whatsoever. I find the song to be the embodyment of what I love about Opeth.

The intro is awesome... it speaks volumes of the emotion within.... the solos entwine with the rest of the song just like a natural 'correspondance', they fit in perfectly. I normally have a problem where a song (mainly in old-school metal) would just stop and out of nowhere you would just get a guitarist blowing his load all over the song and ruining the atmosphere completely... in Serenity Painted Death, Opeth build up and just let loose with these wonderful lead harmonies that weave together with the backing guitar perfectly... I really love how the song flows.

On a different note though I don't really like the 'white face, haggard grin' section... it sounds a bit forced.