Seriously bizarre movies

May 30, 2008
Iceland
I've been pretty interested in surrealist cinema lately and wondering if anyone can give me any good ones. Some strange movies I've already seen are: Eraserhead (well of course), Scanners (which I love), Memento, Brazil and A Scanner Darkly. I'm going to watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man tonight, and I have my eyes on Uzumaki which I hear is actually quite a hated movie. Any others I should see? They should be at least watchable though, they don't need to be that accessible per se but not incredibly boring and needlessly artsy.

If you like bizarre you will probably like japanese cinema. check these out.

Tokyo gore police
Machine girl
Meatball machine
Casshern

you can find these online at this store for genre cult movies www.hkflix.com you can find everything from kung fu movies, japanese horror, italian horror cult films, japanese cyber shock, spaghetti westerns and more.

I forgot to mention that one, but I have seen it and love it. Great movie.

If you like bizarre you will probably like japanese cinema. check these out.

Tokyo gore police
Machine girl
Meatball machine
Casshern

you can find these online at this store for genre cult movies www.hkflix.com you can find everything from kung fu movies, japanese horror, italian horror cult films, japanese cyber shock, spaghetti westerns and more.

I've seen Tokyo Gore Police which I didn't like that much but certainly a weird movie. I'll check out the others you mentioned; thanks for your input.

Also a huge fan of Braindead/Dead Alive although it's more ultragory than bizarre.

I watched The Human Centipede: First Sequence last night. Not one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, but certainly an original and twisted concept. Anyone seen it?

Ichi the Killer is one of my favorite Japanese films. The film's antagonist, Kakihara, is an excellent character played by a very good actor. I hear the same guy also has a role in the upcoming Marvel comics "Thor" movie.

I watched The Human Centipede: First Sequence last night. Not one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, but certainly an original and twisted concept. Anyone seen it?

I saw that the other night, rather twisted indeed. The most disturbing thing about it was how realistic the characters seemed, the girls holding hands really got to me, that's when it stopped being just a squeamish film and became quite sick. It worked really well as a horror movie though, worth a watch.

The Dark Backward - Judd Nelson with an arm growing out of his back and Bill Paxton having a menage-e-trois with two morbidly obese women- hard to find but check it out!

Santa Sangre - see what happens when you give the mentally retarded some cocaine; along with a whole other bunch of weird shit. Not great but definitely strange.

Shivers - creatures made of people's feces possess and turn people into sex crazed freaks.

Philosophy Of A Knife
- Unflinching, no holds barred, account of what went on at Unit 731 during World War II. Quite simply the most disturbing movie you will ever see. Some of it will really test your ability to watch.

Phenomena - Jennifer Connolly can telepathically communicate with insects and she must use them to hunt down a killer and her best friend is a chimpanzee. My favorite Argento film.

The Isle - see what happens in a remote fishing camp in Korea. Sadomasochism doesn't even begin to describe it. You'll never look at fishhooks the same way again.

In My Skin - French film about a woman with a really, really extreme case of self-mutilation.

Phantom Of The Paradise - DePalma's most creative film. That's all I'm going to say.

Irreversible - Similar storytelling style to Memento; but way, way better.

Gozu - already mentioned. Yup. See it.

When it comes to surreal cinema I´ll have to recommend the master of that sort of filmmaking; Louis Bunuel. Here are some good films of his:
The Phantom of Liberty (1974). The funniest film I´ve ever seen. Tremendous entertainment value. Bunuel also abuses narrative conventions here quite cleverly.
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972). This one is a great introduction to Bunuel. It´s more accessible than many of his films, but also just really good.
The Exterminating Angel (1962). Not sure if I recommend this as a first Bunuel film, but a personal favourite of mine. Really weird and funny. Some find it a bit disturbing.
Beauty of the Day (1967). Not Bunuel´s most surreal but a very good and somewhat accessible film. It´s about a bored middle- class housewife who decides to become a prostitute at a classy brothel in Paris. My first introduction to that eccentric visionary filmmaker.

So, other films I recommend which are surreal/weird are:
El topo (1970). One of my favourite films. It´s a surreal, stylish and violent western full of some of the oddest moments I´ve seen ever in a film. The director Alejandro Jodorowsky also made "Santa Sangre" and "Holy Mountain", which have been mentioned above. I like those films as well, but I think this is his best.
Last year at Marienbad (1961). This French film is the most visually stunning films I´ve ever seen. I´ve never before or since seen such impressive cinematography. The storyline is very vague and ambiguous, and can be interpreted in many different ways. It takes place in a villa somewhere in the French countryside where a bunch of rich people are passing the time by gambling, hunting, watching play´s etc. We follow this man who the entire film is trying to convince this woman that they have met before, but she does not remember him. He, however, is very determined in making her remember their earlier meeting, and follows her around in an almost stalker- like fashion. As the film progresses we don´t know whether what´s taking place on the screen is the past or present, reality or imagination. A truly unique film and an important work in cinema history.
Werckmeister Harmonies (2000). My personal favourite film (hence, my user name;)) I fully understand that this is not a film of everyones taste and I don´t really recommend it to everyone, but for those who are able to enjoy this film on it´s own terms, you are in for one of the most unique and rewarding cinematic experience available. This is a deeply philosophical film with some really impressive cinematography (the long takes sometimes try the patience of some viewers). The film is made by the Hungarian director Béla Tarr, one of the most respected filmmakers of our times. The film is all at once dark, bleak, beautiful, mesmerizing and full of some really odd and eccentric sense of humor.
Daisies (1966). A brilliant little film from the Czech New wave. It´s both a pioneering work of modernist and feminist cinema. It centers on two girls who decide to show society the finger by engaging in strange and eccentric pranks, and generally living a marginal lifestyle according to a rather nihilistic world view. A very playful and entertaining film. Very different from the stereotype most people have of Eastern- European cinema.