Movies

Life of Pi

I didn't really plan on watching this film, although I enjoyed some previous Ang Lee's works. However, I'm really happy I did. Good film, very interesting to watch.

Just saw Pacific Rim. Solid film. Guillermo del Toro knows how to pace a movie and the visuals are top notch. He shows up both Peter Jackson and Michael Bay in his take on Giant Robots vs Kaiju.

Priceless moments in the film for Hellboy fans as well. Stay at least half way through the credits.

^^^ I've heard good reviews about that movie, at first I thought it was a Transformers rip off.

And Mama I want to see. Plus all the others you guys have mentioned. Hell I don't have time now but when I hibernate this winter I have a "to do" list. Thanks.

Just saw Pacific Rim. Solid film. Guillermo del Toro knows how to pace a movie and the visuals are top notch. He shows up both Peter Jackson and Michael Bay in his take on Giant Robots vs Kaiju.

Priceless moments in the film for Hellboy fans as well. Stay at least half way through the credits.

I agree. Saw it last night and I was very impressed. Definitely not a perfect film, but it's definitely the most intelligent monster movie you'll (probably) ever see.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/08...o-feature-film

BEN AFFLECK REVEALED AS BATMAN IN WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ NEW SUPER HERO FEATURE FILM, NOW SLATED TO OPEN JULY 17, 2015

BURBANK, CA, August 22, 2013 – Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.

Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.

Production is expected to begin in 2014

Can't abide Snyder. Thought he made a complete hash of Alan Moore's brilliant comic, The Watchmen, and made a remake of Dawn of the Dead that completely missed the essence of everything that made the original so good. If he were to film an adaptation of Moby Dick it would come out looking like a dumbed down version of Jaws with more splashing and quick cut CGI.

As such, Affleck is the least of my worries. Yes, Daredevil sucked, but that was by no means entirely Affleck's fault. Even Colin Farrell looked like a hack in it.

I hope the upcoming Kalevala movie (in theaters November 15) is not gonna suck too badly. The trailer leaves me rather doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
From that confusing trailer and the hints given by the director in a recent interview, I gather that it's about some present-day dude who somehow ends up amidst the Kalevala heroes, presumably to find his true purpose in life. I'm halfway expecting it to look like some sort of extended Amorphis video...

Haha, okay, I will not watch it then.

But it brought a thought to my mind - has there ever been any (good) film adaption of Kalevala stories, preferably from Finland (I think there was one in Russian, but I'm not sure)?

Rauta-aika (here's a few clips from it) is pretty good, but it was a four-episode TV series in the early eighties, not a single movie. The script was written by Paavo Haavikko and included a fifth episode featuring Kullervo, which for some reason wasn't filmed. Haavikko reworked that part into "Kullervo's Story", which some twenty years later again again came close to movie adaption. That would have been the one with the Amorphis soundtrack, but getting Eclipse instead was no bad deal either.

Thanks for the link. I might watch it these days, if my internet has mercy.
I've heard about "Kullervo's Story", but I didn't know Amorphis would have been doing the soundtrack.

I saw The World's End last weekend. It was great, definitely the funniest film i've seen (in theaters) in years.

I'm hopefully going to see Riddick this weekend. The first two were ok (or so I think, haven't seen them in years) but the new one looks pretty ace.

Has anyone see the trailer for 47 Ronin? It looks great, can't wait.

The Hobbit, pt. 2
I still haven't gotten over my total disappointment with what I saw last night. If you're a Tolkien fan, be warned!

I actually liked it, a few points of criticism (Beor in particular, and the superfluous battle alongside the river rapids) notwithstanding. Maybe I have a bit of an elf fetish myself (don't worry, Trin, it's got nothing to do with Orlando B - in fact I was a bit disappointed to see Legolas fancying a female, never took him for a hetero). But that other hint of romance was stretching it a bit for my taste, too, although I can't accuse the lady of bad taste. :D

Trying to catch up with TV series lately.
Saw all three seasons of Sherlock and enjoyed it a lot, especially considering that I had some serious misgivings, being an Arthur Conan Doyle fan. But it actually turned out really well - there's only so many traditional Victorian interpretations one can see. Besides, Benedict Cumberbatch is a very unorthodox Sherlock. I like it.
Now I stared on Breaking Bad. Saw all of Season 1 one last night, tonight I'm starting on Season 2. We'll see how it goes, but so far it's interesting enough.